1998 ford explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 ford explorer

mlteec1

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
hi all new to site and not sure if this is right place to post a question about my truck or not but will try and see what happens my truck sounds like sometimes when goes into overdrive it does so with a thud and sometimes when you start to stop it vibrates and when the rpms go down low enough it stalls out you can restart right away but in order to get going you need to ride the brakes a bit while keeping rpms up just a hair then let off brake and drives ok for couple days not sure but thinking may be something to do with trannyany ideas out there thanks to all

Sounds like a tranny to me, the thud when the engine flares is exactly what mine is doing now. On my 2000xlt it's the selenoid or selenoids that control the shift into second gear going out. My tranny guy says drive it till it don't drive no more, then we rebuild it for $1600.00. He believes in getting the most out of the tranny before rebuild.

I would talk to a reputable tranny shop, they can read codes to see if the tranny is messing up enough to register a problem with the computer, and it won't cost you a thing. Also does your O/D light ever flash, if it does definetely get the codes read soon.

I am not a mechanic and can't vouch for the professionalism of these comments, I just have an Explorer doing strange things every now and then.

David

Back