How to: - 1999 Ford Explorer Rear Differential Vent Installation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 1999 Ford Explorer Rear Differential Vent Installation

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

Lee's Automotive

Git-R-Done
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC
Hello guys I just posted a new video on the installation of a rear differential vent on my 1999 ford explorer hope you all enjoy if you have any questions, please let me know

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello guys I just posted a new video on the installation of a rear differential vent on my 1999 ford explorer hope you all enjoy if you have any questions, please let me know

Awesome this was on my “to do” list when I rehab the Explorer this winter.

Awesome this was on my “to do” list when I rehab the Explorer this winter.
Yep, the part number for the one-way vent is 924-284 and you need a foot and a half of 5/16 hose i used trans cooler line and the part number for the axel vent is 924-263

Ill take out my other computer and I'll subscribe to lee's automotive

Nice video and clear explanation! Never knew it had a vent, but without the hose I can imagine rain getting in there. Will check mine for a hose and do as you did. I might be having differential trouble as of yesterday, want to check if there's still fluid in it and likely change it out, who knows how old it is. Where is the access to check that?

Nice video and clear explanation! Never knew it had a vent, but without the hose I can imagine rain getting in there. Will check mine for a hose and do as you did. I might be having differential trouble as of yesterday, want to check if there's still fluid in it and likely change it out, who knows how old it is. Where is the access to check that?
There is a 3/8 plug on the rear of the differential you'll need a 3/8 drive extension and ratchet and you'll use the box end of it to loosen and remove the plug fluid should be at the bottom of the fill plug hole also if you do end up changing the fluid there was a TSB for these differentials to use 75w140 where 80w-90 was required also for a gasket I recommend the gasket I posted down below since it is reusable and leak proof and that is what I used when I did my differential service, if you have any more questions or issues please let me know and I'll try my best to help

Amazon product ASIN B07Z8X85G1

Also, if you have a LS rear end don't forget the friction modifier

There is a 3/8 plug on the rear of the differential you'll need a 3/8 drive extension and ratchet and you'll use the box end of it to loosen and remove the plug fluid should be at the bottom of the fill plug hole also if you do end up changing the fluid there was a TSB for these differentials to use 75w140 where 80w-90 was required also for a gasket I recommend the gasket I posted down below since it is reusable and leak proof and that is what I used when I did my differential service, if you have any more questions or issues please let me know and I'll try my best to help

Amazon product ASIN B07Z8X85G1
Looking from the back of the truck at the (rear) differential, I didn't see any plug. It's a stock 98 XLT with the v6 SOHC and 4wd. Read someplace it has 3.73 gears if that's relevant to the LS and friction modifier, If if was stock, for the XLT, I guess I'd have them? (Wish I'd learned mechanics at your age, but women doing that back in the '70 s were a bit rare, LOL) Thanks for your help!

Looking from the back of the truck at the (rear) differential, I didn't see any plug. It's a stock 98 XLT with the v6 SOHC and 4wd. Read someplace it has 3.73 gears if that's relevant to the LS and friction modifier, If if was stock, for the XLT, I guess I'd have them? (Wish I'd learned mechanics at your age, but women doing that back in the '70 s were a bit rare, LOL) Thanks for your help!
No problem and yes 3.73 is LS so it would need modifier also i attached a photo of the fill plug make sure you can remove it fully before draining your differential
6.jpg

I'm confused now (no surprise) What I was looking at is round with bolts along its circumference, similar to the 'pumpkin' found on older cars I've had. Unless this pic you posted looks like that on its other side?

I'm confused now (no surprise) What I was looking at is round with bolts along its circumference, similar to the 'pumpkin' found on older cars I've had. Unless this pic you posted looks like that on its other side?
Yes it is on the rear of the differential also known as the pumpkin

Back