1999 Frod explorer 4.0 SOHC 4x4 thermostat housing replacement--how? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Frod explorer 4.0 SOHC 4x4 thermostat housing replacement--how?

john1971

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
Hi,

Has anyone ever done a thermostat housing replacement on a 4.0 SOHC? I have been looking for a step by step instruction on youtube, but have not been able to find one. I also have misplaced my chiltons manual.

I have had a 2000 ford explorer since almost new and love it, although it's showing it wear and tear.

I found a 99 explorer eddie bauer with a possible intake manifold problem (over heating and leaking fluid--no fluid in oil) that I originally bought for just the new tires on it for my 2000 explorer. Found a heater hose blown out in the back of the hose, which was throwing radiator fluid onto the top intake manifold, which made the old owner think it was the manifold. When replacing that hose, I broke the thermostat housing when reattaching heater hose to it (plastic that crumbled in my hand). Now I need to replace the housing and am having some issues with wires hanging over the housing, going to the crank shaft sensor and can't get that wire off crank sensor.

Any hints or links to where to find a video on how to do this?
john1971 is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

I know when I bought my 98 explore that the thermostat housing had a leak in it. if I remember right taking the thermostat housing off required removing the air intake and upper intake manifold.

Just replaced mine this weekend. Not too hard of a job, but I have small hands. Steps I took: Remove intake tube and sit to the side, then unbolt the throttle body (4 bolts), lift it out of your way. Then you have access to the thermostat housing. Unhook the hoses going to it (may take some pulling- there are three hoses total) this will allow access to bolts that need removed. remove three bolts that are located in a triangle on the passenger side of the housing. then unhook the sensors on top. housing will lift off and takes some wiggling to get it out. Reinstall is the reverse. Hope this helps.

Back