1999 Mountaineer recently purchased 259k | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Mountaineer recently purchased 259k

allmyEXes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
No. Alabama USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Blue Ex 4.0 SOHC
Callsign
KAGG 3611 (CB)
Back this past February, I heard about an Explorer/Mountaineer on a local online auction. I wanted to bid on it however I had just purchased a beat up 1998 5.0 powered Explorer with the transmission not working. A few days later, brother let me know that he was bidding on a 1999 Mountaineer 5.0. A complete driving truck in decent shape.
This is his 2nd Explorer/Mountaineer. A few years back, he bought a 1999 2 dr. The transmission was acting wonky, so he sold it. Here is a picture of his AWD 5.0. The front end is a little squeaky, but it runs well and drives good. Not bad for just under $1000. It needed tires.
1999 ex ken truck pic.jpg

1999 ex ken truck emblems.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice find.

Like the color combo. This generation of Explorers/Mountaineers have nearly gone extinct in my part of the country (MN). I rarely see one on the roads, anymore. The few that do trickle into the local JY's are a rusty, ratty mess that provide few useable parts. Feel pretty fortunate to have my rust-free driver with 195K miles that is still going strong. Amazing to think it's old enough to qualify for Collector plates. :D

I don't see the 2gs a whole lot in LA, 1gs either. Every so often I see one, but it's far and few. So many people say these are throwbacks! Utilitarian, rugged, easy to park... what more could one want? You can tow with them, take them offroad, take passengers... all for here at least a decent one is around 3-5k for a 150k awd v8/4wd v6 about.

We are fortunate that here in my home state, no road salt is used unless it were an extreme situation. If I were younger and had a team of people and a dream shop big enough to handle all of the work, there are solid 98 to 2011? Rangers, Gen IIs, Gen III Explorers, Sport Tracks 1999 to 2011 Mustangs, 1999 to 2012 Crown Vics, all solid and decent just needing major mechanical work. Most of the paint and body looks good on these.

I don't see the 2gs a whole lot in LA, 1gs either. Every so often I see one, but it's far and few. So many people say these are throwbacks! Utilitarian, rugged, easy to park... what more could one want? You can tow with them, take them offroad, take passengers... all for here at least a decent one is around 3-5k for a 150k awd v8/4wd v6 about.
I like how these vehicles are smaller in size to the huge crew cab pickups and suv's that dominate the roads these days. Get a kick out of watching some people (especially, women) try to park those behemoths in store parking spaces. I try to stay far away from them when choosing a parking spot for fear they will scrape the sides or back into my vehicle when they exit.

My brother was trying to find a way to turn off the "headlights always on" feature. I didn't look at his headlight switch to see if that is even possible.
Also, the "auto door locks" feature, he doesn't like either. I mentioned to him that unplugging the keyless entry module might take care of that.

Also, the "auto door locks" feature, he doesn't like either. I mentioned to him that unplugging the keyless entry module might take care of that.

I like how these vehicles are smaller in size to the huge crew cab pickups and suv's that dominate the roads these days. Get a kick out of watching some people (especially, women) try to park those behemoths in store parking spaces. I try to stay far away from them when choosing a parking spot for fear they will scrape the sides or back into my vehicle when they exit.
Funny you mention that. Some of my friends who's parent got them new CARS (not even a truck) I see them park slanted in the school parking lot. Keep in mind these are crosstrecks, civics, corolla, etc. Meanwhile first try I can swing the explorer into the spot first try :D Although, many times they see the winch bumper and hitch on the back and they usually don't park super close to me... :)))) so i think im in the clear haha

The auto lights are controlled by the rear view mirror
Push the slider all the way left they should turn off
If not unplug the mirror that will disable the auto lights

The auto lock feature I’m not sure about how to disable if you unplug the keyless entry well you will lose the keyless entry and nobody I mean nobody uses the keys in the doors anymore they hardly ever even work hahahaha

I think what brother is referring to is the feature that when you start the vehicle the head lights come on automatically. He would like to disable this feature. I may be wrong, but I think you are referring to the auto high-low beam feature.

Daytime running lights!

The rear view
Mirror controls the auto lights which leaves the lights on after you shut the car off

To disable the drl you just pull a fuse I believe… it’s been a while let me look it up

I hate daytime running lights, I’m old school I like to control things like lights and wipers lol

If it is equipped with drl you will unplug the drl module and they will go away

If it is the Autolites” that is driving him nuts those are controlled by the rear view
Mirror

Most American models of the Explorer did not come with drl active only required in Canada, odd that your 99 has them?

Back