2 bolt differential - with a twist | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2 bolt differential - with a twist

07EddyB

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bowling Green, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8
Lots of talk about the single bolt in the rear diff and how it would mostly affect the Explorers with the larger engines due to the increased torque available.
So - a little mental exercise - what about the Timberline with the standard limited slip differential? I understand that the engine torque is the same as all the 2.3L engines - but if you can put that torque more effectively down on the road then wouldn't that increase the load on the differential?
I haven't seen an option on an ST for a limited slip differential - so I am assuming at this point that it's counting on the 4WD system to get a hard start without just spinning one tire. Which of course would spread the engine torque out between the front and rear wheels.
But what if the rear can grab with both tires? Would that mean that the 4WD system would kick in slower and more of the torque would be concentrated into that rear diff for a longer period?
I'm not going to pretend that I understand the dynamics of this thoroughly but I wonder if the Timberline might be as vulnerable as the ST or the police units.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im not sure i completely understand the "effectiveness of putting owrr down" may just he missing something, but to my understanding, whether its an open diff or an LS it puts the same power down, its just a matter of how much force it takes to cause a differnwtiation in wheel speed around a corner. so imo effectiveness at putting power down on an equally grippy surface is the same. you are, howveer right that an LS does put slightly more strain on the diff, as when you begin to corner it wants to keep both wheels spinning at the same rate, and it puts up a "fight@ for a tiny bit until the force is too great and the clutches slip. in the X is a torsen, but its the same concept of torque till is slips. for example, if you take a mustang with an LS to drift, it keeps wheels spinning at the same rate. take an X with the same 8.8 ls and lift a tire and it free spins. its just a mayter of how much force it takes to cause slippage, so it would put slightly more streess on the diff, but not much imo. if the st had an LS it would make for slifhtly better grip off the line, but i have a feeling the awd and trac control do a good enough job at distributing f/r power to make it alright without one. just my 2c, and this is based on my limited nowledge of diffs

I was looking at the diff the other day, as im planning on a hitch install, its IRS, so why cant they put a second bolt?
the ear is there on the diff, and if memory serves me correctly the cross member has a plug/ spot for it to be thru bolted

The spot for the second bolt is not fully ready. It missed a stamping procedure or a matching procedure which would allow it to hold the bushing.

The spot for the second bolt is not fully ready. It missed a stamping procedure or a matching procedure which would allow it to hold the bushing.
i stand corrected, but there is a spot on the diff for a second bolt 100%

Back