• Register Today It's free!

2 or 3inches

nvrhapy

Reaction score
City, State
detroit, michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 sport
i have a 96 sport, 4x2, manual, i have already done a TT and shackles and have 31's on, i was thinking of a BL, can't decide between a 2 or 3 inch lift. mainly because the 2 inch is less involved and cheaper by about 50 bucks, any body got any input on what i should do, or pics of a 2nd gen sport with a TT and shackles, 31's and either a 2 0r 3 inch body lift. to give me some ideas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go with the 3" body lift. There is no difference, plus if you go with 2" you will want 3" later. It isnt less involved, you have to go through the same thing with 2" blocks in or 3" blocks.

i thought with the 2 inch you don't have to extend the steering, or shifter and with the 3 inch you do?

Well, technically no you don't have to extend the shifter or steering with a 2" but the shifter will be 2" shorter and the steering will still have more of an angle to it regardless if you go with 2" or 3" and which may shorten the life of the steering shaft joints. Go with the 3". You will want to later on anyway and with tt/shackels and a 3" body you could fit some 33's with some minor trimiing! :cool: :thumbsup:

Speaking of 2 and 3" body lifts, I know the rear bumper brackets don't work for the 3"; is that the case with the 2"?

I don't know for sure but I think you have to do some "monkeying" around to make them work for the 2" lift brackets.

The gap in the back isn't as bad with the 2" bl as it is with the 3". Often times, guys just leave the rear bumper stock with the 2" bl (which is stronger IMO).

And yes, the steering extension is more of an issue with the 3".

2" bls just tend to be a bit easier on all the components involved. Brakelines, radiator, steering, etc just fit better, without less modification, than the 3". This is just a general statement from reading about other's installs, I am sure many people have put 3" bls with little modifications needing to be made.

If you don't think you will need/want the extra inch, I would go with the 2". Then again, if I were you, I would save my nickels up and buy some lift spindles for the front, and not mess with the BL at all. :)

if i were to do spindles up front how hard are they to install and what do i do with the rear to level it out and how hard is the rear to do and whats the cost. so with the 2 inch Bl theres no other mods to make right.

I just did my 3" body lift and as far as steering went it was just a couple of bolts and an extension. As far as the bumper brackets...THEY SUCKED! I still got em to work with a little grinding.

i have done a 3" on my toyota.. not too hard, but i work at an auto repair place, so i have some knowledge of cars.... you will wnat to read and reread and read the instructions again.. ti is too easy to miss something important and it might cuase problems later..... i just went with the 3" because its an extra inch of clearance over the 2" if you wheel hard, that inch will make a difference in compression/clearance

what place has the best prices ona 3inch BL??

Back