$20 Custom build cold air scoop on stock air intake system! Is this ok or even legal? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

$20 Custom build cold air scoop on stock air intake system! Is this ok or even legal?

No every 400 miles! Damn ran out again. :(

I can usually get 430 miles a tank but missed the Flying J by 2 miles twice in a row. :(

Tried to get from I-85 SC Exit 75 to I-77 VA Exit 323 missed it both times. 438 miles only got 436 waaaaaaa.

Good thing I carry 5 gallons of gas with me! :)

$400???!!!

The most I have got is about 240, and that was with about 3hrs on the highway.

I avg at around 210. Little less with the AC on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how did you guys rig up an intake temp. gauge?

No LIE!

"$400???!!!

The most I have got is about 240, and that was with about 3hrs on the highway.

I avg at around 210. Little less with the AC on."

When I got the truck it averaged about 14 MPG. NOW I GET 22+ MPG on the HWY! Except when its hot , when it hesitates and only get 21.

22x19.4= 426.8! I've actually gotten 442 once!

Tune the girl up and solve all CODES! As best you can. They never go away.

229.820 K only 271.2K to go!
:D Or is it 771K? I Love my GIRL!

Awwwwww. your wife should like the mustang type scoop. Maybe you need to trade her for another model durn.. How sad... You could even rig it up with a flap like the ole Chevell had...worked off you vacuum . when you punched it the vac would drop allowing the fresh air to flow in for more power.. Ok you talked me into it. I will put one on my exploder.. Just the old cobra Jet style with out being a shaker. Is nice . Just don't run under water like I do sometimes... hmm need the snorkel hey there you go ugly but very functional... plus it will be high enouth to excape the tainted exhaust fumes...

There are two ways I have thought of.

First Idea is to get a $12 indoor/ outdoor wired air temp gauge for a car.

Put the main unit with display in the cab and run the remote sensor into the Intake. Either the Filter air box or intake into it.

Next Idea would be a wireless sensor for the house. Put the display in the cab and sensor in the intake stream.

Its only IMPOSSIBLE if you listen to the people who say it can't be done! :D

:salute:

Oh. BLAME CANADA!

LOL!!!!! Good thing the "Bridal Unit" isn't paying too much attention.

Awwwwww. your wife should like the mustang type scoop. Maybe you need to trade her for another model durn.. How sad... You could even rig it up with a flap like the ole Chevell had...worked off you vacuum . when you punched it the vac would drop allowing the fresh air to flow in for more power.. Ok you talked me into it. I will put one on my exploder.. Just the old cobra Jet style with out being a shaker. Is nice . Just don't run under water like I do sometimes... hmm need the snorkel hey there you go ugly but very functional... plus it will be high enouth to excape the tainted exhaust fumes...

LOL!!!!! Good thing the "Bridal Unit" isn't paying too much attention. LOL ;)

No! I'll put the Scoop on the roof! with a duct all the way back to the DIY blower(Supercharger).

A mind is a terrible thing to waste!

It only IMPOSSIBLE if you listen to the people who say it can't be done!

Oh, I almost forgot. BLAME CANADA! :D

Do you know how many Cubic Ft. of air your engine consumes in one Minute.. No? I don't either . but to get 2 or 3 Psi you need to find a old Paxton Supercharger.. the leaf blower won't never reach those Psi's But Heck try it anysway.....

LOL!!!

Its only Impossible if you listen to the people who say it can't be done!

:)

At least I'm not experimenting on YOUR truck!

STILL CRAZY AFTER ALL THESE YEARS.

I can't find the right words to say here. the cool thing is it can also be a curb finder?

I can't find the right words to say here. the cool thing is it can also be a curb finder?

hahaha best one yet, I was thinking of a dust buster for the drive way....

LOL, I went to the local dive and parked right in front. I blocked half the sidewalk! almost lost a shin, or was it an eye.

Still haven't seen "Fluffy the cat". Where can she be? :D

That was the best one!

Maybe I'll start wok on Version 2.0 today before I kill someone.

OK, Bought some parts for Version 2.0 (DIY Supercharger) Don't laugh! it might work!

I picked up a blower assembly and some other misc. parts to try to make a homemade forced Cold air intake.

I was going to install the blower before the filter box.

What adverse effects if any, would be caused by the added pressure into the valve covers through the Crancase oil fill vent that feeds into the intake between the MAF an TPS? (The hose that runs into the back side of the Intake)

Or do I need to install the blower assembly after the MAF and oil fill vent?

I have seen some pics of CAIs and it would seem some people have completely disconnected this hose from the intake.

What ill effect could that cause?

I know I'm crazy but I just can't stop myself. :confused:

Thanks for your feedback! :)

The looks that Version 1.0 is still getting are PRICELESS!

You just have to love the gentleman's Don Quixote attitude.

disconnect your breather hose and put a filter directly to the valve cover. Seal off the breather side of the intake hose and you won't have to worry about stray pressure into the valve cover.

im so depressed now :( fluffly is gone an every one laughs sniff sniff. ok im not really sad but no one says hi to meezzz sad part is i gotta write on other peoples treads cause the ones i start never get much action sniff sniff

Wolfnuts you the best!

I AM still looking for Fluffy, I hope I find her before I add the blower assembly.

Its a Vacuum, MULCHER and a 200 MPH Blower! (with the V6 I hope to do better!) :D

That could be very bad for "Fluffy the cat" :(

Thanks to "trucku" and everone for the info!
"Aldive" when I finally get to 30 MPG I'll let you know. You are my insperation!

Now I just have to get all this SH*T to fit somewhere.

Take into consideration of the heat soaking that will take place under the hood. will that blower be able to endure it? It is also going to be very loud. People might come outside expecting someone to be working on their lawn :D
How long do you expect to run this blower during each drive? I don't know what the longevity of it will be.I don't know how your fuel air mixture will be affected by this at lower than wide open throttle speeds. I saw some vids on youtube.com with guys using leaf blowers to get higher Dino outputs.

You might be good if you go ahead and make a pressurized intake system (close off all holes). Double your intake scoops to increase air volume. Y them to the main intake and close of the breather hose. The faster you go the more pressure you should make in your air intake. Its the same way sport bikes intake setup works.
I don't know any aerodynamics figures so I would use a guestometer. I think if you double the volume of air coming into the the intake it would have to speed up in the smaller space (Bernoulli's principal)

I would be doing lots, but my truck is still under warranty, and I can't make it look different than stock. OR make it looked like my mods would affect stock operation.

Don't forget to baseline your truck to measure any improvements MAWRAZEN.

Being self proclames crazy takes the guesswork out of it for friends and family. Works for me...

C.

Finally got you guys(and maybe gals) on board! Ver 2.0 build Plan. Yes I'm Crazy! LOL

Here the plan! :rolleyes:

Air scoop experiment was a success. Plans for Version 2.0:

I will install a 10x6" Register duct under the Bumper. This will act as a more attractive and flush Cold Air scoop. Capturing COLD air from infront of the car. This will feed into just the blower assembly (Electric motor removed) of an electric Vacuum/ blower located behind the bumper and passenger side fender. The diameter of the Vacuum intake port has been carefully chosen to match the register duct/ Cold air intake located under the bumper on the front of the truck.

Next I will build a drive system off the serpentine belt to a pully or gear to where the motor once was on the blower. I will attempt to use a belt or chain from the main belt to a sub assemby to turn the impeller on the blower assemby. I hope to experiment with different size pulleys or gears off the main serpentine belt to power the blower.

If all works, the boost will increase as the trottle (engine speed) increases. This will provide less boost at idle and more at the higher rpms when it is needed.

The Blower outlet will lead directly into the exsisting air intake (Relocated from behind headlight) Or into a custom built larger intake into the Exsisting air filter box. Then through the filter and MAF. Next through the exsisting intake tube to the TPS.(Breather hose replaced with a hose running into a water pressure or air compressor gauge to measure any boost in air pressure between the MAF and TPS.

By having a mechanical direct drive from the serpentine belt for the impeller, the speed of the impeller will vary prortionally to engine speed.

The original specs are 200 MPH WITH THE ELECTRIC MOTOR, I'M HOPING THE 4.0 V6 CAN DO A BIT BETTER :eek:

Waaa laaaa! DIY Supercharger

Next I may need a larger throttle body, manifold, Cat (Wheres Fluffy?) and exhaust to handle the extra volume of air.

Thanks to all for your ideas, keep them coming! It least I'm not experimenting on YOUR truck. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm thinking a 4X8 would work just as good and help keep fluffy out..Look at your blower and see what the RPM is for 200 mph.. Your drive belt would have to be 6" on the engine and 1" on the Blower giving you a 6 to 1 or 6000 rpm per thousand rpm of the engine... so since you should not rev above 4500. in the xploder your max blower speed would be 24 thousand 500 rpm .. May be a bit much...Adjust down on the 6" to decrease the 24,500 rpm if needed..

Back