Efficient Air intake on the cheap first generation Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Efficient Air intake on the cheap first generation Explorer

stang99x

Reaction score
City, State
Cumming, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 4.6 limited 4x4
Efficient Home Made Air intake on the cheap first generation Explorer

Contrary to popular belief, the cold air intake these days is not actually a cold air intake. The factory design, although somewhat restrictive, provides the coolest charged air through the fenderwell. Some popular cold air kits, such as the mustang 5.0 kit, are available in fenderwell kits or lower valence ram air models. These are the only true cold air intakes. A quick look to a site such as Kenne Bells will have a tech article about hot air intakes, what you know as a cold air intake. It discerns between the 80 degree or so air intake from the fender, and the 150-200 degree air from the open element filter in the cold air intake system.

This article is intended to provide you with a cheap, good intake that doesn't break the bank. I made mine out of some leftover parts I had in the garage in about an hour. Total cost to me, $0. What it might cost you will vary based on where you get your parts, but you should be able to do it well under the $100 or so the kits for these trucks cost, and have a much better system in the process.

Things you'll need to gather:
1. An 89-93 mustang 5.0 MAF (mass air flow meter) Junkyard special
2. K&N (or alternate) style filter for stock box
3. 3" tubing. I used polished mandrel bent leftover from an intercooler project
You'll need a 45 degree bend, and a 90 degree elbow at a minimum. Then some straight pipe and a few 3 inch rubber (or silicone) couplings and 6 or so large hose clamps
4. A vacuum line fitting for the intake, to fit the stock hose

To begin, remove intake pipe and upper filter housing. Careful of the two vacuum lines on the top of the housing, they sometimes become brittle and break easily. Remove the MAF from the filter housing. Attach the Mustang MAF from the junkyard, it'll bolt right up. The sensor from the mustang will work with the explorer no problem, but if you want to keep yours they can be interchanged. See pic below
P5100154.jpg

P5100152.jpg

Now, I had to cut my piping to fit. A sawzall made it easy, but you have your choice of tools. Look at this big picture for the general Idea
P5100153.jpg

Make your cuts (measure twice, cut once) and use the afore mentioned couplers to put it all together. You'll have to have a reducer for exact fit to the TB, or just clamp it down really well, either way works (I clamped the crap out of mine and it works fine) Once you have it all fitted, make sure the hood closes properly, drop in the new filter, and let'er rip!

You know have almost twice the flow capability of the stock MAF using the mustang unit and you haven't spent a fortune to get it. I bought the intercooler piping on ebay some time ago, I think I spent like $100 on a huge kit that I built 7 intakes and my intercooler with. I built custom intakes for others and that paid for the price of the piping. The mustang 5.0 maf's are always on ebay, sometimes as low as $5 + shipping. Couplers and hose clamps from autozone.

Happy hunting!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the article. I set you up with 3 months Elite membership.

A quick look to a site such as Kenne Bells will have a tech article about hot air intakes, what you know as a cold air intake. It discerns between the 80 degree or so air intake from the fender, and the 150-200 degree air from the open element filter in the cold air intake system.

Can you post a link to some of those articles? Thanks.

What MAF is that, because the 89-93 mustang MAF's that i am seeing on Ebay look very different.

This is what i am seeing.
f8_1.jpg

Also many of the Ebay MAF's say they are calibrated for different lb injectors, what lb injector calibration do i need to look for?

I have been seeing the same thing as Christobal65. Most of the mustang maf's I have seen are small like the one he showed.

According to the guys profile, he hasn't been on here in the last 3 months.

im pretty sure no mustang maf will work, cause the pin connection that i have found for every mustang is a 4 pin connection, and the explorers are 6 pin

What about using a 2nd gen OHV MAF on a 91-94? I know the second gen's had bigger MAF's than the first gen. Any thoughts?

Edit: after looking around it appears that the 2nd gen Ex's also have a 6-pin connector. So it seems like it could be a possibility

There is no way a 3" tube will allow the hood to close on my truck.
But whatever works for ya. :)

xartic said:
im pretty sure no mustang maf will work, cause the pin connection that i have found for every mustang is a 4 pin connection, and the explorers are 6 pin

Actually, I just looked under my hood and my 1st gen is a 4 pin, where as a second gen is a 6 pin. So I guess I answered my own question from above about using a second gen maf. Won't work.

So do we have any Idea what MAF that is? I dont beleive in 'cold air' intakes so i would like to do this to keep the stock box.

I don't know what MAF housing he used, but you can (or you could a few years ago) buy a Granitelli MAF, with a re-calibrated sensor and a larger housing. The Pro-M MAF for our 1st gen Explorers, which some of you may have heard of, is merely re-badged Granitelli MAF. I do not know if any of these are still available. But I'm sure they're on e-bay. And if you don't trust the MAF sensor, you can still buy the larger housing, which on a 1st gen, then OEM housing is quite a restriction. Not so on 2nd gens, iirc.

Would it be possible to use 1st gen maf electronics in a larger housing? Or would that throw off the air readings?

Back