2000 AWD Xploder from Turbo back to NA | Page 77 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 AWD Xploder from Turbo back to NA

After getting an estimate on how much it would run me to fix up my Xploder with all new exhaust, cold side piping, and a bunch of other stuff done up the "right" way... I've decided to convert my Xploder back to NA form so that I can actually ENJOY the truck before I die of old age.

Anyways... To start it off I ordered up a MAC cold air intake (I do not have the stock intake) and sold my FMS headers on ebay.

I plan on buying a set of torque monster headers in the next week or so but am still up in the air on how I should run my exhaust from a performance "speed" perspective. I do not plan on doing much, if any, off road driving, so am looking for a setup that improves take off and speed for spirited pavement driving that sounds good.

I already have the spare tire removed (and will be keeping it off, I have free towing anyways lol)... What would an optimal setup be with the above in mind and no worry of a spare tire being in the way? True duals (straight pipe off of each header, thru separate mufflers, and out the sides), or a dual exhaust both going into a 2 in 2 out "H" pipe style muffler and then out the sides? Or something else? In all cases I won't be running any cats.

I also plan to re-tune my car since currently it is tuned for the turbo setup which obviously will no longer apply once I rip everything out.

Thank you for any input! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

This looks like the right gasket set? 4R70W TRANSMISSION VALVE BODY GASKET SET FITS '96-'00 FORD LINCOLN MERCURY

Also, I thought the shift solenoids is 2 units you need to snap into some housing but is it instead a single piece? Confusing lol.

20230212-112901.jpg

20230212-112910.jpg

That Zip kit is fairly good, thorough but also includes at least one pressure valve that shouldn't be used if a better(later design) kit is chosen. Sonnax developed that Zip kit many years ago, before another individual kit item they came out with a few years ago. You can look at and read about all of the various items they have for the 4R70W, on their site. I would prefer to buy the needed items separately, which ends up a little cheaper, given the internal parts you don't use(made for a rebuild(all of it is apart)), and that one pressure valve not needed.

For what you seem to be after at the moment, get it working right again, not necessarily perfect with all upgrades(A Jerry's Mod would be part of that), plus accumulators, I'd do just the solenoids and see what it achieves. The o-ring kit I mentioned is easy for anyone to put in with the VB out, while the various other VB kits can be more tedious or difficult. I'd want to do those at a slow pace and not in any rush.

The shift solenoids do have two paired into one unit, I forgot that. Those on the side of the VB are kind of low cost, and also easy with the VB out. The VB is a contained unit, no check balls will be lost, but there is a pair of small springs up inside the case near the front. If you drop the VB, do it slowly and watch where those two are. They are slightly different and you would only notice with them out and side by side, separating the parts to compare. The tiny end piece is different among those two, all together at a glance they look alike. Other than those little springs assemblies(they are fairly sturdy and lowering the VB smoothly will have them end up standing straight up or barely stuck up inside the case), the VB is a single assembly that is easily handled.

Note, don't mix any early model 4R parts with a later model, the solenoids and the internal wiring don't mix. That means before or after the 1997/98 model years, so you need a 1998 or newer solenoids etc. I think that plastic assembly with wires is called the metal frame or similar, the early ones needed to be replaced, the 98+ are fine to reuse.

That Zip kit is fairly good, thorough but also includes at least one pressure valve that shouldn't be used if a better(later design) kit is chosen. Sonnax developed that Zip kit many years ago, before another individual kit item they came out with a few years ago. You can look at and read about all of the various items they have for the 4R70W, on their site. I would prefer to buy the needed items separately, which ends up a little cheaper, given the internal parts you don't use(made for a rebuild(all of it is apart)), and that one pressure valve not needed.

For what you seem to be after at the moment, get it working right again, not necessarily perfect with all upgrades(A Jerry's Mod would be part of that), plus accumulators, I'd do just the solenoids and see what it achieves. The o-ring kit I mentioned is easy for anyone to put in with the VB out, while the various other VB kits can be more tedious or difficult. I'd want to do those at a slow pace and not in any rush.

The shift solenoids do have two paired into one unit, I forgot that. Those on the side of the VB are kind of low cost, and also easy with the VB out. The VB is a contained unit, no check balls will be lost, but there is a pair of small springs up inside the case near the front. If you drop the VB, do it slowly and watch where those two are. They are slightly different and you would only notice with them out and side by side, separating the parts to compare. The tiny end piece is different among those two, all together at a glance they look alike. Other than those little springs assemblies(they are fairly sturdy and lowering the VB smoothly will have them end up standing straight up or barely stuck up inside the case), the VB is a single assembly that is easily handled.

Note, don't mix any early model 4R parts with a later model, the solenoids and the internal wiring don't mix. That means before or after the 1997/98 model years, so you need a 1998 or newer solenoids etc. I think that plastic assembly with wires is called the metal frame or similar, the early ones needed to be replaced, the 98+ are fine to reuse.
Awesome, thank you for the info! Do you know which pressure valve shouldn't be used if a better later design is chosen? Looking at zip kit I see they include a main pressure regulator valve, a boost valve kit, 2-3 and 3-4 shift valves, overdrive servo reg valve kit, and bypass clutch control plunger valve kit. Which one of these had been improved since the zip kit? I ended up already grabbing the zip kit as it seemed pretty cheap (got it for $100) and it would give me something interesting to do/learn. Seems most places sell it for almost $200 so at $100 on Rockauto it seemed like a solid deal. If you know which valve I can grab an individual item of to swap in place that's fine and I'll grab it. Also, looking on the Sonax website I don't see just an o-ring kit of some sort.

The end plug kit 76948-49k has the o-rings I mentioned, it's about $29 on eBay. I notice that everything is higher too, the 4r70w-lb1 Sonnax Line Pressure Booster Kit 4r75w AODE for sale online | eBay kit is the new version for the Line Pressure Booster Kit I think would be a nice improvement over the regular pressure valve and spring,

4R70W-LB1

It's the most expensive VB item, $65 on eBay, but $75-100 other places. I spoke top Sonnax about that Zip kit and which items overlap with that above kit, they do answer the phone and are very helpful if you have any questions. I think it was both the pressure regulator valve and the spring next to it, which shouldn't be used with that 4R70W-LB1 kit.

Do you have the thin 4R70W manual to help with identifying almost all parts inside the trans? It use to be under $15, I have one for each of the automatics I have worked on. It has the best condensed information from the OEM shop manuals. It's called ATSG and eBay in a quick search is here; AODE ATSG Rebuild Manual 4R70W 4R75E 4R75W Transmission Overhaul Service Book | eBay
$32

The end plug kit 76948-49k has the o-rings I mentioned, it's about $29 on eBay. I notice that everything is higher too, the 4r70w-lb1 Sonnax Line Pressure Booster Kit 4r75w AODE for sale online | eBay kit is the new version for the Line Pressure Booster Kit I think would be a nice improvement over the regular pressure valve and spring,

4R70W-LB1

It's the most expensive VB item, $65 on eBay, but $75-100 other places. I spoke top Sonnax about that Zip kit and which items overlap with that above kit, they do answer the phone and are very helpful if you have any questions. I think it was both the pressure regulator valve and the spring next to it, which shouldn't be used with that 4R70W-LB1 kit.

Do you have the thin 4R70W manual to help with identifying almost all parts inside the trans? It use to be under $15, I have one for each of the automatics I have worked on. It has the best condensed information from the OEM shop manuals. It's called ATSG and eBay in a quick search is here; AODE ATSG Rebuild Manual 4R70W 4R75E 4R75W Transmission Overhaul Service Book | eBay
$32
Awesome, thanks a ton! That end plug kit with the o-rings mentions being 01+ transmissions, is that correct or that still works?

I found these:

I do have the full shop manuals (3 book set) of the car but not a specific transmission service book.

Thank you!

The end plug kit I linked was from Sonnax and should work on any 4R and even for some end plugs, the AOD. I think there was a different kit for the AOD, I have installed those a few times. I think I'd get the one that shows the matching part number, that WIT seller might be selling an off brand, I don't know.

The VB internal parts are sometimes tricky to remove, so begin only when you have plenty of extra time, and be patient. Have good tiny screw drivers and picks handy, the shift kit instructions I have worked with have suggested some various other tools or objects. It's tedious to get some of those valve out, they stick in place sometimes and getting a device in behind it with leverage to push or pry it out takes some thought.

The end plug kit I linked was from Sonnax and should work on any 4R and even for some end plugs, the AOD. I think there was a different kit for the AOD, I have installed those a few times. I think I'd get the one that shows the matching part number, that WIT seller might be selling an off brand, I don't know.

The VB internal parts are sometimes tricky to remove, so begin only when you have plenty of extra time, and be patient. Have good tiny screw drivers and picks handy, the shift kit instructions I have worked with have suggested some various other tools or objects. It's tedious to get some of those valve out, they stick in place sometimes and getting a device in behind it with leverage to push or pry it out takes some thought.
Maybe I'm blind but the only links I saw were for the line pressure booster kit and the manual, and then a mention (no link) of end plug kit 76948-49k. When I go on eBay and find that part number it says 01+ vehicles so wanted to double check before I grab it. If you have the link you know as good I'll happily take that! :D

Working on the valve body kind of sounds like working on firearms.. lots of little springs and tools, lol.

Those plug kits look to be the same one as on the Sonnax site, I thought there might be more than one for the various 4 speeds. But I didn't look for AOD, so the two you found on eBay look like a match to the 76948-49k on their site. This link above is for AODE parts they have. I think that reference to fits 01+ is wrong or not intended to mean it won't fit 1993-2000 models. AODE's began in about 1993 and ended with the 1995 Mustangs.

I'd get either of those eBay choices, I see on Sonnax that it does have five plugs, and 7 o-rings.

Those plug kits look to be the same one as on the Sonnax site, I thought there might be more than one for the various 4 speeds. But I didn't look for AOD, so the two you found on eBay look like a match to the 76948-49k on their site. This link above is for AODE parts they have. I think that reference to fits 01+ is wrong or not intended to mean it won't fit 1993-2000 models. AODE's began in about 1993 and ended with the 1995 Mustangs.

I'd get either of those eBay choices, I see on Sonnax that it does have five plugs, and 7 o-rings.
Thank you! :D I picked up the 49k kit and the valve you mentioned earlier. I guess this will give me a fun little side project to work on, lol.

Very good. Do those at your pace, and maybe look at the Jerry's Mod stuff, which is just a few holes and the two accumulator springs. I stopped there before my last 98 had the transmission issue(lost 3rd and 4th), I didn't finally decide on hole sizes. There are many places to find what people did with their Thunderbird's and Mark VII's(those 90's 4R70W), but the sizes should be similar. I would(was going to) choose holes on the smaller size of the suggested ranges.

Got some time and pulled and disassembled the valve body :D Didn't seem to bad... though I didn't fully disassemble, just the main pieces, none of the side little items that I'll be replacing with the replacement bits:

20230219-161600.jpg

20230219-154914.jpg

Found a couple of the gaskets pretty trashed...

This one had a bunch of cracking in the middle/left area and a chunk broken out pretty bad. My gasket kit gave me both large replacement gaskets:

IMG-3569.jpg

This gasket the edge was completely blown out:

20230219-162707.jpg

I do NOT have this replacement gasket so need to find a replacement for it :-/

All laid out, mostly:

20230219-161533.jpg

Now I need to track down the smaller gasket. Also, I attempted to get the plug kit and the 5 piece (full kit) I ordered on eBAY got canceled and then they told me "ooo sorry out of stock", lol.

Ok, found the smaller gasket.. Looks like part number 76322EA. Ordered it but probably won't get it until end of the week :-/

Very good work, and hopefully the gasket was blown out causing the fluid leak. Any leaks hurt pressure in various VB circuits, and it all affects shifting.

I don't recall the start of this issue, and the first posts, but did you also buy new accumulators? Those are a common wear item like many things, those it's the seals that get hard and begin to allow fluid leakage. They are easy to get and not much, but they can be hard to replace while on your back with ATF dripping etc. Having it apart and draining, that should be easier, I often have used a very big screw driver to push each one up(to remove the snap ring).

Be careful cleaning the VB, you want every piece of material out, but try not to drown the rubber seals with brake cleaner etc. I have usually only had minor VB dirtiness, so very little to clean really. Keep a bottle of ATF handy to pour on the VB any time it needs some lubrication.

Try to clean the VB fairly well before working on the internal bits, that way you lessen the cleaner used on those. Be sure everything is very clean, that's a #1 priority with any automatic trans.

The torque for all of the bolts is very low, around 80-110 in/lbs for the VB bolts, and not much more for the pan bolts. I have a 1/4" torque wrench that I have used many times, but I have done it by hand a few times since becoming used to it. I use my favorite short 3/8" ratchet to tighten tiny bolts like the VB, the pan, and valve covers etc. They need to be snug but not really very tight. 80-110 in/lbs is about 7-9 lb/ft, very small.

Yes, thank you! Gaskets were def having some issues, haha.

Initial issue was a "whirring" sound and a trouble code for the TCC solenoid. Drove it a little and then it puked some transmission fluid and got hot.

Ordered thus far:

* Valve body cover gasket (76322EA)
* Valve body gasket set (76320EAK)
* Dual shift solenoid (76421A)
* Line pressure booster kit (S76741PK-1)
* Zip kit (AODE-4R75E-ZIP)
* EPC solenoid (520514)
* TCC solenoid (F8AZ-7G136-AA)
* Oil tube O-ring (391308S) - Not super sure where this goes or how to install it?? lol

I did not buy the accumulator(s)... Do you know part numbers and are they essential to be replaced? I see the 2-3 accumulator, 4R70W 4R70E 4R75W 4R75E AOD AODE TRANSMISSION 2-3 ACCUMULATOR PISTON & SLEEVE KIT BY SONNAX FITS '80-'14, are there others?

Thank you for the info and help!

I see that many parts are scarce now, no surprise I guess. The 1-2 accumulator I didn't find with a ten minute search, except from BCA as an option for their accumulator spring kit($22+). Here's the link for that, the accumulators are not expensive when you do find them, $10-$17 each, plus some had a 2-3 cover part.

I would skip that Sonnax "sleeve also" kit unless you take out your accumulators and decide they are a bit loose in the bores. That kit must be fairly new, I had never seen it. It reads like the sleeves would go into the bores easily without tools etc, and then those special accumulators and springs would work as the originals were designed to. That isn't a bad price for all of those, the BCA kit with the same parts except the sleeves should be $52 + tax/shipping. Look around if you want just the accumulators without the springs, those of the BCA look like the ones I bought for doing the Jerry's Mod.

I see that many parts are scarce now, no surprise I guess. The 1-2 accumulator I didn't find with a ten minute search, except from BCA as an option for their accumulator spring kit($22+). Here's the link for that, the accumulators are not expensive when you do find them, $10-$17 each, plus some had a 2-3 cover part.

I would skip that Sonnax "sleeve also" kit unless you take out your accumulators and decide they are a bit loose in the bores. That kit must be fairly new, I had never seen it. It reads like the sleeves would go into the bores easily without tools etc, and then those special accumulators and springs would work as the originals were designed to. That isn't a bad price for all of those, the BCA kit with the same parts except the sleeves should be $52 + tax/shipping. Look around if you want just the accumulators without the springs, those of the BCA look like the ones I bought for doing the Jerry's Mod.
It seems the link to the springs doesn't have a button to "buy" the item.. maybe out of stock or something.

I did notice this: BCA Custom Performance Valve Body Kit for 1992-2014 4R70W, 4R70E, 4R75W AND 4R75E transmisisons

Looks like full valve body with jerry mod already dont to it and a number of options.. only $200?? Is the site legit? Lol.

I would call them, there is a phone listed, and the name Darrin I saw reminds me of a builder of the 4R70W's on another forum. There were two I had read much from that were good at building them. That may or not be the same person, but the detailed options make it sound like it is that type of person, builder. That VB for $200 would be a decent price if the core VB was not high mileage, but that is likely the worry with buying any actual VB, the age of these is no longer young.

I would call them, there is a phone listed, and the name Darrin I saw reminds me of a builder of the 4R70W's on another forum. There were two I had read much from that were good at building them. That may or not be the same person, but the detailed options make it sound like it is that type of person, builder. That VB for $200 would be a decent price if the core VB was not high mileage, but that is likely the worry with buying any actual VB, the age of these is no longer young.
I'll contact him and see. Looking around more I did find some videos of people running his stuff and they do mention this storefront so I'd think it is indeed legit, but I will double check.

He even offers a $1050 BCA built 4r70w transmission (with a bunch of options of which I wouldn't know what to pick, BCA BUILT 4R70W TRANSMISSION).. maybe something to consider if the VB fix/swap does not work out, lol. Seems pretty cheap. I'm sure shipping would add a lot to it, lol.

I was just browsing the site, and there is quite a bit there I'm interested in for my 6$80 project. But the prices for the trans builds have a core charge, $1250 for the six speed. I didn't click on my 4R70W parts, but there is a hardened shaft I might want, and they want $10 to install it(I could send my Sonnax forward drum(it can be tricky to R&R the shaft from the drum correctly)). They have some interesting things, mostly for higher power applications though. I noticed they have a lot of things not stocked right now, including the 1-2 accumulator.

Back