2000 Eddie Bauer 5.0 bypass hose PROBLEM. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Eddie Bauer 5.0 bypass hose PROBLEM.

bilbo99

Reaction score
City, State
Redding, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 EB
Hey folks!
1st time in a section of the site other than Audio & Navigation and its been years since I have posted there.

A few weeks ago we had some serious high winds. Sustained winds of 45mph with no rain or other weather event. From my brothers house to mine its 8 miles due north. I had to drive straight into this brutal wind. My Exploder had to work extra hard to maintain the 60 mph speed limit where everyone does 80. A mile from home the bypass hose from the water pump to the thermostat housing broke and coolant went everywhere. She got hot but I was able to limp her home. Because of medical issues I just got the chance to look at it today.

Here is where I am confused. Can you buy the bypass hose and the metal sleeve pieces that go into the housing and water pump? With close to 180,000 miles in an area that often is 110* everyday for weeks the connecting pieces (no clue what they are called) are severely deteriorated. Please dont tell me I have to buy a new thermostat housing and water pump because of these flange, sleeve pieces. I hope this makes sense. Because I dont know what they are called I couldn't find anything on Google or this site. HELP!

THANKS!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you try cleaning them? I used a little CLR and a small metal brush to scrap and a flat head to scrape left over rust and dried coolant from the post. I don't think you can buy those as their integrated into whatever they mount to, but could be wrong.

I just did all my hoses. The bypass hose was a nightmare, I could barely get the first one on and it developed a tear twisting it. Picked up two more and lubed with motor oil, 1 went on fine, other would still barely budge testing out even with oil so obviously not every one will be the perfect size. Same exact hose and part number, so be prepared and don't be surprised if the hose fights you lol. I grabbed an extra one for when I'm done flushing and go to out the new t-stat in in case one tears again, but seems ok now.

That many miles pry time to replace the hoses if original, I just did mine with 150k. Let me know if you need part numbers. The hose to the side under the bypass hose from the cooler to water pump, I used a 5.0 Stang hose and trimmed and it fit perfect. Had a he'll of time tracking some hoses down. Rockauto is the only one that has the correct molded heater core hoses and think they had a limited supply left, all 5.0 owners should grab them before their gone lol.

Did I try cleaning what? Cant clean something that isnt there. The posts are gone. They rusted out. Only a pitted shell of one is left and its far from useable.

The top and bottom hose are pretty new as I had the radiator replaced when a 16 year old girl panicked while nudging out of a parking lot to cross a busy road. She got a bit to far out into the road, freaked on and hit reverse and slammed into me while destroyed tall the front bueaty pieces and poked a hole in the radiator.

I am disgusted at the idea of having to buy a new water pump, which works just fine, and thermostat housing just because of these cheap thin pieces of metal.

Did you try cleaning them? I used a little CLR and a small metal brush to scrap and a flat head to scrape left over rust and dried coolant from the post. I don't think you can buy those as their integrated into whatever they mount to, but could be wrong.

I just did all my hoses. The bypass hose was a nightmare, I could barely get the first one on and it developed a tear twisting it. Picked up two more and lubed with motor oil, 1 went on fine, other would still barely budge testing out even with oil so obviously not every one will be the perfect size. Same exact hose and part number, so be prepared and don't be surprised if the hose fights you lol. I grabbed an extra one for when I'm done flushing and go to out the new t-stat in in case one tears again, but seems ok now.

That many miles pry time to replace the hoses if original, I just did mine with 150k. Let me know if you need part numbers. The hose to the side under the bypass hose from the cooler to water pump, I used a 5.0 Stang hose and trimmed and it fit perfect. Had a he'll of time tracking some hoses down. Rockauto is the only one that has the correct molded heater core hoses and think they had a limited supply left, all 5.0 owners should grab them before their gone lol.

Ahhh I misread, don't think I've ever heard of those breaking off on any vehicle, sure it's possible (obviously) but that would take some serious rust and corrosion and I'd be more worried about internally if that's what happened to the posts.

If you replaced the top and bottom radiator hose, what about all the others? I just did all new heater core hoses, and if you look to the left of the bypass hose you'll see another hose that goes from the pipe to water pump also. For that hose I had to use one from a 5.0 Mustang bought at Napa and trimmed about an inch and half or so and it fit perfect. If that happened there, might as well pull off other hoses and check to see what they look like, b/c what if you fix this, then another hose etc starts leaking.

Maybe someone will chime in, but don't see how those could be replaced unless maybe newly welded in but then I'd be worried about strength. Unfortunately might have to buy a new piece (or pieces) depending on how many orifice post were lost or on their way out.

Can someone chime in about the metal flanges the come off the water pump and thermostat housing? Can you buy these seperately or must u buy a new pump and housing?

My Exploder was involved in a accident where a 17 year old girl had slowly nudged out onto a busy street from a parking lot. The street has a blind curve in it to the left. She had rolled to far out and she panicked and threw it into reverse and her Honda Civic rear smashed my girls, munched a head lamp and pushed the radiator back a an inches which caused a pin sized hole in the radiator. The auto body shop begrudgingly replaced it. I bought a new top and bottom hose and got them to put them in. They wouldn't charge anything else.

There is a fair amount of rust in her. My ex had it for a year and she did little maintenance on the Exploder. The pin hole leak required the addition of fluids. Rather than adding 50/50 coolant, she added water straight out of the hose. This would be well water that is high in minerals. This water caused all kinds of damage to sinks, toilets, etc. It obviously caused damaged to the cooling system. We plan to fix the tiny hole and do a complete flush. I am disabled so I drive less than 5,000 miles a year. I'm not worried about the rust. I a worried about having to buy a water pump and thermostat housing just so I can replace the bypass hose. Thanks.

Check the red arrows in the picture...

If you are referring to the 2 hose barbs on the water pump and the thermostat housing then no there are not replaceable...You will need to replace the water pump and the thermostat housing to replace those... There are actually 2 hose fittings on the water pump; I just didn't notate the second one just below the belt on the water pump...If those rusted out in your Explorer there is some serious rusting going on there...

Attachments

• mod100_0209.jpg
    mod100_0209.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 297

Yeah if those rusted off, I'd be more worried about rust/corrosion internally. You should pull off other hoses like the heater core etc and check all posts/barbs.

If you replace the t-stat housing, if there was that much rust, I'd be seriously careful about removing the bolts. They can seize b/c of the aluminum housing. Mine had no rust and years ago even after PB I snapped a bolt in the housing and it took a shop hours of heat and slowly drilling to fix and not really damage the threads.

Thanks for the answers and suggestions. All are duly noted. Very hard for me to comprehend how so much rust could build up within less than a year. I did a coolant flush, trasmission fluid change, oil change and new battery before she used it. The coolant was perfect then and she has only put 8,300 miles on it. I suspect that coolant was leaking from this bypass hose after I let he use it and she just kept filling it up with well water. This water has destroyed every appliance in our house because its so filled with nitrates and VOCS like benzene, carbon tetrachloride, toluene, trichloroethelene, and methyl tertiary butyl ether. Scary stuff. We were going to put a filtration system in but we spli up before that happened. Knowing the issues with the well and septic tank, I gave her the house in the divorce. I didn't want to mess with all that crap, no pun intended. Thanks again.

Back