• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer & 98 Ex Sport

Sign of Cobra

Reaction score
City, State
Nowata, Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
I need the experts. I just came across a 2000 ex 5.0 and was wondering if I'm going to have a major problem putting the 2000 engine in the Sport? I can get the 2000 as a donor for 400.00 with low mileage motor. I'm aware of everything if I was using a 98 donor truck, but concerned since its a 2000. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Didn't explain myself, sorry.

I meant to say that the doner is a 2000, but its going into my 98 sport. I can't seem to find another 98 doner truck.

read your article on the swap

Great article. Thank you. I am still confused as to which fuel pump to use with my 5.0 going into my 98 Sport. My Sport came with a 4.0 OHV engine. Thanks a million.

I meant to say that the doner is a 2000, but its going into my 98 sport. I can't seem to find another 98 doner truck.

ah. your more then likely going to have to do some repinning on the connectors. that and the only way you might get around the return fuel system is by pulling the pump out of the donor truck and making your own fuel line from the rail to the tank.

Thanks for the information.

It worries me when you stated that "the only way to get around the return line problem is to pull the pump from the doner and run a new fuel line from the rail to the tank". Do you think I'll have any luck doing this? I thought that the return line stopped after 97?

return system stopped in 99, so your 98 will have a return line. when i say pull the pump out of the donor truck its because the fuel system in the 00 is returnless, and everything is set up for that system. now because the system is a return and you have a sport, the 4 door line wont fit because its to long. you can try and cut and splice it, but i dont know if that would work good or not (never tried it). you would have to take the line from the fuel filter forward (up to and including the fuel rail) on the donor truck and reuse it. then from the filter back to the pump make a new line using the 2000 pump because the sending unit will only have one line coming out of it, and will have the regulator built into it. i would also have to think, but cant say for sure the pump would be different just because the pump is a non return pump.

You can use the feed line on the 98 and just ignore the return line , just swap the pump , I had mine set up like this for a few days

Thats what I needed.

Really appreciate the help. I'm going for it.

Back