• Register Today It's free!

98 5.0 engine & auto trans

Sign of Cobra

Reaction score
City, State
Nowata, Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
Hey guys, I have heard that the 98 5.0 was a very good choice because they had the better heads and intake. Can someone verify whether or not this is true. Since I have a 98 sport I'm trying to find a 98 donor with the 5.0 and auto. Will the auto trans behind the 5.0 donor fit into my sport? If not, what should I use? I am on a limited budget for this so my last question is: Using cast iron headers with nice dual exhaust help? Thank you so much for the help concerning my questions You guys ROCK.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Best of my knowledge, the 5.0 Expo's 4R70W transmission will certainly fit in the tunnel -- it certainly does in my 02 Ranger.

There's a fair chance you'll need a custom driveshaft, perhaps shortening the Expo one would be the least expensive option.

The OEM cast iron manifolds are about the only option outside of the ever elusive Torque Monster headers but OBX now has 5.9 Epxo headers in their catalog. Hardest thing with duel exhaust is finding a place for both mufflers.

no longer confused.

Thanks a million guys. That answered my questions. Love this forum.

Thanks for an excellent write-up. Your Sport is a dream. Someday, mine will be close.

Back