2000 Explorer blows #26 fuse HELP!!!! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer blows #26 fuse HELP!!!!

On 2000 explorer:
Relay module Above right of gas pedal or lower left of AC/Heater/radio. It is a
ugly place (Behind the center console).
Fuse #26 to Pins #1 and #5 on Battery Saver Relay Hot at all Times per the
Circuit diagrams. Different than the 96.
Thanks
R146rick

I think you are missing the point. The battery saver relay (any relay for that matter) has "coil power" and in this case "switched contact power". Yes, there is power going to the battery saver contacts (1 and 5)... and its "hot at all times" cause that relay provides power to "things" when the ignition is turned off. The issues is that there is a ground on pin 2 which is going to the GEM... the GEM is suppose to operate the relay based on "input" from "key on", "key off", and "timing". The ground should be gone "at some point" and the relay dropped.... and then the voltage which is being switch from pin 5 to pin 3 will no longer be there... and your fuse won't see any voltage on that "leg" and won't blow. BUT that's not the "real" problem (voltage on pin 3 thru the relay... that's its job to switch voltage).... the problem is the ground is coming from somewhere (in and around the GEM) and its my guess that somewhere around the GEM, there is "lots of grounds" that shouldn't be there which is causing the ultimate issue of "burning fuses".

ahhh... I see now that perhaps some of the answers are "mixed" between two different people's issues... :) but I see now that your 2000 fuse 26 is my 96 fuse 7... :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Budwich pat on the back!!! I pulled my relay panel down and found the brn/yw wires for the battery saver relay melted together. pulled them apart and hooked up shift control module w fuses installed and WOO HOO fuses didn't blow. On a bad note now the 4x4 lights flash 6 times and then do not do anything with or without switch.

well you got by the fuse burn..... but I suspect that your shift relay / control module might have an issue with it or "deeper"... :) and thus the flashing 4wd lights... :-(
You probably need to check things cause "melts" aren't usually good. The 4wd selector switch is basically a resistance bridge which changes with the selection so you should check that to see if any of those burnt (just in case) but I lay money on the "not so good looking" control module.

ahhh... I just re-read your post.... you said you found WIRES melted together but it appears in the post that you only indicted one (Br/Y) ... if I understand that correctly as maybe being T/Y (on my 96).... question is what was the other wire... or was it just melted to a ground???

true, so far all else is looking good, repaired wires (pain in the A@#% to get to) and installed good shift module. 4x4 still inop with lights flashing. Gonna thnk hard about the GEM as the brwn/yel wire that was burned is a power sorce to the GEM. Which also has to do with 4x4 and dont forget my mystery windows that work w/o switch :) We will see gonna see if I can find a good used gem tomorrow and cross my fingers. Thanks for all of the help you have given so far!!!!!

I think we might be "bouncing" on the net highway here and somewhat out of sync... sorry. Please indicate which two wires were melted or correct me. Further, are you saying now that your windows still work without a key??? IF so, don't go far from where you are already.

the two brwn/yw wires for the battery saver relay were melted together, they also touched a grn/orn wire for another relay. I repaired and tired everything one last time for the 4x4 etc. and of course #26 blew again ERRRRRRRR. Yes the windows all operate as does the blower w/o the key in or on. Hoping that the GEM is causing that, and the 4x4 issue and possibly blowing #26 fuse (fingers crossed) my dad said he will go look for a matching GEM tomorrow at the "recyle" yards LOL. Wanna gamble or bet if it could fix everything and was back feeding to melt wires??? I don't but SOOOOO fed up with these wires :). Again THANK YOU for all of the help!!!

okkkk... not sure why there are two T/Y (which lugs do they go to???).... BUT the bad part is the LG/O is a power line for the accessory delay relay.... of course, grounds and power don't mix too well. You need to get a meter and check things at the relay module a bit better. Pull the battery saver, check for voltage at pin 1 (on the relay module location for the BS relay) and ground at pin 2 location. Voltage should be there assuming a "stable fuse" and ground will likely be there because the GEM is trying to turn on your courtesy lights thru the BS relay (plus a few other things) assuming your doors are open.

aside.... do your courtesy lights work???? if not, when did they stop working?

Don't have the manual in front of me, its at the shop but remember that it show the T/Y wire coming from fuse 26 into the battery saver relay the tagged tagged off the same lug on the relay onto another lug for the same relay (not sure which till I look at manual again) anyway those two were melted together and had touched that other wire. Talked to my old lead tech from Ford last night he had only seen a handful of gems bad in over 15 years but said that a stuck relay could have possibly melted wires and backfed to gem and led to the shift control module smoking. Power goes from the BS relay to gem then to shift control module from what I can tell on the wiring diagram.

Dome lights quit the same time all this mess started. When I can have it all sitting with a good fuse the dome lights work. Again thank you for all the help everybody. If anyone has any other inputs feel free :)

OK... well the wiring could be a bit different (color wise).... but on my 96 wiring (which probably is similar).... the T/Y go to the GEM and are on pin 2 of the battery saver. I agree with your friend on the gem failures. Basically, your problem is staring you in the eyes.... and you just have to walk slowly towards it. Since I don't have the 2000 diagram, its tough but I know the circuits are very similar. Anyways, because you have windows working when you don't have your keys in, this is where you need to focus right now... the rest of the stuff will "wash away" or show up along the way. As I mentioned... pin1 and 2 are the coil windings inputs for the relay.... 1 is the power and 2 is the ground "activator" (switched in by GEM). The battery from 1 also appears at pin 5 which is part of the switched contact array. When the BS relay is operated, pin 5 is connected to 3. When it is not activated, pin 4 (which has no wire on it) is connected to pin 3 (pin 3 is the output of the relay). The reason... most likely that you fuse at 26 is blowing is cause when the BS relay is operate, the power is fed further thru to pin 3 and on ward.... BUT... just as you recently found out... some of your problems were on the "backside" of the relay module. Knowing this, you need to take some time and "walk slowly" to ensure the "conditions" for the BS relay are TOTALLY correct (as stated), then you can move on. Having said that, if you take your meter and measure the resistance at the relay module (BS relay removed) of pin 3 to ground... I am sure you find that it is grounded, shorted, or very low which is the reason for the "blowy".... but again, go slow and make sure things on the back side of the module are OK. Next from there you are going to be "tackling" accessory delay.... AND a new "beast"... the interior lamp relay...:) Having said that, remember the previous measurement "request".... do the exact same measurement (resistance on relay module pin 3 for the BS relay) but with the accessory delay relay removed and the interior lamp relay removed....:))))) ... "hmmm" he says????? :) Have good day at your day job.

PS. one last thing... with the "rewiring" that you did on the back of the relay module.... IF you removed your GEM, your windows should stop working and your fuse should be happy... maybe?????

alright... I got my hands on some 2000 wiring.... the basically circuit is the same... just the "names" (wire colors) have changed to protect the innocent... :)

Now I see the T/Y pair ... and it was "melted" together ... no big deal directly (not good) but circuit wise they are connected together anyway. They were "touching" the LG/O... again no big deal... just means you were bypassing the BS relay operation. "no big deal" means that from a circuit operation, those "issues" won't cause a problem directly.

Surfing the web here at work I found a article with people talking about 98-01 explorers having leaky windshields causing GEM and Fuse panel troubles, SSM#15773. Complaints were of items working without the key being on, and some of fuses blowing, hmmmmm. Question, doesn't the GEM control grounds?? If so if it shorts, stuff may work without the key but it shouldn't blow fuses should it??? I may be wrong as it is known to happen LOL

I am not saying that the GEM isn't a problem... but unless you check things out closely, just changing out the GEM won't necessarily resolve your problem. As you noted, you had wires melted. Changing out the GEM would not have fixed those. Anyways, leaks might be your cause but you need to go thru and locate the "damage". Thus, you need to work thru the affected circuits and determine if there is an underlying issue with wiring or components. But I don't have lots of spare money, lots of time though so troubleshooting and testing is my usual approach versus throwing money / parts at things.

As for the GEM, a lot of things its does, deal with grounds... in general that shouldn't be an issue unto itself unless those grounds find themselves onto component / wire where they aren't supposed to be. For instance, keeping you windows working when you have no key.... that sounds like a ground issue coming from the GEM BUT it could just as easily be another melted wire.

Thanks budwich
This is R146rick
Have not worked on mine today,will not be able to till saturday.
Checking the post before bed . I was missing the point :) thanks,I see what you're saying about coil power and the ground. GEM controls the relays thru grounding them, Thanks for teaching this old dog.
First place to check is for a ground off of pin 2 with gem disconnected and work from there.
Sorry for the confusion ,Yes Two different vehicles they transfered mine here because Of #26 fuse blowing in common. Learning alot from malawiman, 2000streetrod ,budwich posts ,thanks
I hope I find something on Saturday,Good Luck malawiman.
r146rick

Reinstalled everything last night and when shift control module plugs in fuse pops everytime now. All wires on the relay panel look ok. Have to test more for grounding problems but still looks like GEM to me everytime I look at the diagram since all things with problems are controlled by it. One new piece of info, left shift module out last night and drove, 4x4 worked as did dome lights. Then today at lunch battery was dead, hmmmmmmm I hadn't been driving but got snow and didn't want to drive my car. We will see going to go back at it tonight even though I wanted a day or two off :(

don't go past the "lights work with the key out".... remove the GEM and see if they still work.

"lights work with key out" ????? Windows work with key out as does blower motor hmmmmm didn't work on it last night had to blow snow.

oops... yep windows work with key out.... brain freeze... :)

I was going to try that but if I'm correct the GEM runs the ground to the window controls, i.e. I am hoping it is sending ground when it should not causing them to all work. Not sure yet, but my gut feeling has been that for quite awhile

The GEM doesn't actually send grounds to the window controls... its sends a ground to a couple of relays that ultimately send voltage to your window controls to get the windows to run when your key is not there BUT that should not happen IF your door is open. Hence, IF you pull the GEM and your windows stop working sans key... then perhaps the GEM is an issue.... HOWEVER, if your windows continue to work, you likely have a STRAY ground somewhere unrelated to GEM... which might be another shorted wire some where.... hence the test.

Gotcha, I'll unplug GEM and open door, if windows don't work I'm gonna gamble with a GEM if they still work I'm gonna put a match on the seat and walk away!! LOL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks everyone,
R146rick 2000 Explorer.
Able to use Brother in laws garage today. Found the #3 Pin Grounded on battery saver relay (Thanks budwich). Left meter hooked up to # 3 and started disconnecting everything that I could find going to it. Ended up the Driver's side Sun Visor was shorting out. Cut off the plug to it reinstalled visor. No ground to #3.
Reinstalled all relays,GEM, Etc. New #26 Fuse and connected battery.
#26 Did not blow. :).
Everything working, windows, dome lights, 4WD Hi & Low.
Keep at it malawiman, don't light any matches,
Thanks again.
R146rick

Back