• Register Today It's free!

fuse 26 shortage

chrisis

Reaction score
City, State
Murray, kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer xls
as the title said fuse 26 burn in a 99 ford explorer. i try to change it twice and it burn the new fuse each time.

fuse 26 is a 10A and is for <<Battery Saver Relay, Electronic
Shift Relay, Interior Lamp Relay,Electronic Shift Control Module>>

it doesn't have any interior lights and none of window are working, but i can still lock and unlock the car from the switch in the door.

any ideas where to look?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In my 1992 Explorer....im trying to remember the fuse number but cant, but the dome light was falling out of the ceiling slowly, and every time it would bump or i poked it or would try to move it it'd blow the fuse for interior lights, stereo, and like the door chime or something...

couple methods for finding the problem. "expensive" method: unplug all things going to the fuse. Put in new fuse and hope it doesn't blow. Start plugging in things one at a time until the fuse blows. Of course, the last item plugged in is the most likely "candidate" or the wiring going there. The "cheaper" method is to get a meter, unplug everything, measure the resistance at the fuse box (fuse removed) and hopefully it is non-zero (ie. no longer a short). Measure resistance at each unplugged unit in "question" checking for any "shorts" in those units. Plug each one in one at a time and keep measuring resistance at the fuse box. IF / when the resistance drops to zero (ie. short), the unit that was plugged in last is a likely candidate and / or its wiring. Having said all that, my guess would be a relay is your problem... take your pick.... :) Of course, it can be tested as suggested.

can it be the GEM module?

odds are pretty low

i just checked the driver's door switches/wires and fuses behind the dash and all seem fine.

i'm thinking to change the GEM module, but is it possible to have a shortage due to GEM? is pretty expensive too.

Not sure that I understand your "logic". You listed off the items that fuse 26 "works" with and the GEM isn't there... so why are you looking at it???? Did you check any of the relays?

i check #26 in the fuse box and it has power, but everytime i put a fuse it burn it. i checked all other fuses and the relays and everything looks fine. if i have power in the fuse box then GEM it should be ok.right???

i just don't know where else to check.

what were your meter readings on your checks that I suggested???? "looking" isn't "checking".... a woman may "look" fine but when you get right down to it, she might not be any good... :) Anyways, the other "expensive" method of testing is taking it in to the dealer... :-( Your problem is probably pretty straight forward but without a good diagram of all the things involved in the circuit for that fuse, its more difficult to "guess" at things. It appears too much has changed between my 96 drawings and your 2000... hopefully someone else will provide you with more insight.

Back