2000 Explorer blows #26 fuse HELP!!!! | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer blows #26 fuse HELP!!!!

Per diagram Tan/yellow wire Feed from Fuse # 26 10A (Hot at all Times),#1 & # 5 pin on the Battery Saver Relay. Is Fuse #26 still blown? If so #1 & #5 Pins should not be hot on the BS Relay. Check for short here( a starting point).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fuse only blows when I plug in Electronic Shift Coltrol Module, have tried several different ones and does it everytime (remember my original one was burnt on pis 6 & 10) Does the same thing with harness on t-case unplugged. One thing that did puzzle me is yellow wire on Shift control module plug is hot at all times. When I check it it is unplugged at the t-case and unplugged up top, my thoughts are if neither end is plugged in how is it getting power???

Electric Shift Control Module (10 PinS) Yellow wire to Slot #7 for Pin #7 Is Hot with
the shift control module unplugged?
If #7 slot is Hot with the Electric Shift Control Module unplugged and the electric shift motor unplugged,then you do have a Shorted wire, More burn wires somewhere. Pull some fuses to isolate the source.
Also look at C212 above the Parking Brake Pedal for burn wires.

I think that you might still not quite understanding.... as you have found with your GEM "swap", it didn't help / change anything. Don't worrying about the GEM at this time. Your problem is "simple"... at least at this "stage". As you have found and rightly so, there is voltage going into the battery saver relay and leaving out the LG/O... why because the relay is operated.... fine... pull it out. As you found there is still voltage on the LG/O IRC.... that is your problem unless the schematics are wrong "everywhere". Once the battery saver relay is sitting in your little hands... there can be no voltage on the LG/O wire on the back of the relay module. Yes I know it is ugly check around there, but that wire is the "key" to your problem at this "stage" .

Budwich I know your prob right its ugly but I agree it is staring me in the eyes down there somewhere and it is not a good place to work lol. Yes the grn/orange wire is hot with relay pulled which is why I was thinking it is shorted elsewhere in circuit 705 (grn/org) and backfeeding through. Thank you guys for all the ideas and support in this nightmare!!!

my guess is that you got a "burn thru" in the relay module.... one other thing to check if you are "in your dash" , it to also unplug the dimmer module and the batterysaver relay at the same time and see if the voltage goes away (lg /o)... as the dimmer could be "feeding back" voltage .... maybe

burn through?? you mean the plastic itself?? Dimmer module, is that the same as the switch assembly?

"burn thru"-----> plastic between two connections has melted enough to allow contact between the lugs.

going from the autozone schematics which refer to the "dimmer module"... it has an "ON", "OFF, and "NORMAL" switch setting... does that help??? Further, ultimately you need to get at your GEM and check out the "hot in run" pin.

Dimmer module C219 is next to Head light switch.
It is the one with the turn wheel for the dome lights.

Will check that out. Was out of town for a few days. Definetly has a wire issue as the other day everything worked even with #26 fuse out, then it all quit again.

blown fuse also-not sure if its same issue

Hey all,
I have a similar situation on my 97 XLT. I keep blowing I think #26 that supplies backup lights, over drive and 4x4 shift, that I can tell. Everything else seems to work properly, replaced shift motor last week, it was burned out I know, because I bought it with it stuck in 4wd low. Replaced motor, came out of 4wd low. but now I keep blowing that fuse, not sure what happened. Been reading the saga here and sounds somewhat similar though I have not had issues with the windows or anything else. All of that works just fine.
Like say from this point what I know is that 4wd doesn't work, O/D off, and the backup lamps don't work.
I'll keep checking into my issue, maybe there is some common ground here. Best wishes.

SOLVED!!!! Found wire for fuse #26 touching wire for fuse #2 "somewhere under the dash" ran a new wire from fuse panel to relay module under dash. Solved blower motor and window problem. Fuse was blowing b/c yellow wire in shift control module harness was hot at all times even when unplugged. Ran a new wire for it and no more blowing fuses and everything works good!!!! Air bag light and check engine light are next. THANKS FOR ALL OF THE HELP!!!!

Great malawiman, I been checking off & on to see if you solved it.
Thanks for leading me to this thread. Big thanks to the guy helping us solve our problem.
jbd172002 97 explorer wiring little diffrent than 2000, but these guys (budwich,2000StreetRod) were able to leads us in the right direction.
THANKS
R146rick

Back