2000 Explorer Limited 4WD V6 AC Blows lukewarm air after 5 min | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer Limited 4WD V6 AC Blows lukewarm air after 5 min

audiophile1

Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited SOCH V6 4wd
Replaced compressor and recharged the system. Checked blend door from vent to floor to defrost. Vents change location fine. However Those blow only HOT air when temp is set at 60 or 85. When I go to max AC it eventually gets lukewarm when I set to 60. Seems like the heat is fighting the AC.

Is this a blend door actuator issue?
How do I know which blend door to buy?

Thx.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Replaced compressor and recharged the system. Checked blend door from vent to floor to defrost. Vents change location fine. However Those blow only HOT air when temp is set at 60 or 85. When I go to max AC it eventually gets lukewarm when I set to 60. Seems like the heat is fighting the AC.

Is this a blend door actuator issue?
How do I know which blend door to buy?

Thx.
What the system pressures? (High side and low side)
What the ambient temperature?

Is your heater control valve functioning properly? It cuts coolant flow to the heater core while the AC is on

It’s under the hood, in one of the hoses that goes to your heater core. Black plastic valve with a vacuum controlled actuator. Check it for proper function

Checked hea
It’s under the hood, in one of the hoses that goes to your heater core. Black plastic valve with a vacuum controlled actuator. Check it for proper function
Checked heater valve. Working properly. Looking at vacuum now. Might be an issue there.

Checked hea

Checked heater valve. Working properly. Looking at vacuum now. Might be an issue there.
Got this narrowed a bit. Compressor is working, changed heater control valve and condenser coil that had a clog. When I set it on MAX AC, air gets cold. However when I shut Max AC button off and in vent mode, air stays hot regardless of temp setting. Does this leave with with a blend door issue? Anyy suggestions?
I appreciate all the feedback.

still sounds like your heater control valve is not closing and allowing coolant to flow...which is why you have hot air on vent mode

still sounds like your heater control valve is not closing and allowing coolant to flow...which is why you have hot air on vent mode
I just put a brand new motorcraft one in. Would that show up in a code possibly?

I just put a brand new motorcraft one in. Would that show up in a code possibly?
Is it possible the blend door wasnt set to the right temp when installed? Meaning travel of the door is limited out on the wrong side and wont swing the other way?

but is it working? no on code...might pull it out and test it...disconnect lines from heater and see if you can blow through it with heater control off

Make sure it’s actuating when you change the temp setting. You’ll be able to see the arm move

Thnaks for the feedback. Thats next on the list to pull it and check the arm movement. The youtube vids out there are pretty helpful.

Nothing to pull. I’m talking about the heater control valve in the engine compartment. It’s controlled by a vacuum actuator. You’ll be able to see plain as day if it’s working

Heater control valve is working.

Heater control valve is working.
This is interesting. Pulled the glove box. What you see is a blend door actuator gear only zipped tied into full heat position. No blend door actuator. This explains why on 60F vent setting she blows only hot air. Good news is all the other system items prolly needed to be done anyway aside from the new heater control valve. The bad news is that when I connect the new blend door actuator to the connector and adjust the temp up and down the new actuator motor adjustor gear does not move.

Ive noticed some posts where on startup the ACT unit displays an 888 briefly before going off. Is it likely that the ATC unit needs a reset before installing the the new actuator or there is some other electrical gremlin on the other end of the actuator connector?

Another option is running a manual level on the blend door. Anyone have any suggestions on each?

Blend Door Actuator 1.jpg

Not sure if this is your problem but I had a similar issue and have a post on here somewhere. Basically mine would go to warm or hot when I was accelerating due to lack of vacuum, had to put a one way vacuum valve in the line that goes down to the ball on the passenger side fender which seems to have eliminated the issue. But that was also on a manual control system with a v6. Not sure if the v8's or atc systems suffered from that issue.

Im not seeing those same things. When on vent satys full heat at 60F or 90F. Max AC gets cold when it goes to recirc.

Back