2000 Explorer P0741 Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer P0741 Question

FLDatatek

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ok My first post here on the boards, but I have been doing a lot of reading already. First I'll give you a little history then ask my question.

History:
I have had my 2000 Explorer (174k miles) for about 5 years (purchased 2nd hand)and during the past few years I began hearing a squeaking noise from under the truck but thought nothing of it since its a older truck. Also there was a kind of dull noise when shutting the truck off as well, but the truck drove fine and never threw any codes.

Then one day out of the blue we were leaving to go to the store and the truck just stopped going forward and reverse. Reving the engine to try and build pressure in the torque converter did not help. So we towed it home. Where it has sat for about 8-9 months as I had another car to drive.

I had suspected that it was the torque converter so I ordered a new one.

Current:
Last week end me and my brother dropped the tranny to replace the torque converter and all went well. Come to find out that the inner set of splines in the old converter had been grinded down flat. (The grinding noise I heard) It didn't appear to damage the shafts splines. So we got everything put back together and filled the tranny with fluid.

Ok here is where the weird part starts:
Looking in the manual I thought I read that the tranny needed Mercon and I from the old school with Mercon/Dextron so I got Merc/Dex tranny fluid and put that in there... Well now I am throwing a P0741 code on the tranny and I never had a code before it broke. And now looking and reading some more I realize that this tranny needs Mercon V fluid so I bought some and plan on swapping it out next week along with a new filter and gasket.

So my question: (finally)
Would the Merc/Dex fluid I put in there be causing the P0741 code? I was originally thinking EPC or TCC solenoid but in light of the new info on the fluid I think that might be causing it. But I would like to only drop the pan once if I can so that is why I ask if the wrong fluid I put in it would cause it to throw a P0741 code.

Any help that can be provided would be great..
Thanks in advanced
- Jeremy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check any and all electrical connectors on the trans .maybe one didnt seat well going back together.
i doubt the fluid make it throw a code unless its(the trans) running too hot or something.

I have not dropped the pan yet, probably this week. But I suspect I will find metal due to it chewing up the inner spline on the torque converter.

Thx for the tip.. I'll read up on it now..

Ouch, if you stripped the converter splines then you got problems. I would have done a full rebuild because now all the metal shavings and chunks are circulating throughout your trans, valve body, trans cooling system, etc...The P0741 could be a solenoid thats infused with metal chunks/particles. With that said, once you drop the pan you'll know what type of problem (big or small) your dealing with when you inspect the fluid and if there are chunks in the pan. Good luck.

I did go ahead and reseat all the electrical connections on the tranny as suggested, but no luck there..

Filter and gasket will be here in two days.. along with new Mercon V fluid.

Funny thing is it shifts and acts perfect till you get about 7 or 8 miles down the road, then it goes into limp mode and shifts funny after it does.. But before that it shows no appearant problems shifting.

Did you drop the valve body and inspect the passages? Might want to install a drain plug on the pan now that its comin off and on...

OK , well I just dropped the pan... And I am happy to report that there is no pieces of metal in the pan, just a little bit of fine grit, other than that it is very clean.. no build up or caking etc...

Should I pull the solenoids out and see if they are clogged?

OK ... Back again..

The new filter is in cleaned up the inside of the pan and the pan is back on. Filled it up with Mercon V this time :p

Took it for a test drive.. It definitely feels more responsive but I am still getting a code (O/D light blinking) and going in to limp mode.

The old filter did not look clogged up or gunked up.

It does look like there has been service done on the tranny before as I found some blue RVT sealant on top of a few of the bolts when I took them out.

If I remember right now that I think of it I think the guy who pulled the codes off the tranny before said that there was a speed sensor code as well. Would this be the sensor on the back of the tranny or the one on the rear axel? My speedometer is working fine, so I assume the one on the back of the tranny.

Back