2000 mercury mountaineer 5.0 awd need rear leaf springs???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 mercury mountaineer 5.0 awd need rear leaf springs????

Summajet

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mercury Mountaineer
Truck has 225,000 miles and the rear leaf springs need replacing. I tow a boat and also an enclosed 6'x12' trailer. I am not sure what brand or weight capacity to get and install. I want springs that will have the same capacity as stock or maybe increase the capacity by 100-150 lbs at the tongue. I saw the 100lb capacity and I think a 1,350lb capacity. Has total of 4 springs stock and are mounted under the axle. I know that increasing capacity can cause the ride to be stiffer. Looking for advice and or from members that have installed a pair of rear leaf springs and overall ride, and if they droop any when towing anything??
I really appreciate the input!
Thanks, Garland

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New springs would definitely help. There are various vendors that sell everything from OEM type springs to stiffer aftermarket springs. It is even possible to have your original springs re-arched. But before you do that, is there any reason you believe they are bad? Are they sagging or does the truck lean to one side? (Usually left side).
For my towing use I installed coil assist shocks. They did very well while towing. I've since upgraded to an Expedition so I no longer toe with the Explorer, but as stated, they worked well while I did.

Yes truck has some sag on the rear and I installed coil assist shocks.

That being the case, sounds like you have two options. One is cheap and easy but isn't a true fix. That would be a set of lift shackles like warrior to raise the back up. These are good quality and won't hurt to use but you've still got the tired springs. The other is of course New springs which will cost more and be more work to put in but in my opinion is a better long term solution. New springs are available all over the internet.

Tired springs + lift shackles doesn't seem to be good combination or so i have heard.

option 1(what i am running, cheapest)
1/2 flat stock drilled at 8.5" x4(lift shackle)
Explorer Pro Comp 13120 Rear Short Add-a-Leaf Kit(removed my sag)
02 f250 rear shocks with pin bar eliminators.(optional for more travel)

option 2
Explorer Leaf Springs, Ford Explorer Leaf Spring
never ordered from them but they sell replacement spring packs online

option 3
chevy 63/64(have to move the front spring hanger forward and drill new holes, better ride/more flex) and can upgrade to 3/4 ton springs if its not enough)
80-96 2wd f150 springs
1980-1996 Ford F-Series Rear Springs, Stock (Pair) 2wd-Broncograveyard.com
moves the axle forward slightly, 11/16s i believe
F-150 leaf conversion?

have to flip the center pin on both as they are setup for spring over from the factory.

both at 1 to 3" depending on condition of springs new/old

option 4
Airbags
1998-2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD - Ride Control Air Helper Springs [REAR] [59514] | $247.95 | SD Truck Springs | Leaf Springs, Helper Springs and Suspension Parts

I found the sd website last night and saw the air bag helpers. I am currently rebuilding my 5.3l on my Yukon and once that project rolls out the garage then I think I am going to give the air bags a try. I had something similar but it was adjustable air shocks on a 1983 chevy truck shortbed. That was nice at that time as I could adjust the tongue height.

Why not disassemble the springs and use a hydraulic press to re arch the springs
A bit dangerous bus is a permanent free fix

or take them to a local spring shop for re arching and a rebuild properly

Airbags/air shocks are a good options for helping with a load

Start spraying your leaf spring bolts with some penetrating oil now....the shackle bolts can be a real nightmare!! A torch can be very helpful

or take them to a local spring shop for re arching and a rebuild properly
How do you think they do it

It's an easy job I've done it
I'm Certainly not scared of a spring

I know I can't just go buy things I can fix myself
Like lots suggest on this forum s
I thought I'd put it out there
I've had tons of people tell me ....Why didn't you post this idea earlier .. and I say it's not the proper way and I get ...on this forum all ideas are welcome
Like I said not everyone can just throw cash at the problem
Besides things like this I have learned way more than anyone can try to teach

Lol I was lust looking the closest shop is 83.4 miles away

@donalds

Sometimes starting out with the phrase "just sayin' " will help keep the thermostat down in the forum - lol!

Check it out - I appreciate reading/learning from everybody's experience, and in the end, choosing what works for me.

If something occurs on my Ex on a Friday, and I have the weekend free, I'm intrigued with reading/trying a "hammer and anvil" fix myself (such as Donald suggested) if I have the time, tools, life insurance, and a way to ensure my wife stays in the house :chug:

Other times, like at the beginning of the week, I'm pressed for time (due to having a daily driver) and need to find out what the fix is and how is the best way to spend my $$$.

HTH and YMMV ;)

@donalds

Sometimes starting out with the phrase "just sayin' " will help keep the thermostat down in the forum - lol!

Check it out - I appreciate reading/learning from everybody's experience, and in the end, choosing what works for me.

If something occurs on my Ex on a Friday, and I have the weekend free, I'm intrigued with reading/trying a "hammer and anvil" fix myself (such as Donald suggested) if I have the time, tools, life insurance, and a way to ensure my wife stays in the house :chug:

Other times, like at the beginning of the week, I'm pressed for time (due to having a daily driver) and need to find out what the fix is and how is the best way to spend my $$$.

HTH and YMMV ;)
Agreed
I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers here tho I hope I didn't come off like a Ass I like to think I'm a pretty nice guy
Just type what I know

Back