2000 mercury mountaineer awd rear leaf springs saggy need to replace | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 mercury mountaineer awd rear leaf springs saggy need to replace

Summajet

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mercury Mountaineer
Mountaineer 5.0L all wheel drive, rear leaf springs have 225,000 miles pulling a enclosed trailer and boat trailer. They have gotten saggy and when enclosed 6'x12' trailer is attached it sags in the rear. Without any trailer attached it is lower in the rear end. Can anyone give me a good supplier or source for replacing them?
Sd Trucks has a set for $81.48
Has anyone used their springs and if so are you happy with them?

1991-2001 Ford Explorer (Spring Over Axle) (4 dr) - Leaf Spring (Rear - 3/1 Leaves)
oem-replacement.gif

Model: 43-967
by Mulitple Sources

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got mine from Michigan Truck Spring a few years back. No more saggy butt.

Here are some pictures of the current leaf springs. I have purchased new shackles and u-bolts as current ones are rusty. I also added pictures

mntr spring pic1.jpg

mntr spring pic2.jpg

what you want to take a picture of is the front spring hanger, this is where you can see if the main leaf still has any arch to it or if it has gone negative arch :)
Start soaking the upper shackle bolts and other leaf spring bolts with some penetrating oil now, the upper shackle bolts on the explorer can give you hell, especially the passenger side because it is near the exhaust.
I have had a stuck /broken bolt in the frame turn a few hours spring replacement into a two week dilemma before

Maybe look into those monroe shock helpers? Leaf springs and those shackle bolts aren't a fun job on a bolt that has been living there for over 20 years.

Maybe look into those monroe shock helpers? Leaf springs and those shackle bolts aren't a fun job on a bolt that has been living there for over 20 years.
Look closer they are already installed.

@Summajet , the ad in the Original post is for spring over axle leafs.

Your setup is spring under axle.

rockauto has leafs of varied ratings.

Installing coilovers to compensate for shot springs is shoddy work, IMO. The upper shock mounts aren’t designed to support the vehicle like that. Putting a band aid on a gun shot wound.

My trucklet had well over a dozen salty northeast winters and 220,000 miles when I did the leaf springs. An impact made quick work of the hardware. Presoak in penetrant. Do it once, do it right.

Find a local spring shop to you. There are many heavy truck shops that do leaf spring work. They can re arch your springs. I had it done on my previous X and added an add a leaf, which if you’re towing, will make the ride much much better and will make the truck feel more confident and planted.

Back