2001 mercury mountaineer 5.0 awd conversion to rwd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 mercury mountaineer 5.0 awd conversion to rwd

rnfjr1992

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Wayne
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001mountaineer 5.0 awd
Ive converted my 01 mountaineer from awd to rwd. What wheel front wheel bearings could i use for the fronts? Obviously need to be fronts from a 2wd. Im mainly wondering if the bolt pattern that holds it to the knuckle is the same as the awd/4x4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Consider investing in a Haynes Manual... it has saved me many times... should have ur answer...
Mercury Mountaineer (1997 - 2001) Repair Manuals

Screenshot 2019-12-17 at 08.31.36.png

Just remove the front left and right axles, remove the front differential. Why would you need to change the wheel bearings, unless they are bad?

Yes they are bad but for right now i have the ends of the half shafts still in the hubs for the pre load. I know the 2wd bearing hubs are different just not sure which ones to get

You should consider swapping out the knuckles also to 2wd knuckles

Would that change the position for the outter tie rods?

Interesting

The knuckles are way different
I'd just repair your current knuckles

Theres nothing wrong with the knuckles i have on. Its the wheel bearings.

Theres nothing wrong with the knuckles i have on. Its the wheel bearings.
Then replace them

Two wheel drive and four wheel drive have to completely different bearings and knuckles

Just my opinion but depending on location it might be cheaper to invest in a pair of junkyard 2WD knuckles and pay for an alignment. That's what I did when my 2WD converted 2000 needed bearings a while back. Knuckles were $25 a whack, alignment was $75.

Without the axles installed, you can’t preload the bearings. I’d be very hesitant to drive around on 4WD bearings without the axles in place, or at least a means of preloading the bearings.

I’m not smart on the 2WD knuckles/bearings. If they will bolt into a 4WD knuckle without screwing anything else up (brakes, etc), go for it. If not, I’d recommend swapping in 2WD knuckles.

Without the axles installed, you can’t preload the bearings. I’d be very hesitant to drive around on 4WD bearings without the axles in place, or at least a means of preloading the bearings.

I’m not smart on the 2WD knuckles/bearings. If they will bolt into a 4WD knuckle without screwing anything else up (brakes, etc), go for it. If not, I’d recommend swapping in 2WD knuckles.
@C420sailor @rnfjr1992

How about pulling out both drive axles, disassembling the CV joints, leaving you with the inner and outer axle stubshafts, replace the two inner shafts, then use the outers to secure the bearings properly in the bearing retainers, tightening up those two big nuts? That leaves you with functioning 4X4 front knuckles, no leaks on the inner axle stub locations, and to boot, pull out the front driveshaft to stop all motion within the differential. imp

You guys that's what he has currently otherwise his wheels would have fallen off already:

Yes they are bad but for right now i have the ends of the half shafts still in the hubs for the pre load. I know the 2wd bearing hubs are different just not sure which ones to get

Keep the setup you have OR convert to 2wd knuckles and wheel bearings....the 2wd knuckles are closed on the backside, no holes.

Im pretty sure what the OP is asking is can we bolt 2wd bearings to 4x4 knuckles??? I am not sure...I do have some 2wd knuckles downstairs from a 2001 Explorer if you are interested i could send them. I will try to get some pics

Just remove the front left and right axles, remove the front differential. Why would you need to change the wheel bearings, unless they are bad?
Years back someone tried this. Want to guess what happened?

You can NOT put any 2WD bearings on 4WD knuckles. Do NOT drive without the end of the CV shaft through the hub with a nut on it tightened down. There was a member years ago when I joined who tried that. Live and learn.

Running the CVs disassembled with both ends where they go is actually pretty useful, if your hub bearings are bad though, replace with 2WD knuckles and get it aligned. It's cheaper that way and a lot more professional looking underneath the truck.

Back