• Register Today It's free!

rwd to awd conversion

tjmaxx

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt
I have a 96 XLT 5.0 with RWD. I have access to several 96 XLT 5.0 donors that are AWD. Everything looks like it should be a straight forward bolt on. Am I wrong or is there anything anyone can tell me about this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

VERY Straight forward.

It does require removal of the WHOLE transmission, but other than that.....

Bolt in the new Transmission/transfercase, install front axle, install drivelines.

No electronics or anything like that on the AWD.

I will ask though, WHY? AWD's get worse gas mileage.

I would install a manual Transfercase, if anything.

Ryan

I hate driving in the snow. Granted we only get 2 snowfalls a year if that. I really want the better traction.

How much more work is involved going to 4WD instead of AWD?

I agree. You are better off going with the 4x4 transfercase.

But he is only driving in the snow a couple times a year....he doesn't live in Fargo...he's in Indy...

Ryan

AWD would be the way to go IMHO. It'll be a whole lot simpler than dealing with the 44-06 shifter mechanism, and the mileage will be the same either way.

Don't forget about all the front end parts that will be needed as well.

There is NO WAY that an AWD vehicle will get the same mileage as a 4WD vehicle. All things being equal, the 4WD driven in 2HI 99.9% of the time will get better mileage than the AWD.

Ryan

There is NO WAY that an AWD vehicle will get the same mileage as a 4WD vehicle. All things being equal, the 4WD driven in 2HI 99.9% of the time will get better mileage than the AWD.

Ryan

And what would lead you to believe that?

On the second-gen Explorers with a live front axle, all of the components of the system are being driven at all times, regardless of whether it's all wheel drive or 4 wheel drive. Even with a manual 44-06 swap, the front half of the drivetrain still rotates at all times. There *may* be some very minor differences in overall drag between the AWD and the part-time cases set to 2wd, but they will be immeasurable and play such a minor part as to be unnoticed in fuel economy numbers.

I hear the same argument made at converting the automatic 4WD case to 2WD via the brown wire mod. Again, no measurable difference whatsoever in fuel economy between auto 4wd and 2wd.

Thanks for the opinions and info everybody. Im think Im still going for the AWD.

AWD also handles very nicely.

Back