• Register Today It's free!

2001 Valve Chatter/Pinging

jahribar

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 XLT
I have a 2001 Explorer Sport 4x4 SOHC 4.0 78k miles 87 octane gas. When accelerating with rpm between 2400 and 3000 the valves chatter excessively. I tried Sea Foam today through the PCV valve TB and no difference. No white smoke either! New Motorcraft platinum plugs, new wires too. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it pinging, or the valvetrain? If it's the valvetrain, you need to look into doing some of the valvetrain upgrade work. Good luck,
Don

Valvetrain upgrade work? Not sure what you mean.

Hope it's not your valvetrain. Try some octane booster from a part store and some fuel injector cleaner. How long has this been going on?

A while. I thought it was the 87 octane and didn't think too much of it. Just began to anoy me recently. Changed my driving habits to not hear the noise. Mileage is still ok at 17 - 19 mpg combined city highway. What do I need to do to check the valvetrain?

You'd have to remove your valve covers and inspect them. I'm telling you, try the octane booster and fuel injector cleaner. Run a tank of 93 octane through and see what happens. Give it a week. You DO NOT want to do a valve job, so take you chances and see if it works.

Pinging is more common when a tuneup is needed. Pinging(pre-detonation) will stop if you change throttle settings while accelerating. If it is valvetrain noise, the noise will increase smoothly as you increase the throttle pressure.

You can adjust your driving habits to lessen pinging. Valvetrain noise isn't as sensitive to the throttle pressure.

The pre 2002 SOHC engines evidently had poor cam cassette designs, and the 2002 versions are better. Whenever Ford was forced to work on one of the pre 2002 SOHC engines for valvetrain noise, they either replaced the whole engine, or just used 2002 parts. Search for "SOHC" and "cassettes" to see some of the other threads about the subject.
Don

Intake manifold gaskets

With my '98 4.0 SOHC, when the engine starts pinging it's time to replace the intake manifold gaskets. I have 170K miles on this engine and they've been replaced 3 times; twice under warranty.

Well I guess it's pinging since no noise other than between 2400 & 3000 RPM under acceleration. I can eliminate the noise with driving habits, not being such a lead foot. I'll try the 93 octane and see what happens.

That's good news then. Try tune up items rather than octane. Check the air filter. Use fuel injector cleaner occasionally, better air filter, better spark plug wires, cleaning the IAC solenoid, the MAF, etc.

I see that you already changed wires. What plug gap did you set, .054? I'd hunt for something besides changing the octane. The OHV 4.0's are awful about pinging. I have 111k on my 93, I use 87 octane, and I look forward to changing it for the SOHC.
Don

There is a known issue with the SOHC engines that have rattling in that RPM range. Has to do with the Tensioners or Cassettes (can't remember which), but it's different from the 00M12 and 01M01 issues.

One of those #'s includes the front tensioner, check valve, and gaskets. The other I believe is the front cassette. The tensioners are simple spring loaded pistons. Oil pressure supplements the springs. The check valve is to keep some oil in the front tensioner when the engine is off. Both tensioner screw into the side of the a head. With nothing blocking them, they can be changed in a minute. To change the cam cassette(s) requires some engine disassembly, and cam timing tools. I changed my main timing chain when I did mine. It is called the jackshaft chain, and is just like a normal pushrod engine timing chain. It connects the crank to the jackshaft.

The cassettes cost just over $60 each, and include the two sprockets, chain, and chain guide. The parts are not expensive, but the labor to install them is. Weigh the cost of the work now, against the cost of a blown engine if you are not lucky. Good luck,
Don

How do I find out more about the "issue" with rattling in that rpm range? Is there some documentation I can look at?

You might be wise to have a trusted expert drive it, and hear it. It may be mild(leave it alone), or it may be bad enough that it shouldn't be driven. Good luck,
Don

Finally took the Explorer to Ford. They said the problem is the Primary Chain Drive components. (Timing Chain Tensioner, Chain Guide, Jackshaft and Crankshaft Sprockets, etc) Basically the same problem covered under ONP 01M01 for earlier model Explorers. I researched and found a technical service bulletin TSB 04-15-4 that addresses the problem for my 2001. I'm a little ticked that the TSB has 5.8 hours of labor and the dealer wants 8.0 hours @ 84.95 to do the repair. They wont budge on the 8.0 hours because it has 80k+ miles and they "might" run into "unexpected issues". The other thing is that I knew more about these issues than the dealership thanks to this site. I'l probably shop the local Ford dealerships to see if I can get a lower price. Thanks to everyone for their input.....

The parts themselves are not bad, less than $150 for what I did in the front. The special tools are about $150+, so if you could find a willing mechanic, and the tools, then the repair wouldn't be so expensive. Good luck,

What special tools are needed?

Mac

Start by reading through these two threads. Most of what you need to know is in them. The tool kit is very special, and between $150-$200 to buy. I will keep mine for future use. Just know that the rear cam cassette is supposedly not as likely to cause problems. The big issue with that rear part, is that the engine or transmission has to come out to get to that cassette. The job is for those comfortable with serious mechanical work. Good luck,
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127977&highlight=cam+cassette+tensioner
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139267&highlight=cam+cassette+tensioner

Back