A day on the trail. :) Many Pics | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A day on the trail. :) Many Pics

still waiting, its after 6 now man
Scotty
p.s. WE hope the missus is ok

I just got up! Heading out soon to start cutting holes etc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

musn't have gone well, LOL

musn't have gone well, LOL

All done - still need to reattach the inner splash guard, and the fender flares, but the snorkel is on and modified to follow the explorer windscreen - looks a bit ordinary at the moment, as the pop rivets etc are visible, but I plan to grind them down a bit, and fibreglass over the top.

Anyway, here are some build pics, taken with my mobile phone camera; quality is questionable.
Cardboard Panel
Snorkel_Card_Panel.jpg

Holes cut in Fender
Snorkel_FenderHoles_2.jpg

Holes in inner panel with rubber lining attached
Snorkel_PanelHoles_3.jpg

Airbox modified to accept 3" joiner for snorkel tubing
Snorkel_AirBox_1.jpg

"Normal" airbox intake sealed
Snorkel_AirBox_2.jpg

Airbox new bits painted black
Snorkel_AirBox_3.jpg

Snorkel fitted to fender
Snorkel_FenderFitted_1.jpg

Inside of fender showing 3" flex tubing for airbox.
Snorkel_FenderFitted_2.jpg

Panel and snorkel fitted up (it sits very crooked; it is made for a landcruiser 75 series, after all)
Snorkel_Fitted_2.jpg

Snorkel modified to lay back against windscreen surround
Snorkel_Fitted_Modified_1.jpg

All up, that's about 5 hours work last night (pulling the panel off, making the cardboard panel, and replacing the airbox with a K&N pod so we could drive today), and then about 6 hours today - still have about an hours work left just to tidy up a bit.

Good job, looks like you did alot of work. :thumbsup:

You don't like the end result?

Yes and no. I like it because I did it, but I don't like it because you can tell I did it. It's kind of like the winch - good idea, and at least I've done it, but there's no going back now! At worst, though, I'll keep the bit on the fender, and just use some standard PVC piping or something for the bit up the windscreen; though I guess this isn't really too bad - especially if it actually works!

As you know, there's nothing like this out there for an Ex though, so this is probably the best I could do with what I had. If you are still keen to do yours, I'd go for one that has the same external length along the guard (it's perfect - comes in right next to where the standard airbox goes), but try and get one with a better angle to fit the windscreen. It may pay to make up a cardboard template of your windscreen angle in relation to the top of the guard, and then compare that to other 4WDs. I think the Mitsubishi Pajero or Triton may be a better fit; only issue there is, I think their airbox is on the left!

I'm thinking I'm going to do it like the pic I posted up a few pages ago. Mandrel bends and a safari end at the top. That way I can make sure the angles are exactly what I want.

So have you got much chance to drive with it on? notice any differences? good or bad..

I'm thinking I'm going to do it like the pic I posted up a few pages ago. Mandrel bends and a safari end at the top. That way I can make sure the angles are exactly what I want.

So have you got much chance to drive with it on? notice any differences? good or bad..

Nah, not really. Drove it before, but didn't have the sealed airbox, just the K&N pod. The airbox paint is still drying. Will have it in the truck in a few hours though, so will take it for a spin in the morning, just to check that it's not restricted or anything. In theory, it should get colder air - just as long as 3" pipe is enough air!

All done. It's 4:15 am local time, and I've just finished. The join in the snorkel is now sealed with silicon, rivets have been painted black, then siliconed over the top, and Pod box installed and hooked up solely to the snorkel. Wheel arch splash guard is back on, and so is the fender flare.

We'll take it out tomorrow arvo and I'll be able to see if it's lost any punch with only a 3" intake feeding the sirbox - should be OK though, I started it up before, and you can feel the air being sucked into the snorkel, so at speed, it should have a RAM-air effect.

Let us know when you get it tested. :thumbsup:

good luck with the test drive, wondering if vision will be lessened, I'm wanting to install mine to the passenger side (australian r.h.d.) after Xmas when the supercharger goes on
Scotty

Vision is not impeded too much - it makes the A pillar about an inch wider than standard. In fact, the black slimline weathershields I installed last week have more of an impact on vision!

Cool, I didn't figure it would be too hard to see past.

Took it for a 20km run, and seems to be fine. Kicks down when it feels like it (typical explorer), but gets off the line just as quick as before, and revs out to red-line with the foot flat; no sign of struggling at all.

Just a note on the looks - from the front, it looks great, but from the side, with the wiggly piping, looks a bit odd. At the end of the day though, $210 fitted for what I have is a lot cheaper than RRP at $450 odd (that's if they even made one for ours), so I'm quite happy from that viewpoint.

Good stuff, glad it's worked out for you. :thumbsup:

Next job is to check to see if there are diff breathers, and if there are, how high they go, and if not high enough, then make a kit to extend them up out of the waterline (above the sills of the lower part of the body). Then she should be shallow crossing proof.

glad she goes well
Scotty

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

glad she goes well
Scotty
Me too - would've been a bugger of a job fixing the holes in the panels!

Scotty - any updates on your pipe idea?

Back