2002 Explorer 4.0 SOHC swap using 04 Sport trac 4.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer 4.0 SOHC swap using 04 Sport trac 4.0

chrisaw0811

Reaction score
City, State
Southern Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer EB 4.0
Hello, does anyone know if the 04 explorer sport trac 4.0 sohc will fit the 02 explorer xls without any mods? Are the engine mounts the same? And also what about the wiring harness? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the blocks are the same, I would just swap parts as needed, your old engine mounts will bolt on to replacement engine. their are a few different types of intakes and fuel injectors and fuel rails, also the knock sensor and thermostate and maybe housing you might want to use off your old engine, some years mount the coil pack in a different spots, and the egr tube could be mounted on either driver manifold or passanger manifold, to play it safe I would swap old parts on to replacement engine, I know the crank pully and crank sensor are the same and the cam shaft sensors is the same, make sure you get spark plugs for the new year engine. some years have different spark plugs.

I have replaced the engine in my 1997 with an 2001 engine, and I have an 2003 that I put an 2010 engine in, and all of the blocks have looked the same.

Thanks for the quick response. I won't have to swap the wiring harnesses then, right? I found a good deal on an wrecked 04 sport trac and i want to put the engine in my 02 explorer with a seized engine.

the blocks are the same, I would just swap parts as needed, your old engine mounts will bolt on to replacement engine. their are a few different types of intakes and fuel injectors and fuel rails, also the knock sensor and thermostate and maybe housing you might want to use off your old engine, some years mount the coil pack in a different spots, and the egr tube could be mounted on either driver manifold or passanger manifold, to play it safe I would swap old parts on to replacement engine, I know the crank pully and crank sensor are the same and the cam shaft sensors is the same, make sure you get spark plugs for the new year engine. some years have different spark plugs.

I have replaced the engine in my 1997 with an 2001 engine, and I have an 2003 that I put an 2010 engine in, and all of the blocks have looked the same.

I have a 2002 Ford explorer 4.0lt and engine have blown head gasket I see you swapped a 2010 engine in a 2003, what did you do for this to work, I was going to trash the explorer but my son wants it, I understand this could not be done.

I'd be curious about this as well? There is an 06 engine close by me with 80k miles and real cheap. Needs new piston rings but that's not so horrible. I have a 2002 so would the wiring all be the same and what not?

Back