2002 grinding while turning when accelerating | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 grinding while turning when accelerating

camaro_guy_z28

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer
Earlier tonight i was in my 02 x 135,000 miles 4x4. When going real slow, the car makes a grinding sound only when you are on the gas when turning left or right. It has always done this since i've owned it but tonight it was 100 times worse. You can actually feel it. I can not pinpoint where it is coming from but it almost sounds and feels like front and rear. Any ideas or suggestions. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is it a grinding or more of a vibration/rubbing? my rear diff was shuddering when i turned, i went and got some friction modifier from the dealership, it was like 7 bux and cured my shuddering/vibration. i would try that if it sounds like the same problem

is it a grinding or more of a vibration/rubbing? my rear diff was shuddering when i turned, i went and got some friction modifier from the dealership, it was like 7 bux and cured my shuddering/vibration. i would try that if it sounds like the same problem
Actually if seems like a combination of grinding, vibrating and rubbing. It will only do it if you are turning real slow while pressing the gas pedal.

Were you accidently in 4x4 high and not know it?

yea it almost sounds like mine did. show turn with the gas would make it vibrate. try the friction modifier. it`s a super easy fix

Grinding noise when turning

I would have to suggest that it could be a CV joint on your drive axle.If it only does it while turning irregardless whether the throttle is pressed or not, the force on the CV joint, if it is worn, will transfer any noise throughout the front end.I am not that familiar with all the Explorer years and what type of axle configurations they came with but, I have a 2003 Sport with CV joint axles so presume you do to. If not CV joint then suspect wheel bearing.

Were you accidently in 4x4 high and not know it?
No, i actually turned the 4x4 on on the way home last night, just to see if anything different happened. Everything was the same.

yea it almost sounds like mine did. show turn with the gas would make it vibrate. try the friction modifier. it`s a super easy fix
What's all involved with adding the friction modifier?

What's all involved with adding the friction modifier?

There's a fill plug you take out (1/4 drive? 3/8? I forget)... put in additive there. Though if you're able to put in additive without anything spilling out... you are low on gear oil... and might consider changing all of the gear oil from the rear-end, if you're heading that direction anyway.

There's a fill plug you take out (1/4 drive? 3/8? I forget)... put in additive there. Though if you're able to put in additive without anything spilling out... you are low on gear oil... and might consider changing all of the gear oil from the rear-end, if you're heading that direction anyway.

There is a drain plug correct? I'm thinking just drain everything out and start over can't hurt anything. I haven't been able to do a search for rear end fluid yet. What do i need? Is the friction modifier a separate fluid or is it all 1 fluid? I would have to double check but 2002 explorer 4.0 3.73Limited slip Thanks

There is a drain plug correct? I'm thinking just drain everything out and start over can't hurt anything. I haven't been able to do a search for rear end fluid yet. What do i need? Is the friction modifier a separate fluid or is it all 1 fluid? I would have to double check but 2002 explorer 4.0 3.73Limited slip Thanks

I couldn't find a drain plug on my 98 EB... so I took off the differential cover (secured by roughly 10 bolts). I loosened all of the bolts, then took off the bottom half of bolts and very carefully pried the bottom half open a hair... enough for fluid to start escaping. Eventually the whole cover came off and I scraped off the gasket. Used high-temp RTV silicone when re-attaching the cover for the gasket.

Used about 3 bottles of gear oil...went with a full synthetic, each bottle was around $9 i think? The additive is a separate bottle and it was around $6. Didn't quite use all 3 bottles, I put in the additive first... then the gear oil... used up almost all 3, maybe closer to 2.75 + additive.

It's not hard by any means... hardest part is getting the damn fresh gear oil into the rear end lol. I tried with a hand pump.. but that was taking far too long... so I just finally managed to jam a bottle up there & get it into the fill hole and squeezed the bottle til empty. Once the fluid starts leaking back out of the fill hole, plug it... it's full.

After, drive it around a little bit (couple miles I'd guesstimate)... then check for leaks. And just in case you're not aware already, gear oil smells like pure butthole. Or sulfur. Or rotten eggs. Whatever you prefer :).

\

On yours, their is 2 plugs on your rear diff. a drain plug, which is the bigger one on the bottom, and the fill plug, which is just directly ablove the drain plug. it`s a little bit smaller.

all you have to do is go buy some friction modifier, it`s just a little bottle that costs about 7 bucks.

make sure the truck is on level ground, crawl under their and undo the top plug (Filler plug) if you stick your finger in their, and can feel fluid, your fluid is topped up to the proper level. all i did was squeeze the modifier in their and bolt it back up.

Drive around for a bit and the vibration should go away.

but doing a fluid change couldn`t hurt.

when i did a fluid change a while back i used motocraft synthetic- SAE 75W-140 rear axle lubricant.

hope that helps

Thanks alot for the help mirge. And no i didn't know it smelled like that, i will keep that in mind.
For the 02+ owners, what viscosity do i need to get. Any particular brands, Mobil? Synthetic/non? Thanks again for the help everyone, i'm just hoping that this helps to eliminate the problem.

You might try the additive first if you have room... but I'd replace the fluid anyway if it was my truck. If you have a drain plug (mine doesn't)... more power to ya, should be super easy then.

You might try the additive first if you have room... but I'd replace the fluid anyway if it was my truck. If you have a drain plug (mine doesn't)... more power to ya, should be super easy then.
Yeah, i am planning on doing the fluid since i plan on keeping the car till it won't go anymore. The way i look at it is the fluid will outlast the rest of the car.

Will driving this thing around for a few more days cause any major/any damage?

My 02 Limited was doing the same thing. I first replaced the fluid and friction modifier with non-motorcraft and that was a waste of money. So I drained it again and replaced it with the motorcraft synthetic- SAE 75W-140 rear axle lubricant and motorcraft friction modifier. Drove it for a while and it was still grinding so I added another bottle of motorcraft friction and that fixed it, no more grinding.

you said if you turned your 4x4 high on (or had it off) it did the same thing. It should do it when running 4hi only. Your 4x4 may not be disengaging properly, causing the binding when turning. If you're in a full turn and let off the gas, does the truck stop itself? If so, I think your 4hi is stuck on.

We are attempting to change the cv joint/drive axle on the front drivers side of our 02 Explorer today. We changed the hub assembly the other day thinking it was the bearrings but it wasn't. The horrible noise is still there and it's sounding/feeling like the wheel is going to fall off. The wheel feels like it's getting stuck and then decides to go again.

Is changing this part easy? anyone know where there is a thread on how to?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have you thought about your wheel bearings. Just a thought...grinding sound especially on turns. If the bearings fail completely then you will experience a lot of noise and you will definately feel it

Back