2002 V6 2WD rear wheels spinning at different speeds | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 V6 2WD rear wheels spinning at different speeds

JoshuaIngram

Reaction score
City, State
Hurst, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
2002 V6 2WD
This car was passed along from my family for me to fix or drive or recommend getting rid of. It runs fine, has about 150k miles, and is going through what I consider to be typical explorer wear and tear.
It has been hard to control and bearings were grinding so I changed:
Sway links
Front bearing hubs
front control arms
front lower ball joints
rear knuckles
rear toe links

Now, when I drive it, it sways heavily and very dangerously from side to side. worse than before. TO be clear, this is a sway meaning front and back not staying in line and having to correct with steering wheel, not a rock left and right between top and bottom. I was going to take it in to get it aligned, as I figured I'd need to do, but wanted to watch the rear wheels to make sure nothing was crooked or wobbly. When I raised the back end and put it in gear, the left wheel, in both Reverse and Drive, was spinning at normal speed and the right wheel was spinning very slowly. I don't hear any grinding, I have checked that pads and E brake shoes aren't engaged, and now can only think it would be the CV axle.
Is there a way to check that? What am I missing? Has anyone experienced this?
Thanks for your help.

As far as the free wheeling, I think you'll find adjustment of rear brake shoes( parking brake shoes) will cause that. I'd check adjustment.

Your truck is acting normal, you have an open rear differential which means power will go to the wheel with the least rolling resistance

When you turn the inner tire makes less rotations then the outer tire so an open differential is required for this smooth operation.

Both tires will only spin if you have a limited slip rear end and the limited slip Is still working

If you had a rear locker then both tires would spin no matter what and turning becomes harder

Since you replaced the rear toe
Links and did a new front end you simply need a 4’wheel alignment to stop the “dog tracking” and poor handling

Back