2004 EB 4.6 Explorer A/C Turns off & Back On at Random | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 EB 4.6 Explorer A/C Turns off & Back On at Random

cantornikolaos

Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Limited 5.0
Callsign
BigTime
In November, 2016, I got a new compressor installed. It worked flawlessly until just now. One day, about a year ago, it wouldn't turn-on. I didn't have pressure guages with me in Milwaukee, but I checked fuses/relays and no dice. At the end of the day, it magically started working again and worked flawlessly until last night. I was returning from a road-trip to NY, and as soon as I crossed the SC state line, it started blowing nasty, warm, wet air at me. Also, traffic on I-85 came to a halt shortly after. I hate this place, and I think it hates me back.

I checked the relays and fuses. No dice. I know there's Freon (R-134a) in the system, but I don't know if it's fully charged. Before it stopped working last night, there were no unusual noises. Today, I called a few places to get quotes for a diagnosis. The shops I called wanted to do unnecessary work and change an ungodly rate. After I got off the phone, it started working again, as if by magic. It worked great all day. Now, it is back at its old game of not turning on. I was driving and the system was working. Without any warning or unusual noises, It stopped. I again noticed warm, sticky, wet, nasty air blowing into the cabin.

Has anyone encountered this? If so, what is the culprit?

Thanks!

Back