2004 Explorer 4 X 8 of plywood fit? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Explorer 4 X 8 of plywood fit?

Jorgen

Reaction score
City, State
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 S4, '04 Explorer
I am working on accumulating supplies to redo my roof this summer. There is someone semi locally (25 minutes) with a good amount of OSB that he is looking to ditch cheap. I am just wondering will a 4x8 of plywood fit in my explorer with the seats down?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Honestly the best answer will come from someone taking a measurement of your interior because you would have to see if your comfortable with how much the rear hatch is able to close. You could save someone drive time and gas money by taking a measuring tape and measuring from side to side, back to front. And also check from lower corner to upper corner like this : / and \ I don't have a 04, but my 98 should fit 1 or 2 pieces if it's angled in. But then you run into the problem of not being able to close the hatch enuff....

If you can get them cheap enuff go to Uhaul and rent one of their flat trailers for $15.

It won't
I tried with a 8' folding table and I had to leave the hatch open and tied with some rope, it was a tight fit, put it in the roof rack

I was just assumign someone around here has hauled some plywood before. I will pull measurements when I get home tonight and see. I have a trailer I could use if needed but would prefer to avoid that since it is at my friends and he is out of town until next week.

I know my old spot didn't hold plywood well at all. I was hoping these larger ones would have a better change of being designed with things like that in mind.

Thanks Jad, not exactly the answer I was looking for but maybe I will just call my friedn and grab his trailer for the afternoon tomorrow or something.

Thanks Jad, not exactly the answer I was looking for but maybe I will just call my friedn and grab his trailer for the afternoon tomorrow or something.

I wouldn't haul a bunch of sheets on the roof, plywood gets heavy. As for the inside I am pretty certain you won't get them to lay flat. You could make 1 or 2 sheets fit but the top corners would be resting against the glass on the rear hatch when you closed it, it would also close very little. Your best bet is the trailer unfortunately unless you want to haul them 1-2 at a time.

Ya, I will have to consider grabbing the trialer. But then I either need a hitch to put in the reciever or to wait till my buddy gets back with his Jeep to use the trailer with that.

I won't be doing the roof thing. 20sheets of 1/2 inch OSB si not exactly something I watn to toss on the roof of the explorer.

I have hauled plywood in mine.

back in Virginia in 2003 before a hurricane. Made several trips to home depot for my house windows and my neighbor's houses windows.

The plywood will not lay flat on the floor, but will go in - it can be rough on the interior if not careful, and the plywood i bought could be bowed a little to reduce its width.

You will not be able to close the back lid, so safety is not great in this configuration. I tied mine down partially closed and drove the (very short) distance with all windows open and the blower on max, as exhaust fumes can be sucked into the interior with the tailgate open and windows closed.

Now I tie plywood to the roof rack. actually easier and safer.

Back