2004 Ranger Fuel Pump

dale_40422

Reaction score
City, State
Danville, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ranger Edge
Hi all,

I have a 2004 Ford Ranger Edge w/ 3.0L & manual transmission which I bought new. I've had fuel pump issues now for the 2nd time. The enertia switch reset doesn't fix the problem. The engine just died again tonight and I had to push it home. The first repair was a pump replacement which cost over $500. I suppose I'll face the same cost again. Is there a way to replace the in-tank pump with one under the hood, or at least outside the gas tank? The fuel pump assembly doesn't seem to last in the in-tank environment. This is an excellent truck, but this seems to be its primary weakness. I work nights about 50 miles from home and I'm now unable to trust my truck. Please offer any suggestions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all,

I have a 2004 Ford Ranger Edge w/ 3.0L & manual transmission which I bought new. I've had fuel pump issues now for the 2nd time. The enertia switch reset doesn't fix the problem. The engine just died again tonight and I had to push it home. The first repair was a pump replacement which cost over $500. I suppose I'll face the same cost again. Is there a way to replace the in-tank pump with one under the hood, or at least outside the gas tank? The fuel pump assembly doesn't seem to last in the in-tank environment. This is an excellent truck, but this seems to be its primary weakness. I work nights about 50 miles from home and I'm now unable to trust my truck. Please offer any suggestions.

Check fuel pressure and make sure the problem is fuel. The next question is whether or not your tank is clean. And I'm assuming that Ford's have an inline filter - is it blocked?

I had to replace mine and I wish an inline pump would be great

do you run it low on fuel often? That has been known to kill fuel pumps in these fords...You could have had a junky replacement pump too, or crap in the tank. You also might consider switching gas, if you use the same brand constantly. I have never had fuel pump problems in my explorer over 210,000 miles, and I assume the pumps are similar.

Thats what I was told never run them low on Fuel it would burn the pump or overheat or something to that effect. Thet are just expensive to replace an inline one would give more options

Back