• Register Today It's free!

Fuel pump problems

nova801428

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 Ford Ranger
I bought my truck 1 month ago and I can't figure it out. When I turn the key over the fuel pumps do not come on. I tested the fuel pumps from the relay switch and they both work. So, I bought a new relay switch, hooked it up and the fuel pumps still dont come on. I tried using a peice if copper wire to bypass the enertia switch and it does not work. also. there is no power coming to the enertia switch but I can jump the fuel pumps. Please help me.
Thanks for suggestions and your support

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On my old 86 I had something similar happen that caused the fuel pumps to not work. There was a small ground wire that came off the battery that cam disconnected hooked it back up and everything worked. It was like a 12 or 14 guage wire coming off the battery ground that I believe went to the computer.

I hope that is the problem, mine is also a 86 ranger which I forgot to say,
Thanks for your help, when I try it I will reply.

also do you know where the ground wire goes to?

Going from memory here so I could be off but.... There were three wires coming off the ground side of the battery. One went to the engine block or starter (biggest one) then one bolted to the body (guessing a 12 ga or so) then the third ran back towards the firewall on the pasanger side. I thought it went to the computer for the ngine but I could be wrong. It has been 2 plus years sence I had that truck and the problem was probably 6 years ago so I dont rmember all the details. Mine was a 2.9 5speed if that makes a difference.

mine is also a 2.9L V6m, thanks for the reply, but I have one more question. When the ground wire came loose did just the fuel pumps not work or did almost everything in your truck not work? because everything works except the fuel pumps and maybe more if I get the truck running. did your truck have enough power to pull a small fishing boat, and how reliable are they?
Thanks

Back