2004 XLT Towing question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 XLT Towing question

I recently purchased a 22 fishing boat. Boat, motor and trailer weigh approximately 4700-5000 pounds. I see my towing capacity is rated at 5300 yet I have a class II hitch installed on my truck which is rated at 3500 pounds. Anyone know the process of swapping out the factory class II hitch for a higher rated hitch? Can I remove the factory class II hitch myself? In looking at it, it appears the bumper may have to come off to slide it out. Strange why Ford would install a smaller hitch when every other SUV of it's size has a tow hitch with a higher towing capacity. All answers and suggestions appreciated.

Look at Reese tow powers website and see what hitches they have to offer for your X. Also another way if time was a little on the short side would be to go to Uhaul and have them size up a hitch for you. Have a good one

If you have a Class II and your Axle Code is a 45 (Open 3.55's) your limit is 3500lbs not 5,300. To really tow Class III +5klbs, not only will you need a ClassIII hitch but also 3.73 Gearing. As to the ClassIII hitch its a bolt on 20min if you can find one. I found mine at a junkyard with Wiring. I bought it to mount a bike rack and tow a 1000lb boat which isn't a big deal with the setup I have.

Just upgraded from the Class II to the Class III. I found a used Class III WITH the factory 7 pin wiring harness. That harness alone usually runs $85-$120, I got all for $75. This would be the way I would go. I am now towing my 5200# travel trailer with now problems (V8 engine of course). The bumber cover comes off in about 10 minutes and then the old reciever has three bolts on each side for a total of six. Let me know if I cam be of some help, as I just did this a week ago.
Thanks

Back