2005 Explorer - Wheels | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Explorer - Wheels

How do I upgrade my current 16" wheels to Ford 17" wheels? The dealer informs me that it is next to impossible to reprogram the computers to accept the new 17" wheels. For the 2005 model year Ford offered both 16" and 17" wheels from the factory. Has anybody ever modified the onboard computer for 17" wheels?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tire diameter is what would need to be accounted for, BUT if you are getting tires for the 17" wheels that are close to the same diameter as your current ones you shouldnt need to do any reprogramming.

The dealer had no problem programming our '02 for larger tires. They actually did it for free after we upgraded our tires when we complained of transmission trouble. So it is definetly possible.

speedo would only register about 4% slower, unless you can get it done for free, is hardly worth the expense,IMO

a reprogram of the GEM module would fix the speedo. Now, '05s have the option of TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) and can cause trouble with wheels and tires. Make sure the tires you purchase are rated for the air pressure the system runs at and make sure the sensors will mount to the wheels properly. Are you going with factory 17's or aftermarket 17s? I don't know, however, if the sensors are the same from rim size to another or if each rim size has a different sensor to compensate for less side wall. We charge about $100 for a reprogram, but at the dealer you can possibly do it for $80!

-Drew

Thank you for the reply. The Service Writer at the dealership said that they could not do it on my 05 because there were too many computer modules that might need to be reprogrammed. He also indicated that there might be a chance that the auto 4x4 system would kick in. I am replacing the stock 16" wheels with stock 17" wheels offered on that model with the same size tires. I also planned to install the correct TPMS valve stems. From everyones responses it appears that this dealer does not know a lot about servicing this SUV.

Back