2005 Ford Explorer Loud Noise in 4x4 High | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Ford Explorer Loud Noise in 4x4 High

Funkyafro

Reaction score
City, State
Cheyenne
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer
Hello everyone, I am new to these forums and recently purchased a 2005 ford explorer. I am having several problems with the car.

Problem number 1: Advance Trac warning light is on. System says Advance trac is offline.

Problem number 2: Abs light is on. I have checked the fuses and unplugged the battery but the light remains on.

Problem number 3: 4x4 is VERY loud. The car clunks into 4x4, like the tranny is shifting hard. When it is in 4x4 High, the car is more than loud enough to be noticeable. I have driven many 4x4 but none have been this loud. Possible CV joint failure?

Other than these problems the car drives very well.

Thanks for your responses,
Danny Brown.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Abs light sounds like it may be the hub bearings, I would jack it up and see if you get any movement in your tires... If you do a search you will see where there is a sensor hooked to the hub and when the hub goes bad it turns your abs light on because that is what that sensor is...

As far as the 4x4 being loud, have you changed/checked the fluid in it lately? Maybe all you need there is a quality fluid in there..

How many miles are on your x by the way?

I had some strange noises comming from the 4x4... Put in good synthetic fluid, and after 300-600 miles after noises went away. I actually gave up, then it got better...

Small tip, instead of taking off the front differential plate, I vacuumed out the fluid wig some old copper tubing, drove for a bit, then did again. Figure I got 99% of it, and didn't have to go through all that pain.

There are about 160k miles on the car.

Mine only had 70k at the time... Mechanic wanted to rebuild the trans, since I didn't have the money, I tried the fluid first...

Back