2005 Wheel Bearing noise, but not the bearing... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Wheel Bearing noise, but not the bearing...

b00stleak

Reaction score
City, State
New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Limited Ex
Hey guys, My Explorer has 208,x.. on it and wheel bearing noise started coming from the drivers front a while back. Finally got around to changing it and took it for a drive. The noise is still there. It changes pitch while taking on curves on the freeway or barely putting tension on the steering wheel in either direction. I replaced the original with a Timken, removed all corrosion and cleaned everything well.

It is clearly from the front left. I can stick my head out the window while driving slow and hear it. Any suggestions? CV Axle? Bearing in the front diff?

Any one else out there in Explorer land come across this?

Thanks guys

EDIT: Tires were replaced with 265/70/17 Duratracs in November. They have ~4000 miles on them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It could be the other side bearing or also one of the rear bearings. I have been there and done that also.

Thanks. Yea that's kinda where I am leaning. I would have put money that it was that bearing. I hate throwing parts at a problem just trying to get lucky. Wish there was a way to tell for sure.

I'm in the same scenario, I have a growl coming from the front (I think front left). I already knew my wheel bearing was shot on the front driver side so just this weekend I replaced it. Damn are those hub bolts tough to remove!

Like you, I took it for a test drive after and the growling is still there. Sadly it is currently my opinion I have a bad CV shaft. currently looking for a good price on one.

Since I can definitivly hear if its from the front left or front right I bet its the inside half of the CV shaft that has gone bad. I start with the driver side and do the passenger only if I have to.

I am certain that my problem is not U-joints or diffs because when I turn right the noise stops, even a lane change to the right will stop the noise. That has to mean something at the wheels, bearings or CV shafts.

CV joints will not make a bearing type howling noise. They will make clicking noises on turns or cause vibrations only.

Curious, I didn't know that. I was assuming a bad CV because already replaced the bearing I knew to be bad. Do you think a bearing could still be bad even if it doesn't have any play in it? By that I mean there is not vertical play in the wheel when it is jacked up.

Bearing will not necessarily have play in it even if it is bad. I just replaced my passenger side bearing a few weeks back. The noise sounded like it was the driver's side and it went away when I turned left. Both of those things told me it was driver's. However, I had just replaced the driver's side in September so I went against everything I knew and replaced the passenger side since it had been several years/miles since I replaced that one. It was the passenger side even though it didn't seem like it should have been.

Lesson is that the sound and/or which bearing you "load" to make noise go away did not show the way. Neither one had a bit of play in it either.

I'm betting on it being your passenger side. If you still have the bearing you removed, install it on the passenger side if you don't want to spend the money guessing.

I do still have the bearing... However knowing it is bad I'll probably invest in a new bearing so I only have to do it once. Funny thing to note is that I was so stuck on the sound coming from the front I haven't even checked the rear, so I'll have to do that tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice. I think if the rear has no play in it I'll probably change the other front baring before going to cv shafts.

My 05 Explorer is doing the same. Mine vibrates at upwards of 75mph, before it was aligned, had the ujoints replaced and driveshaft aligned it would vibrate at 65mph +. The grinding under my front ds tire is getting worse. It used to just grind while turning sharp to the right, now I can hear it while driving straight with no turn in the wheel. Is this my bearing going bad? (mine is RWD so no CV joints, 87K miles)

Well guys I'm about to order the passenger bearing. If this doesn't do it then I will be pulling out the front diff and going thru it. This is getting worse and I also am vibrating in the drivers floor at about 70 mph. The vibration comes and goes. The noise gets quiet while turning left and gets louder when turning right. The bearing I did replace was bad as well. I can feel it catching as I spin it. My mpg's are going up as well according to the computer. Haven't calculated by hand yet. I will update as I go along. Good luck to everyone having the same issue. RockAuto has Timken's for ~$115 shipped.

Good luck. I'd be pretty surprised if that doesn't clear up the noise and vibration. Just doesn't sound like a diff problem to me. My front diff went bad and it was nothing like a wheel bearing in sound/symptoms.

Well did the other bearing this morning. All noises are gone. Rides smooth and quiet. Passenger bearing was loose and could really feel it catching while spinning it. I am glad it was not the differential. Still have a vibration but it's gotta be tires. Gonna get those rebalanced. Thanks guys.

My issue was the front passenger wheel bearing too. Replaced it and the noise is gone.

Back