2006 Brake Controller Harness | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Brake Controller Harness

Hi all. Just joined after reading some of the threads on here.

I just purchased a 2006 Explorer Limited 4.6 4x4. It came with the class III/IV towing package. I have been hunting for the brake controller plug under the dash and can't find the stupid thing. I have read the forums and it looks like for the '06 and later, the plug should be under the drivers side. I did find a plug that was zip-tied into a plastic plug that I though was it, but I really can't tell...It is gray (just like the manual has), it has 6 female pin connectors, 4 wires into it. It seems rather small though, for a controller pigtail. Most on here that I have read about seem to be about 1 inch by 3/4 inch. This one is about 1/2 x 1/2...Unfortunately the vehicle did not come with the factory supplied plug to wire into a controller.

I will be buying a Tekonsha P3 next week. I was trying to find the plug to see how easy / hard it will be to install.

Thanks for any info.
Steve

I joined last week. I just picked up a 2006 Explorer XLT 4.6 4x4 which also come with the towing package. I have the factory wiring/plug but not hooked up yet. I haven't yet climbed under to find where it plugs into. I'm also looking at the Tekonsha P3. A pic would be real nice. I'll be following this post since I'm kind of in the same boat.

If you don't mind me asking...how big is the trailer? I'm looking at pulling about 4500lbs. Plus, all have 4 guys in the truck. I'm guess that'll add about 1000 lbs more. Brakes are a must. I'm a little worried about sagging in the rear or bouncing down the road. This is all new 2 me...

I joined last week. I just picked up a 2006 Explorer XLT 4.6 4x4 which also come with the towing package. I have the factory wiring/plug but not hooked up yet. I haven't yet climbed under to find where it plugs into. I'm also looking at the Tekonsha P3. A pic would be real nice. I'll be following this post since I'm kind of in the same boat.

If you don't mind me asking...how big is the trailer? I'm looking at pulling about 4500lbs. Plus, all have 4 guys in the truck. I'm guess that'll add about 1000 lbs more. Brakes are a must. I'm a little worried about sagging in the rear or bouncing down the road. This is all new 2 me...

The brake controller harness is under the dash, just above the parking brake. It is clipped to a dash support. It took someone from Quality Bumper to show me. I searched and searched for the stupid thing. The harness is a gray plug. I mounted the P3 next to the center console.

The trailer that I have weighs about 3600 pounds empty. It has a gross of 5000 pounds, but I never get it that heavy. The best way to handle the sagging is with a weight distribution hitch. It helps take some of the weight off of the rear axle and distributes it to the front.

Any weight over 3500 pounds, brakes are a requirement.

When I get a chance, I will post pics of the setup...

THANKS! I'll have to check under the dash this weekend. I really need to get everything straightened out so when I find a used trailer I can actually pull it home.

3600 lbs empty...wow. I'm looking at a curb weight of 1930lbs with a trailer GVWR of 4400lbs. I really thinking I'll be around 4,000lbs towing. I'm looking for one of these http://www.snoprotrailers.com/Product.asp?CargoTypeID=1&ModelID=3&ProductID=20. Again...thanks for the help!

Back