2006 explorer radiator | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 explorer radiator

Got mine from Radiator.com, Visteon aftermarket, has a lifetime warranty.
More expensive than ebay but considering the warranty I didn't think $190 was to much.
They even delivered it to my work.
6 months and holding.

Don't forget the TSB 09-8-1 pcm reprogram.

Did exactly that - thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Grrrrrr, just had my second one installed. I was curious, does anyone know how much ATF fluid is in the 2006 4.0 radiator? Maybe a quart? Just wondering if it's a normal procedure to add/check transmission fluid ( I had the dealer do both radiators) after installing a radiator?

For me about a pint leaked out. There's plenty of fluid left in the transmission. I lost a pint during the radiator install. And then about a pint when I was checking the ATF level. Took it to a mechanic later, he said the level is still fine.

For me about a pint leaked out. There's plenty of fluid left in the transmission. I lost a pint during the radiator install. And then about a pint when I was checking the ATF level. Took it to a mechanic later, he said the level is still fine.

Cool, thanks for the info.

leaky 2006 explorer radiator

Just found my rad leaking the other day, has there been a permanent fix found yet??

Wondering if some of the veterans and more knowledgable posters in here could give me some direction. Got an '06 Limited and just started having the "superfan" issue a week ago. Through researching on this site I told my local garage guy to check for a radiator leak and sure enough it was leaking in two spots. Replaced the radiator but that has not solved the "superfan" issue. Still going into "superfan" mode but it comes and goes. Fan isn't on and loud consistently. "Superfan" is on about 75% of the time and then just goes away and then it comes back. My question is... What do I do next? Go to the dealer for the PCM update? Replace the fan clutch? Not sure which way to go? Any info. is appreciated.

I would definitely do the PCM reprogram since Ford lists it to be done in the TSB.
Will it cure the superfan? I have no idea. Is it possibly caused by air in the cooling system?

My findings are in warmer to hot weather after sitting (idling optional) and going from a stop and doesn't last long. Mine still does it from time to time and had the rad replaced a couple months ago. I don't really get concerned unless it KEEPS going but normally after about 10MPH it's off.

i have a 2006 explorer xlt with 62,000 miles and i am on radiator #5- and i have contacted ford and the delaer numerous times and they tell me because it is no longer under warrenty they are not going to do anythign for me ... the first one was replaced by the dealer beacuse it was under warrenty (28,000 miles 10/2007)but it went again 3/2009 45,000 miles replaced at my cost - and then again 10/2009 dealer pd to have it replaced because the one in march was under warrenty - but it i just had to have it replaced again and the radiator was under warrenty but i had to pay for labor - every 6 mnths or so it is seeming that the radiator starts leaking - i can' keep paying for it any ideas .... ford insists its is all me they will do nothing - won't pay -- won't take the car back
Has anyone ever told you that Ford had a problem they wouldn'td recall, that is these leaks caused by an electrical discharge, or current present in radiator that eats a hole in the core. Ford garage says they can put an original Motorcraft radiator in, reprogram the computer for the Fans (???) all for 1,000.00 and no granantees it won't come back. They say its an old 2006 problem but with no recall. I say it is a bunch of crap to make money, I just started looking into it, haven't found this type of reference on any Forums yet.

gegg - every part Ford replaces has it's own warranty so even if your car is out of warranty, the replacement part is under warranty. I have no idea what the warranty is, but it should be at least a year.

Thanks for the Info, I hadn't checked with them in depth, I only had one quick converstation in general and the dealer head mech. was a little ****y and quick and kinda made me uneasy about his hands off, best guess diagnosis. That is why I checked around the internet, and this website and am researching this problem finding the "search" for Radiator Electrolysis that Durf put in a thread in December. Before investing that kind of money, warranty or not, I will take all the info. I found and try to find a reason (if this is the case) why there could be Electrolysis going on and try to correct it, If it can be corrected by special grounding, I can get the Motorcraft radiator for 188.00 in Atlanta and replace it myself if I know I have eliminated the stray voltages. Reprogramming the PCM sounds like it is for another problem I read about in this forum for a fan issue. At any rate, from reading thru the threads, it is an issue that may not go away easily and Unless I turn it over the a Ford dealership, take the 1,000. screwing and hope if it returns, it is under warrantee, or being that I don't like nor trust any Dealership anymore, I will try to get to the bottom of it on my Suv at least, eliminate the stray voltages (if present), reground everything that moves, and bug the hell out of Ford Motor co. for all the good it will do and hope for the best, I guess. Thanks for the response.

Got mine from Radiator.com 800-248-8720 , Visteon aftermarket, has a lifetime warranty.
More expensive than ebay but considering the warranty I didn't think $190 was to much.
They even delivered it to my work.
6 months and holding.

Don't forget the TSB 09-8-1 pcm reprogram.

The PCM reprogram is for the radiator problem. TSB 09-8-1

Consider buying a radiator with a lifetime warranty as stated above.

I don't think this has anything to do with electrolysis since the leaks typically occur at the lower tank seam. The radiator core appears to be aluminum and the tank is a thermoset plastic. I don't think your going to get a reaction between metal and plastic.

I completely relate to your frustration and I've only had to replace one radiator. I wouldn't have the vehicle any longer if I was on number three much less the the fifth that your on.

Good luck!!

Thanks for responding, I too find it hard to swallow about Electrolysis, at least in this case, after 4 yrs of manufacture. I do wonder about what the future brings in the Auto industry, even Electrolysis effect doesn't seem something to ignore the thought. With car parts being built all over the world now, and our willingness to let China and other 3rd. world countries make so much of what we use to, the idea isn't all that impossible. How about Sensors and Heater cores for example, if they make things like this out of some inferior metals and puts it in the water stream of an engine, who knows what kind of reaction the heat may do to lousy metals and put that products up and into Aluminum cores of radiators, some kind of Electrochemical reaction could occur, I supose. I don't think we do a whole lot of R and D anymore not to mention Quality checks on what materials and methods are use in this Outsourcing disaster the USA has created. I appreciate your response, I agree, I will get what I may hope to be the best radiator for the price (hadn't failed me with a GM car in past) and this time do all the work myself like I did when I was younger, and double check this electricity theory that I read about.

Just ordered a vistapro radiator (lifetime warranty) $226.

Looks like I'm in the market for a new radiator. How do I deal with the tranny cooler lines? Did you have to disconnect them? I haven't had time to read this whole thread, so any feedback is much appreciated.

Update, already answered my own question. The answer is yes.

I ended up trading my ex after the second radiator developed a leak. Definitely do the lifetime warranty!

let me ask a couple of stupid ?'s. Wouldn't it be a good idea to get the PCM updated even if the radiator hasn't sprung a leak yet? I'm not sure what the software update in the TSB 09-8-1 does, but if the new software reduces the pressure in the system by regulating the water pump better, maybe the stock radiators would last longer. Does anyone know what the update actually does? Are fan speeds directly related to water pressure or does the water pump and fan operate independently? Seems to me that either the plastic radiator tanks are defective or the system pressure is too much. I'm in the pressure camp, because I think there were a couple of guys in this thread that had aftermarket radiators fail also. If all the update does is regulate the fan speeds and has nothing do with the system pressure, I can't see the benefit of having the PCM reflashed.

Well my cars right at 50k, and guess what dealer says I need a new radiator also brought up the pcm update. Im going to get the PCM update and get the radiator replaced by another mechanic. Ride about 5k more miles and then trade this sucker in.

I really loved this SUV, and I only have had it for a year and a half. But I'm not dealing with replacing a radiator every year and a half, ford you have lost a lifelong customer

Here is a copy of the tsb. Make sure you get the pcm reprogrammed while you get the radiator replaced. It contains some cooling system strategy updates.
Printable View (47 KB)
TSB
09-8-1 4.0L COOLANT LEAK - RADIATOR - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 8/8/2006

Publication Date: April 9, 2009

FORD: 2006 Explorer
2007 Explorer Sport Trac
MERCURY: 2006 Mountaineer

ISSUE:
Some 2006 Explorer, Mountaineer and 2007 Explorer Sport Trac vehicles built on or before 8/8/2006 and equipped with a 4.0L engine may experience coolant leaking from the radiator.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Replace the radiator with the updated radiator following Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-03.
NOTE: NOTE: A REVISED FAN STRATEGY IS ALSO AVAILABLE FOR THESE APPLICATIONS

Reprogram the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 58.2 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2008.11 Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
6L2Z-8005-AD Radiator

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
090801A 2007 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L: Replace The Radiator; Reprogram The PCM (Do Not Use With 12650D, 8005A, 8600A, 8616A) 1.8 Hrs.
090801A 2006 Explorer, Mountaineer 4.0L: Replace The Radiator; Reprogram The PCM (Do Not Use With 12650D, 8005A, 8600A, 8616A) 1.9 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
8005 01

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2009 Ford Motor Company

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is a copy of the tsb. Make sure you get the pcm reprogrammed while you get the radiator replaced. It contains some cooling system strategy updates.
Printable View (47 KB)
TSB
09-8-1 4.0L COOLANT LEAK - RADIATOR - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 8/8/2006

Publication Date: April 9, 2009

FORD: 2006 Explorer
2007 Explorer Sport Trac
MERCURY: 2006 Mountaineer

ISSUE:
Some 2006 Explorer, Mountaineer and 2007 Explorer Sport Trac vehicles built on or before 8/8/2006 and equipped with a 4.0L engine may experience coolant leaking from the radiator.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Replace the radiator with the updated radiator following Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-03.
NOTE: NOTE: A REVISED FAN STRATEGY IS ALSO AVAILABLE FOR THESE APPLICATIONS

Reprogram the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 58.2 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2008.11 Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
6L2Z-8005-AD Radiator

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
090801A 2007 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L: Replace The Radiator; Reprogram The PCM (Do Not Use With 12650D, 8005A, 8600A, 8616A) 1.8 Hrs.
090801A 2006 Explorer, Mountaineer 4.0L: Replace The Radiator; Reprogram The PCM (Do Not Use With 12650D, 8005A, 8600A, 8616A) 1.9 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
8005 01

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2009 Ford Motor Company

Yeah I am getting the PCM update, and thats really the only reason I'm going to the dealer to get the work done...new radiator + PCM update + diagnostic = $1042

Ouch...I wanted to get the PCM update from the dealer and then just get an after-market radiator from a less expensive mechanic. But supposedly Ford has tweeked the OEM part, and according to them the problem w/ the radiators has been fixed....?????

I figure I'd bite the bullet this time around just to save myself some time and trouble, but if this happens again I'm getting the aftermarket one, b/c there would really be no difference in them if the problem occurs again. What do you think?

Back