2006 XLT Radiator | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 XLT Radiator

And how long Spectra radiators last?
So far mine has been over two years and 20k miles. Time will tell. If it holds up over time I'll give a good bit of the credit to the 16 psi cap. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My Spectra lasted about 2 years - that would be about 16K miles for me. I think it was actually still under warranty when it started leaking but there is a warranty issue on them. Mine shipped with the instructions that the warranty was void if the radiator was not installed by a 'professional'. I consider myself a professional - but probably not in the sense that they require. I never pursued it because it was a very slight leak that I could deal with that got better when I switched to a 16 pound cap and I was done with Spectra at that point. The radiator I used is supposedly only available in Canada now. I know I can't get one from Amazon or Rockauto.
As an aside - I ponied up today and ordered a Motorcraft from the local dealer - it will be in tomorrow. From everything else I've seen that cost me almost $200 more - long term I hope it is worth it.

Is it any chance that old radiator caps was reused prior to second radiator failure in cases described above?

Is it any chance that old radiator caps was reused prior to second radiator failure in cases described above?
Mine had to, because the first replacement didn't come with a new radiator cap.

If you're referencing me - when I replaced the radiator with the Spectra it got a new cap, thermostat, upper and lower hoses along with a full flush.

Ford released updated PCM cooling fan strategy and radiators leaks fix TSB for 4.0 engines of several production years.

Back