2006 XLT towing a trailer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 XLT towing a trailer

I have a 2006 XLT explorer with a 4.0 engine with the towing package. I am considering buying a camper trailer with a weight of 3600 pounds. Will there be any problems towing the trailer.

Thanks

Dave the newbie :usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

trailer

THe trailer i am looking at has 2 axles with brakes on all 4 wheels, the manual says 5000 pound towing, 10000 pound total weight of towed vehicle and explorer. I am just wondering if anyone else has towed a trailer of this size with a 4.0 engine. How good or bad was the towing?

Thanks

David

I towed my 4800 boat with dual axel and brakes with no problems. Pulling hills takes time and patience. The manual states to never use OD (95 xlt). I do think it contributed to killing my trans early. I would change the trans fluid at regular intervals (30k maybe) and add a trans filter.

As for handling, I never had any complaints.

I've got a large popup with dual axles that, much like what you are talking about. It's stated GVW is 4800lbs, UVW is around 3200lbs, but UVW is never going to be your towing weight always look at GVW for worst case. Chances are you will be riding somewhere around there.

Anyway, I have a 01 Mounty with the SOHC 4.0 and towing package with 4.10 gears. I towed my trailer initially without all the mods that I've added and it was very sluggish, and the tranny fluid was starting to smell a little burned. so here is what I added to make it much more competent. Your ride may be in much better shape, I purposely bought my truck with high mileage so I could have a platform to enhance and build up. So compare the results and make your own decision on your ride.

Shocks - Mine were in not great shape, way too soft for towing so I swapped out all four corners, putting heavy duty Monroe's in the front and air adjust-ables in the back for stability and sway control. The trailer is much more manageable in wind and uneven road conditions. (my popup has surge brakes so I can't use an anti-sway bar)

Transmission - Here is where most of the work was done, I added a transgo shift kit on the heavy duty towing setting, and new EPC solenoid, and re-enforced my solenoid brackets (ford had a problem in my years, yours has been updated in the new tranny). Then added an external filter kit (highly recommended) and another (total of 2) external heavy duty tranny cooler. Then I added a temp gauge to the line coming from the transmission to see what my internal tranny temps are. Also changed out all fluid for full synthetic, oh and added a drain plug to make fluid changes easier. These mods made a huge improvement in tow-ability, shifts are now very firm with no slipping and lag. I recently took a trip to the mountains and could see exactly how well my coolers were working. It is amazing how quickly the temps can come up when climbing a mountain, and I would not tow anything without the extra cooling capacity!! I've had too many tranny problems in the past to mess around with burning up another one.

Engine - the SOHC is a great engine, you really don't need to do too much. Although I may look into testing some CAT back systems and maybe a K&N filter to see if I can get things flowing a little better. All in all the engine works great for towing.

With all the mods I talked about towing my popup is now an enjoyable task, before this the shocks would allow too much sway, and my tranny probably would have not lasted very long.

Now your ride is newer with the newer 5r55w tranny as apposed to the 5r55e in mine. This is a much beefier tranny which to my understanding is much better at handling high tourque situations. However I think it is in your best interest to get the extra cooler, and synthetic fluid. From there you can decide if you need to firm up your shifts with the shift kit.

Final thought, I have notice RV companies love to talk about the UVW, after all they are into selling trailers. Heres the thing, when your going on vacation you will most likely not only have a full load in your truck, but also in the trailer. It is very easy to exceed the total combine weight rating GCW of 10000 lbs and not exceed the GVW or the tow rating. You need to keep an eye on the GCW, maybe find a local scale and have your vehicle weighed with the trailer to see how much room you have to load gear.

Oh and if you've never towed before, give yourself a lot of extra time to get to your destination, keep it at the speed limit, take your time on large hills, and just have a relaxing drive with your wife(and kids?). Stop often to make sure everything is runnig well, feel each hub and note any that seem overly hot, then have them cleaned checked and re-packed. If you get yourself into the mindset that it will take extra time to get to your destination you will not be pushing your tow vehicle (TV) too hard.

Bottom line, with some preparation and testing you will be absolutely fine with that trailer. (whew that was a long way to a short answer <G>)

BTW.. what type of trailer did you get, I have a Jayco Designer series popup, it is the only tandem axle popup I have ever seen. Just curious if it was the same model. Great trailer, kinda heavy, but nice features.

Back