2007 XLT... cold dash... Blend door maybe??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 XLT... cold dash... Blend door maybe???

393clevor

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsfield NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 XLT
Bought the car and loved it, drove for a few days with no problems except for the beer smell. One cold cold morning must have been 19 degrees out I noticed the ride to work was a little chilly..30 miles. I took it for not letting it warm up enough and went about my way..
The next day it was 19 degrees out so I started it early so it was plenty warm. I went out at 7:30am and let it run with all the heaters on 10… full blast front and rear… it ran for 40 minutes!... still froze my ass off. I started getting a real bad pain in my right leg from the cold but it was like no cold air, it was radiating from the dash. I felt the dash around my legs and it was ice cold so was the steering column, back of the steering wheel, top of the dash and my feet were burning… Pass side was normal nice and toasty…

Took it in and was giving the run around… nothing wrong HEAD MECHANIC could not verify the complaint… So out the door they pushed me. Never got a “lets keep it over night so we can road test it when it’s cold out” nope just “it’s the way ford designed it and we can’t fix the design”. I told the chump at the service department that I was an X ASE certified technician and me telling him what was wrong was all the verification he needed. Please fix my new car… Sorry have a nice day …..

So now I have to verify the complaint myself so I am going to video tape the temp reading of the dash while driving in cold weather. I have one of those point and shot thermometers, it records the temperature of any surface you point it at. I already did the vents… with the heater on High and full hot I get 134 degrees at the foot vent and 72 out of the side window vents with it being 35 degrees out… I would think they would be the same or close to it…

Anyways next time I go back to the dealer I will have done my homework…

By the way for anyone reading this I bought my 2007 explorer at a little place in Concord NH right at the end of RT 89…

Just got back from the store... 35degrees out, after running it for a while I took my thermometer and checked the very top of the dash..On the pass side far right it was 90 degrees and just a few inches over the top of the glove box it was 60 degrees. My left leg was 90 and my right leg was 72 … pass side under the dash was 114 and on the drivers side it was 72…

Plus you can feel a cold draft coming from the steering column where the release is for the tilt.

That’s normal I guess….

It really burns my ass is when they don’t take the time to diagnose the problem, that’s the one thing I was well-known for when I worked for Exxon as a tech… verify the complaint… people just don’t make this **** up… drive it …drive it everywhere you go until you can verify the complaint… I know when I worked at Subaru warranty would only pay ½ hour for diagnostic time and then what ever they paid for that particular part to be replaced… so I’m sure they drove it around the block and said “it’s fine nothing wrong with it”

I asked the service writer if they pulled the dash apart to check the actuators or moving doors, he said they can’t verify the complaint so they can’t rip and tear… because someone has to do it for nothing… that’s the biggest problem, it might take 4 hour to find it but they only get .5 hour pay for it… so they take the .5 and tell you your basically crazy and there is nothing wrong…

Have same problem with my 2007 Limited with the automatic climate control. My brother is service manager for Ford. He confirmed that the cold dash and hot floor is characteristic of the automatic control. He said the temp sensor should be in the head rest and not in the dash. We think the heat emitted from ducts in dash cause the temparature sensor to call for cool air to the dash. Talked directly with Ford Techs and they confirmed they know about the problem but don't have a fix. I crank the temp control to max and regulate heat with fan.

Back