2008 Ranger Winch Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 Ranger Winch Questions

B97S

Reaction score
Hi, Guys.

I feel like a bit of a n00b here, bothering you all about this as I'm not a hardcore off-roader.

This is my situation:

I'm a comms tech on a small reserve in the very far north of Alberta, Canada, almost to the NWT. For 4 months of the year it's impossible to get in or out via vehicle... the rest of the year, the roads are kind of ****e but not too bad.

The problem is there are no stones in the road, so stuff turns to mud fast... the the joy is, half the time you hit spots you don't see. And I have to service some fairly remote equipment, so....

A 2008 Ranger Sport seems to have found it's way into my hands. I'd rather have gotten the FX4, but.... gotta work with what I have.

That said, I need a winch mount for it that isn't going to ruin the look of the truck. It's reasonably important to me as I won't be up here forever... and I intend to keep the truck for some time.

However, winch is basically essential here.

I'd PREFER a front mount if one can be found that doesn't look like ****e.... not opposed to a full brushguard assembly either, rear mount if necessary.

But here's the kicker... needs to be something I can do with hand tools.

Sorry to bother you guys with this, I just figured you all know the products well. :)

Cheers!

-Ben

Did you consider a front mounted receiver hitch? They can be very handy, and with a multi-mount winch you could stick in a rear hitch if you needed to pull from the rear. Plus, it can be removed from the vehicle.

Back