Another Stupid Winch Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another Stupid Winch Question

Pearlkobra12

Reaction score
City, State
Northfield, Minnesota
Alright i'm still fairly new to the whole 4wd world. I don't have the money right now to put any serious lift mods ( as much as i want to go rock crawling:mad:). But i still mess around in some pretty muddy areas. I have a 2000 ex sohc. I have gotten myself into some pretty sticky situations where a winch would of been SO nice so i wouldn't of had to get pulled out by another truck. I want to buy a winch but im on a strict budget. I saw 4wheelparts.com has the smittybilt xrc8 for $300. It is much cheaper then ones that compare horsepower/weight wise. Everything else seems to be around $500. My goal would to be to spend maybe $500 if not less on a winch and me making a custom brush guard to mount it to. Any suggestions/comments? THanks guys/gals this site has paid itself back 400 times already. Nathan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Honnestly you have to do what you can if you really need a winch and its not about pride then any old winch should do.... however if you can wait on it like a christmas gift when you were five... then that would be better I would sudjest if you can build your own bush bar your self or for very very cheep start doing that when you can that will keep you busy and add nice detail to your truck for the mean time save up around 1300 and pay good money for a good Warn winch that will last you... I would sudgest the 9.5ti retail for around 1,100 or so no more than 1300 usually plus you might need some accessories. But thats just me... right now I'm doing the same built custom bushbar and light rack for nothing (and its good will be adding pics tonight) and looking to buy that same winch in the fall in time for next winter season so I'll be ready I'm also installing second battery and practically re wiring my whole truck this summer... so I'll have lots of juice!

Has anyone heard when the Smittybult XRC10 10K winch will be available? I am wanting to get one that will work on both my Explorer and my Suburban.

Tim

Id like to see the brush guard and light rack you said you built. Im wondering if I have to do the same. I have a 2005 explorer XLT and I wanted to mount a full brush guard on the front and then a winch, but so far I havent heard any of the universal grille guards support a winch. So I was just curious how you made it workable, thanks!

One thing you shouldn't look for bargain basement prices are for sure the winch.

I've been places with my warn, and like the luxury knowing that it will be reliable for me. Also have a hi-lift as backup though if you are going out alone.

An instance last year I was in the Rocky Mountains and found a stuck CJ in the middle of nowhere on a trail not known by many people. They were wheeling until they got stuck. By the time I showed up they were there for 5 hours already as their "Superwinch 10k" was non-operational, and they were contemplating hiking back 15km to the nearest road for help.

My 2 cents...

-mc

You can always use a front receiver hitch to mount your winch. That way you can remove it, when you are not off roading.

If the winch you get doesn't have an integrated solenoid system, then buy new wires and tuck the solenoids somewhere where water can not get to it. An inoperable solenoid is probably the #1 cause of 'winch failure'. But the downside to moving the solenoids far from the winch is that it is more difficult to move the winch to another vehicle.

What do i mean by an integrated solenoid? Below is a winch with the housing at the top, this is where the solenoids are. This is an integrated system because the solenoids are part of the winch and can not be removed (well not easily):
warn_xd9000i.jpg

On the other hand, below is a winch that doesnt have an integrated solenoid pack, allowing you to move the solenoids (which sit in that box, so unbolt the box):
warn-9500xp-winch.gif

Personally, I prefer the non-integrated units because you can move the solenoids a lot easier. I moved the solenoids on my winch to the center console thing below the dash, which allows me to plug the controller while inside the cab. Without the integrated solenoids sitting on top, you can also tuck the winch in or back further and closer to the radiator, so that it doesnt stick out as far :

solenoid_02.jpg

solenoid_01.jpg

Great idea moving the solenoid into the cab. I know with mine, I just raised it a few more inches and waterproofed it a bit with silocone.

-mc

How hot do the solenoids get?

Depends on how long you run the winch, mine never got hot to the touch after use.

-mc

How hot do the solenoids get?
I guess it doesnt get that hot because the box cover of my solenoid is made of a rubberish plastic (but the back is metal). The whole unit must be able to handle/dissipate enough of the heat because I've melted a battery clamp before (where the winch was drawing power from) from a very sticky winching situation and had no issues with the solenoid box cover.

i need help to mount a lp8500 superwinch

Hey all i got a 92 explorer and i need to mount a lp8500 superwinch.What is the best way to do that . do the jeep bumper fit on my truck. thanks :salute: please help me

Back