2011 Explorer - 1 year later

huskerroo

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 XLT
Hi all,

I've posted a few times on this board (questions & comments) but wanted to review our year of Explorer ownership. We ordered our 2011 XLT and picked it up a year ago already (7/8/2011). It is Kona Blue, 202A with pretty much every option / accessory save a few ('no' to sunroof, 20" wheels, all-weather mats; 'yes' to power liftgate, DVD system, trailer tow pkg, cross bars, BLIS, inflatable seatbelts, cargo shade, 4WD). We don't miss any of the 'no's and have used all of the 'yes' (ex. inflatable portion of seatbelts ;) ) We considered the limited model but the only 3 things we really 'wanted' were the HD Radio, ambient lighting and 110v plug; that wasn't enough to justify the $$ in our book. We did buy under the X-Plan which helped out $$ a good chunk :) We did get the Nvision protectors for all 3 screens and recently added the K&N filter. We have definitely used the 'Utility' in this SUV.

I follow the comments pretty diligently on the board and have experienced some of the frustrations by others...mostly to a lesser degree. I have also learned much and I thank you all for that!!! I'm happy to give any follow-up opinions on anything here.

We've taken many family trips in this first year from our home in the Kansas City metro area. The first major trip was to Yellowstone National Park. We had all 7 vehicle seats filled! We also rented and pulled a 5' x 8' cargo trailer! The vehicle handled very well on such a 'big' trip; even after the incident.

While traveling north in the middle of Wyoming and coming down a steep hill, a pronghorn antelope began running parallel to the driver's side of our convoy. Speed limit was 65 and I was driving all of that, coming down the hill and will the additional weight. Braking of course occurred, but not enough as it turned in front of us. I struck it pretty much in the rib cage with the driver's side headlight and pushed it forward onto the road. It was sliding and we were still braking but approaching it. Luckily it did not roll up under the vehicle. After finally coming to a stop (damn antelope actually got up, ran a while before collapsing) and checking everyone out (all shaken but ok...no airbag deployment), we checked out the Ex. Everyone was distraught about the damage...but I was actually impressed. All damage was 'superficial'; as mentioned the animal didn't go under the car. The driver's fog light was pushed in and the front molding, hood & grill needed to be replaced but structurally the vehicle was sound. Also, there was no loss of fluids. We finished the vacation and drove all the way back home with no problems.

Lots of daily driving and trips back to see family (~ 3 hours away) for the rest of 2011 and early 2012.

We then went down to San Antonio in early 2012. Very uneventful (driving-wise). For this trip we had 6 passengers and did purchase a travel carrier to replace the trailer (shorter trip, nicer weather, needed something a little smaller).

And just returned from a trip to Denver this past weekend after July 4th. Again, 7 passengers and above mentioned travel carrier. Drove all the way to the top of Mt. Evans (14K + feet) feeling very 'sure footed' both up and down. Played with the terrain management system and used the snow mode for 'best' gearing.

Surprisingly I have found that I use the manual setting on longer trips more than I thought I would but that bit of control helps improve efficiency.

After all those adventures, here are the mileage stats for our Explorer: 33K miles and (because we never reset Trip 1) 19.3 MPG!!! I have been very pleased with that for 7-passenger vehicle.

In terms of additional after-market equipment, I think I will add the Aries step bars (will help my little ones load themselves) and perhaps the shark fin. Again, I have read and appreciate the commentary from this board on those decisions. Also will probably need to look into the extended warranty...:D

There's my story! Feel free to comment or question.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Huskerroo, I like seeing a fellow Husker fan here! ;-) I ordered my 2013 XLT about a month ago, and am looking forward to it coming in! Sorry to hear about your accident but glad everyone was fine and the Ex seems to be performing good for you! Thanks for sharing! Makes me even more excited to get mine!

Huskerroo, I like seeing a fellow Husker fan here!

JU, the trip to Yellowstone had a return through Laramie around or about 9/24 last year....first game for my 3 boys, first time NU @ War Memorial stadium. Awesome experience all around :)

GBR

That was different for us playing out there, I believe that Laramie's stadium has a higher elevation than Mile High in Denver. We usually try to catch a couple games a year, and love tailgating Lincoln on game day! GBR!

...I've posted a few times on this board (questions & comments) but wanted to review our year of Explorer ownership...
huskerroo,

I’m really glad you’re all OK after the run in. I appreciate you taking the time to post your story!

...I ordered my 2013 XLT about a month ago, and am looking forward to it coming in!...
I did a quick check on your order and I can see it’s still coming along smoothly, JUtecht!

Cory

Thanks for all the help Cory!! I really appreciate the attentiveness and outstanding service!!

Back