2013 Base PIU non-sync - Want to begin audio upgrades | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Base PIU non-sync - Want to begin audio upgrades

Nibroc99

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'13 PIU Base
Hi all! I'm trying to start upgrading the audio system in my Interceptor with the bare-bones audio system (just wired and enabled an Aux port to begin with, which was a piece of cake luckily), and I want to start off by adding an external amplifier while keeping the factory head unit for now. Forgive me if this is the wrong category to post this question in.

I'm going for quality rather than outright loudness, but I listen to lots of hard rock and EDM pretty loud when I'm on the highway with the windows down, and the factory speaker power isn't cutting it for me - it just doesn't get loud enough, and if I do make it loud enough, it starts clipping out and the audio quality starts to diminish drastically.

The first place I'd like to start is by adding an amplifier to the system, but I want to put in an amplifier that would support a subwoofer output in the future, so I'm looking for advice. I know that to add a subwoofer I'll either need to make a crossover to splice into the mix or (probably more ideal) get a head unit that natively supports subwoofer output. The reason I'd like to keep the standard head unit if at all possible is because I like how it looks and functions so far, to be honest. Any EQ I'm doing is done on my phone, the only exception is that I'm boosting the bass on the head unit but that's it.

I'll add that I'm familiar with the ideas behind everything about sound system upgrades - RMS power vs. max power, making crossovers for tweeters/woofers etc., amps, subs, wiring, you name it - but I've never actually done it, only dreamt about doing it, lol. Now that I have a vehicle that's worth upgrading the sound, I'm ready to dive in and upgrade!

Any recommendations for an amplifier that I'd be able to add in-line with the stock system just to give it some extra oomf but also allowing for future upgrades? Eventually I'll be upgrading the door speakers and like I said adding a subwoofer. I'm not shooting for the stars here, just looking to have a pretty good-sounding system, like the Bose system in my dad's Chevy Impala LTZ.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all! I'm trying to start upgrading the audio system in my Interceptor with the bare-bones audio system (just wired and enabled an Aux port to begin with, which was a piece of cake luckily), and I want to start off by adding an external amplifier while keeping the factory head unit for now. Forgive me if this is the wrong category to post this question in.

I'm going for quality rather than outright loudness, but I listen to lots of hard rock and EDM pretty loud when I'm on the highway with the windows down, and the factory speaker power isn't cutting it for me - it just doesn't get loud enough, and if I do make it loud enough, it starts clipping out and the audio quality starts to diminish drastically.

The first place I'd like to start is by adding an amplifier to the system, but I want to put in an amplifier that would support a subwoofer output in the future, so I'm looking for advice. I know that to add a subwoofer I'll either need to make a crossover to splice into the mix or (probably more ideal) get a head unit that natively supports subwoofer output. The reason I'd like to keep the standard head unit if at all possible is because I like how it looks and functions so far, to be honest. Any EQ I'm doing is done on my phone, the only exception is that I'm boosting the bass on the head unit but that's it.

I'll add that I'm familiar with the ideas behind everything about sound system upgrades - RMS power vs. max power, making crossovers for tweeters/woofers etc., amps, subs, wiring, you name it - but I've never actually done it, only dreamt about doing it, lol. Now that I have a vehicle that's worth upgrading the sound, I'm ready to dive in and upgrade!

Any recommendations for an amplifier that I'd be able to add in-line with the stock system just to give it some extra oomf but also allowing for future upgrades? Eventually I'll be upgrading the door speakers and like I said adding a subwoofer. I'm not shooting for the stars here, just looking to have a pretty good-sounding system, like the Bose system in my dad's Chevy Impala LTZ.

Check out Alpine ilx-w650. You can buy an addition power pack that bolts right on up to it. I’m pretty happy with mine. I don’t have the power pack however. I’ve ordered new door speakers that’ll instead next weekend. If they sound like they need more power I’ll consider getting the power pack.

Now that I know the PIU have pre-wired power connections behind the second row seats I’ve been looking at powered subs.

There are several threads on Audio Upgrades in the Modified subforum that may help.
There are more as well.

Peter

How exactly were you able to wire and enable aux in your 13 PIU? I really want Aux to work but there is scant technical info with part numbers or complete programming info. Very frustrating.

Yes I used search. Lots of questions, very few answers.

I'm not looking to do major audio upgrades (yet) just make my factory radio a little more useful. I swapped the old bare bones ACM with a Sirius enabled unit and used Forscan and IDS to get that working. Again, extremely frustrating with the disjointed info posted, but I will be making a complete How-To based upon what I did.

How exactly were you able to wire and enable aux in your 13 PIU? I really want Aux to work but there is scant technical info with part numbers or complete programming info. Very frustrating.

Yes I used search. Lots of questions, very few answers.

I'm not looking to do major audio upgrades (yet) just make my factory radio a little more useful. I swapped the old bare bones ACM with a Sirius enabled unit and used Forscan and IDS to get that working. Again, extremely frustrating with the disjointed info posted, but I will be making a complete How-To based upon what I did.

So, here is what I did to enable the AUX port (this is what Forscan looked like for me):
_nc_ohc=nCkg50LWea8AX8bIXDZ&_nc_ht=scontent-bos3-1.jpg

In case the photo link doesn't work: For my vehicle, a 2013 Base Police Interceptor Utility without Sync, in FCDIM, it originally said in 7A5-01-01: from 0001 9000 00zz (zz being the checksum number that's automatically created). Change the 9 to a 1. As for the wiring, here's a photo:
_nc_ohc=OcGNkq1RKPwAX8j0wL3&_nc_ht=scontent-bos3-1.jpg

black=negative, blue/white=right channel, solid blue=left channel!

If you have any questions feel free to hit me up! I'm pretty active on here so I'll get back to you pretty quick.

There are several threads on Audio Upgrades in the Modified subforum that may help.
There are more as well.

Peter

Thanks a ton, Peter, I'm not sure how I missed those in my searches. Much obliged!

So, here is what I did to enable the AUX port (this is what Forscan looked like for me):
View attachment 321409
In case the photo link doesn't work: For my vehicle, a 2013 Base Police Interceptor Utility without Sync, in FCDIM, it originally said in 7A5-01-01: from 0001 9000 00zz (zz being the checksum number that's automatically created). Change the 9 to a 1. As for the wiring, here's a photo:
View attachment 321410
black=negative, blue/white=right channel, solid blue=left channel!

If you have any questions feel free to hit me up! I'm pretty active on here so I'll get back to you pretty quick.
Hey a quick question on this. Was that plug in the back for the radio and if not where did you get the right connector? I’ve been trying to find the cable that goes from the radio to the Aux jack so I could wire it to my retail console. but if I just need to add 3 wire to an existing plug then I can run that without buying anything.

Hey a quick question on this. Was that plug in the back for the radio and if not where did you get the right connector? I’ve been trying to find the cable that goes from the radio to the Aux jack so I could wire it to my retail console. but if I just need to add 3 wire to an existing plug then I can run that without buying anything.
Hey! So to add my aux port, I basically shoved wires into the plug on the back of the radio. There was no special connector used. I soldered the wires to the outside of a 1/4" to 1/8" headphone jack converter, and I use that as an aux port basically. Here is a photo of the back of the radio with the wires. The color of the wires you use obviously doesn't matter, but in my photo, the wires correlate to the following: black=negative, blue/white=right, solid blue=left
FB_IMG_1613796306357.jpg

Here is a link to the Facebook post where this is talked about by multiple people including myself; if you're not part of that facebook group I 100% recommend getting on there. I've basically abandoned this forum in favor of facebook groups when it comes to my Ford Police Interceptor Utility. https://m.facebook.com/groups/179979629149209/permalink/1026977151116115/

EDIT: I'm a dummy and didn't scroll up to notice that I already posted that photo I just sent you. My bad. But yeah that connector is just the radio harness. Nothing special added there, it's bone stock aside from the three wires I shoved in the holes and glued in place.

Hey! So to add my aux port, I basically shoved wires into the plug on the back of the radio. There was no special connector used. I soldered the wires to the outside of a 1/4" to 1/8" headphone jack converter, and I use that as an aux port basically. Here is a photo of the back of the radio with the wires. The color of the wires you use obviously doesn't matter, but in my photo, the wires correlate to the following: black=negative, blue/white=right, solid blue=left
View attachment 328246

Here is a link to the Facebook post where this is talked about by multiple people including myself; if you're not part of that facebook group I 100% recommend getting on there. I've basically abandoned this forum in favor of facebook groups when it comes to my Ford Police Interceptor Utility. https://m.facebook.com/groups/179979629149209/permalink/1026977151116115/

EDIT: I'm a dummy and didn't scroll up to notice that I already posted that photo I just sent you. My bad. But yeah that connector is just the radio harness. Nothing special added there, it's bone stock aside from the three wires I shoved in the holes and glued in place.
Thanks that’s really helpful. I haven’t torn my dash apart yet but I think I can add the 3 wires like you and then come down to the factory console harness and make the OEM one work.
Really appreciate the help!

Thanks that’s really helpful. I haven’t torn my dash apart yet but I think I can add the 3 wires like you and then come down to the factory console harness and make the OEM one work.
Really appreciate the help!
Glad to hear! You shouldn't have any issues wiring up to the factory aux port with that method as long as you enable the aux button in FORscan of course. Good luck and feel free to come back with any questions!

Back