2013 Explorer Sport Ordered | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer Sport Ordered

I was told 6 weeks by my dealer. Looks like that is a pipe dream. Oh well good things come to those who wait I guess.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was told 6 weeks by my dealer. Looks like that is a pipe dream. Oh well good things come to those who wait I guess.

It really depends....my sport came in 7 weeks with the holidays. I also ordered an Explorer for my business and it showed up in six weeks. There was an issue with the first one ordered (came in fwd and i had ordered 4wd due to dealer mistake). The reorder showed up 6 weeks later.

That being said, I ordered a lot of vehicles from Ford for my business and I am always told 10-12 weeks. They often come in much sooner and I am a happy camper. Its all about managing expectations. The best dealers are honest and upfront with actual lead times. Dealer allocation also makes a difference.

In my business, our practice is to always quote longer lead times than required. It serves a few purposes. One, we consistently beat them so the longer lead times keep my customers happy as we exceed their expectations. It also gives us some fudge room if something comes up. Also keep in mind these are built in Illinois....depending where you are will dictate the method of transit to you and the time it takes to get there.

The waiting stinks....but I think you will love the vehicle once it arrives.

Mine has been sitting at train hub 50 miles away from my house, since Monday. A truck delivered vehicles to my dealer, my vehicle was not on that delivery. I hope these aren't monthly deliveries. Kinda been screwing up my plans, dealer has been saying maybe Wednesday night Thursday night or Friday night, said they'd call me by 4 if it came in. Crystal said Friday, I hope she is correct. So close yet so far away.

We just heard the same BS excuse. We are 13 weeks in and no end in sight. I'm beyond ticked and ready to burn the furniture.

Just heard from the dealer that my sport is delayed. They said a part is on back order. Not sure what that means, but new estimate is next week.

Anyone else being told a part is on backorder?

Hey folks!

Waiting is the hardest part of this process, but I promise you that it's worth it. :D

Just a reminder that in addition to reaching out to me or your sales rep for updates, you can always contact our Customer Relationship Center for additional assistance. They can be reached at 1-800-392-3673.

If you have any questions, just let me know!

Crystal

Congrats to all those who received their Sports in less than four months. Thats the amount of time that will have passed by the time we take delivery of ours. I kid you not. Again, regardless of dealer allotment, Ford has left a customer waiting for 14 weeks now. Communication has been so vague in the last month you would think we were ordering from the CIA. No one knows anything 'specific' and the date keeps changing. Is there a pissed off sarcasm font on this forum?

Congrats to all those who received their Sports in less than four months. Thats the amount of time that will have passed by the time we take delivery of ours. I kid you not. Again, regardless of dealer allotment, Ford has left a customer waiting for 14 weeks now. Communication has been so vague in the last month you would think we were ordering from the CIA. No one knows anything 'specific' and the date keeps changing. Is there a pissed off sarcasm font on this forum?

I hear ya. I'm not as long as you yet (11 weeks). Still no build date or ETA.

Eddie

I got to the dealership, told the fleet manager I was here to pick up my white explorer sport, he went and got it and there pulls up this white explorer with a silver grill. He opens the door, and it has tan interior, not black. there's a note on the window that says sold. When he opened the door, I said there has been a mistake I ordered the sport, he said yeah, and points to the car (as if it is a sport) I said I noticed right away the grill isn't black, he looked back, and apologized profusely, said there were two white one's that were both being sold that day and he grabbed the wrong one. I then got nervous that he was going to find out that my sport sold, then he pulled up in my sport, just as ordered. It was comical afterwards. Signed the paper work took it home and surprised my wife and have put 300 miles on it since Saturday.
Not sure how to post picture

My Sport was waiting at the dealership when they came in this morning! I have the installer going to the dealership to apply the 3m clear paint film tomorrow. I will be taking the vehicle home afterwards. The summer tire on it sure looks aggressive!
On a side note, I contacted Auto Meter about a gauge pod for the Explorer. (I would like a boost/vacuum gauge) They responded back and said they have had a few requests and, if more people ask for it that they would make a solution for our vehicles. I ask anyone that has an interest in one, please visit their website and send them a E-mail.

I hear ya. I'm not as long as you yet (11 weeks). Still no build date or ETA.

Eddie

Sounds like your dealer either didn't really order it, or they don't have an allocation for the system to accept it. If they had an allocation it would have been scheduled within a couple weeks, a month tops.

Sounds like your dealer either didn't really order it, or they don't have an allocation for the system to accept it. If they had an allocation it would have been scheduled within a couple weeks, a month tops.

A lot of people waited a very long time for their Sports. My order went in on Nov 30, 2012 and came in on feb 24. So about 3 months. I had received the vin about 2-3 weeks ago. FordCustSrvc had checked to make sure it was put into the system on Nov 30 and it was. Have a good one.

...I then got nervous that he was going to find out that my sport sold, then he pulled up in my sport, just as ordered. It was comical afterwards. Signed the paper work took it home and surprised my wife and have put 300 miles on it since Saturday...

Wow, Explorer4thewife, my heart almost stopped reading your story! I'm glad to hear that everything worked out. I'm sure your wife loves it as much as you do. :D

Crystal

My Sport was waiting at the dealership when they came in this morning! I have the installer going to the dealership to apply the 3m clear paint film tomorrow. I will be taking the vehicle home afterwards. The summer tire on it sure looks aggressive!...

Congratulations on bringing your Sport home, AdamLeathers!

...FordCustSrvc had checked to make sure it was put into the system on Nov 30 and it was. Have a good one.

I'm always happy to help! :thumbsup:

Crystal

About to start 15 weeks. Latest update informed us that our Sport was built a couple of weeks ago. It's sitting in Chicago in a lot with a couple hundred other Explorers. However, there is an 'unspecified' problem and Ford is attempting to avoid a "recall." We were given no idea as to how long the inspections or repairs will take and our dealer and Regional rep can't tell us anything more. Any suggestions or recommendations from the forum on price concessions? The dealer blames Ford for the delay - which I understand, and Ford basically says 'shut up and wait'. If we were interested in another vehicle I swear I would have bought it weeks ago. This experience has really soured my opinion of Ford and made me question the idea of spending $50k+ with them. So disgusted...

Sorry Ice that ( for a loss of other words) really sucks. What were the options you orderd? It would seem as if their was some kind of hiccup with yours that everybody is kinda covering up. I think it started with your dealer having low priority. I do think the vehicle is worth it, I do love driving my wife's! Were you ever able to test drive one? I never did til when I drove it off the lot.

About to start 15 weeks. Latest update informed us that our Sport was built a couple of weeks ago. It's sitting in Chicago in a lot with a couple hundred other Explorers...

Hi Iceman4ever98,

I was concerned when I read your message so I decided to check on your Explorer. You have some good news waiting for you in your inbox. :)

Crystal

That sucks Iceman. Ours took 11 weeks and it was torture waiting. Your situation seems especially frustrating because you have no real ETA at this point. Is there any way your dealer can find one with the specs you want at another dealer and make a deal to get it for you?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To sum up a few questions from the group - we did test drive a Sport before ordering. I knew about and researched this vehicle for close to a year before they launched in Oct. We had a dealer contact us when the first one hit their lot, but it was a base Sport and the wrong color. When we ordered in late Nov, we 'checked' every option except the adaptive cruise control. We have small children, so we even went with the dual DVD headrests. The bottom line is this - I had huge respect for Ford for not taking a tax payer bailout. Even though I already drove American vehicles, that fact coupled with the Sport's features convinced me to support them with my hard earned dollars. With that said, this experience has been FUBAR and despite Crystal's news this morning, I'm just emotionally drained after four months of waiting - even longer when you consider the build up to launch. Crystal, you're very sweet and helpful, but I'll believe it when I have the keys in hand.

Back