2013 Sport versus Limited (need help) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Sport versus Limited (need help)

Jasegun

Reaction score
City, State
Ft. Myers, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Expedition
This forum has been a great resource in helping me make decision between a 2013 fully loaded Limited or Sport. I was initially very confused on the options, but things have been clarified to some degree in reading the 2013 Sport threads.

I am leaning towards a fully loaded Sport (White Platinum) and in fact it is on order. I have had the opportunity to see and drive a Limited but not a Sport. I would like some clarification if possible on the following with regard to the Sport versus Limited as I still have the option of a fully loaded Limited (Note I love the look and performance aspects of the Sport but I want technology and luxury):

Sport Seating/Charcoal Black Interior: Is the quality and color of the "Charcoal Black Perforated Leather" that comes with the Sport identical to the Charcoal Black "luxury leather" that is an option on the Limited? In other words, are the two charcoal black interiors exactly the same? I would think so but wan tto make certain that the Limited is not somehow more "luxurious" seating in terms of the leather or seat design/comfort.

Ambient Lighting: Can I expect the ambient lighting on the Sport to be identical to the Limited in terms of the areas of lighting, colors etc? I believe this is identical but want to make absolutely certain because I like the ambient lighting.

HID Headlights: I know the Sport does not come with HID headlights. I drove a Limited at night and loved the HID. I have seen threads with various opinions on how to install HID. The money for the parts and install is not an issue. Assuming i get good feedback, I want to order the parts and have the HID taken care of at the dealership before I leave. i just want to make certain that the modification will cause the lights to function identical (or nearly identical) to the HID on the Limited. I have seen some threads that suggest its just a bulb change but others indicate more is necessary. In your opinion, can this be accomplished with HID almost as if it was factory HID (as in the Limited?). If so, what vendor would you recommend to get it right? Finally (and I have not seen an absolute answer to this question), will the install of HID at all affect the way the lights on the Sport have the "black out" look?

I like a luxury SUV with all of the options . . . I can live without Park Assist, Power Fold third row, lane keeping assist, heating steering wheel, rain sensing wipers and auto high beams as long as the Sport on the inside is otherwise identical to the Limited in terms of technology, luxury, look and feel. Also, I need to have some level of comfort that te HID situation can be worked out, which seems to be the case in reading the most recent threads.

Sorry for the long thread but this is important - thanks!

Jason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can speak to this. I have a Ltd and Sport. The Ltd is fully loaded. My sport has all the add ons available. I like not having rain sensing wipers. I never use park assist. Love not having the power third row. Manual is actually faster and no accidental button pushes. The sport rides better and is waaaaaayyyyy more fun to drive. The feel is alot better and there is no difference in the interior feel. Buy the Sport.

Oh. I'm upgrading my Headlamps. From what I can tell it won't be that far off Factory.

Seating is the same. Lighting is the same.

As far as tech goes, the Sport has adaptive cruise. All I care about. Never use the other crap much. Sensing wipers are a pain. I might have used Park assist twice in 2 years.

You may want to ask your dealer about swapping the HIDs for you. I ordered a Sport and wanted HIDs and my dealer said they'd swap them out for me for $265. I asked the salesguy how he was able to do it so cheaply and he said they were just making sure I was taken care of, but now I'm worried they're doing some cheap thing so I need to get clarification that they are the Ford HIDs that are on the Limited. Whatever happens with me, my point is just that you might be able to work out a deal with your dealer. Thanks for asking all of your questions -- all questions I had wondered before I ordered my Sport.

You may want to ask your dealer about swapping the HIDs for you. I ordered a Sport and wanted HIDs and my dealer said they'd swap them out for me for $265. I asked the salesguy how he was able to do it so cheaply and he said they were just making sure I was taken care of, but now I'm worried they're doing some cheap thing so I need to get clarification that they are the Ford HIDs that are on the Limited. Whatever happens with me, my point is just that you might be able to work out a deal with your dealer. Thanks for asking all of your questions -- all questions I had wondered before I ordered my Sport.

I would prefer the dealer handle, and he is a friend of mine, but to be honest, the sales are low information when it comes to these details . . . I have not ruled out dealer as an option if it can be done quickly and correctly. I envision me ordering the parts, then the dealer or other installer doing the install at the dealer - still curious if HID mod has any impact on the blacked out look of the projector lens

Swap out lights? It's not the Ford HID lights for that price. Make sure you find out what lights they are putting in first. The OEMs are over 2 grand. My dealer quoted me $2550 for the HID assembly.

Still seems not be a solid answer on a good HID solution if you get the Sport . . . Apparently the Ford OEM HID asse,bly is for the 2013 Explorer . . . you pay $2000 plus, but you would also lose the black out look because you are replacing the entire assembly. Other posts are conflicting . . . I spoke with the guy at Cool Bulbs and he says all you have to do is buy the builds and replace them . . If I do that, will the functionality be the same? What about the so called "harness" and "balast" - geez in might be easier to buy the Limited and buy the black out grill and sport rims . . any input on HID solutions specifically very much appreciated

Get the Sport and get this HID kit: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=3956

It's good quality.

You have projector lights in the Sport black housings - that's the important part. You will have a proper cut off, but it proabably could be improved with better optics. I've not had the time to confirm if the optics (lens) is different or not on the HID projectors vs. non-HID projectors.

Either way, it will still be MUCH better than putting HID's in a standard reflective housing.

Get the Sport and get this HID kit: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=3956

It's good quality.

You have projector lights in the Sport black housings - that's the important part. You will have a proper cut off, but it proabably could be improved with better optics. I've not had the time to confirm if the optics (lens) is different or not on the HID projectors vs. non-HID projectors.

Either way, it will still be MUCH better than putting HID's in a standard reflective housing.

Do you have this kit in your sport? I'm looking into getting this kit myself. Does the explorer need the can-bus system? Also, How do the high beams work with the sport and this kit?

Thanks.

I can speak to this. I have a Ltd and Sport. The Ltd is fully loaded. My sport has all the add ons available. I like not having rain sensing wipers. I never use park assist. Love not having the power third row. Manual is actually faster and no accidental button pushes. The sport rides better and is waaaaaayyyyy more fun to drive. The feel is alot better and there is no difference in the interior feel. Buy the Sport.

I agree. I have the same Sport. Love it!

NO need for can-bus. The high beams work with this kit, not sure how, but they do. The 9005 is a single filament bulb, so I assume the Explorer has a BiHalogen projector. Or the projector mechanically changes to create a high beam - not the bulb.

NO, I do not have a HID kit yet. I just got my Sport and I'm trying to ward off the mod bug. I accidently found this today (http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/mb445mail.html) and considering Hennessey is oh, 30 minutes from my house and I have a friend that works there....I might be in trouble.

This forum has been a great resource in helping me make decision between a 2013 fully loaded Limited or Sport. I was initially very confused on the options, but things have been clarified to some degree in reading the 2013 Sport threads.

I am leaning towards a fully loaded Sport (White Platinum) and in fact it is on order...

Hi Jason,

It looks like people have chimed in and answered your questions; this is a great community of people who are willing to help out their fellow Explorer enthusiasts. :thumbsup:

If you decide to change your order, I encourage you to get in touch with your sales rep as soon as possible. Let us know which direction you end up going; I'm happy to continue giving you status updates either way! :)

Crystal

I'll add that when I was shopping for my Sport I was highly disappointed to find that factory HID's where not available. So much so, I considered waiting for the rollout of the 2014 Explorer Sport.
From personally experience with aftermarket HID (On my F150 Lightning) they are junk. While they light up the road fine, you will be blinding on coming traffic. And forget the "HID like" bulbs

you may want to ask your dealer about swapping the hids for you. I ordered a sport and wanted hids and my dealer said they'd swap them out for me for $265. .

lol............not

I just installed Sylvania Silverstars in my Sport. It was a simple swap and will give a similar HID look/result.

I just installed Sylvania Silverstars in my Sport. It was a simple swap and will give a similar HID look/result.

10-4 on the Silverstars
Have them in my 02 EB Explorer and my 04Lightning

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back