2013 versus 2011 Explorer Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 versus 2011 Explorer Questions

mwoods269

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Limited
Hello All,

It's been some time since I ordered my 2011 XLT. I've since traded it for a 2012 Toyota Highlander because of all the issues I had with it. A-pillars rattle, body alignment issues, door panel to dashboard alignment, sync sucking, etc. With that said I never really liked the Highlander mostly for it's ride and looks so I am thinking of going back to the 2013 Explorer Limited or Sport.

Questions:

1) Do the front interior door panels actually align with the dashboard now? Anyone have any pictures?

2) Do they still install those crappy plastic pop rivets to fix the front lower bumper thingy?

3) How is sync in the 2013? Still crappy like 2011 was?

4) Body alignment issues?

5) a-pillar issues?

I am sure I will think of others....

Thanks,
Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello All,

It's been some time since I ordered my 2011 XLT. I've since traded it for a 2012 Toyota Highlander because of all the issues I had with it. A-pillars rattle, body alignment issues, door panel to dashboard alignment, sync sucking, etc. With that said I never really liked the Highlander mostly for it's ride and looks so I am thinking of going back to the 2013 Explorer Limited or Sport.

Questions:

1) Do the front interior door panels actually align with the dashboard now? Anyone have any pictures?

2) Do they still install those crappy plastic pop rivets to fix the front lower bumper thingy?

3) How is sync in the 2013? Still crappy like 2011 was?

4) Body alignment issues?

5) a-pillar issues?

I am sure I will think of others....

Thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike. I'm surprised with your statement that you didn't like the ride in the Highlander. I had 3 of them with the last one being an '09 Ltd. I thought the ride was a bit smoother than the 2011 Ex I have.
I don't have a 2013 so I can't really comment on them. As for the plastic pop rivets, I'm not sure what the issue is there. The only time I ever really see them is when I'm washing the vehicle. I don't think there is much in the way of another fastening option. As for the SYNC/MFT, mine has been virtually trouble free. No issue with it really.
Body panel alignment is a common problem on many vehicles if you look closely. I have no issues with mine.
The most common complaint about the 2013 models seems to be fan noise. Many members have had to get the fan behind that small dash grill replaced. Some more than once. For some reason that seems to be a 2013 problem only. It is part of the cabin temperature sensing system.
I'm sure that there are members here with 2013's that will be able to comment as owners but I would also suggest that you take a tour of some of the dealer lots in your area, if that is feasible, and check them out for yourself.
Good luck.

Peter

Thanks for your comments

Regarding the pop rivets.....When you bought the truck there were no pop rivets required and therefore not part of your expectation of the vehicle. Ford then determines their engineering is off on the fastening method and decides the easy /cheapest fix is to pop rivet it in place. Take a look around and you won't find the 2013 Explorer with pop rivets any where or any other new vehicles. Imagine if their fix to the a-pillar cover falling off were pop rivets?

The point is that some folks are more detailed oriented or **** if you will and don't like duck tape fixes on a $40k new car. As for you not having issues with your SYNC/MFT I would venture to say you probably don't use all of the features.

I appreciate the thoughts!

Why ask the questions if you are just going to come on here and flame someone who answers them. Here's your answer.

Yes they have fixed all the crappy things that were messed up on the 11.

However, you should go buy a Bentley. Because you will never be happy with a vehicle that is being made by Ford. Plain and simple. I had MFT in my 11 and I didn't experience difficulty like some of the others, and yes, I did use ALL the features. Land Rover just came out with a new vehicle. It starts at 82,000 Dollars. No pop rivets in that one I'm sure. I was actually happy they did someting to keep the valance from coming off. Doesn't look all that bad either. Certainly not an eye sore and it serves it's purpose. They didn't use rivets to hold the A pilllar on. The fixed it another way. No noise coming from them now. One of the quietest vehicles I have ever driven in. To be honest, for the amount of money I paid for it, comparing it to other vehicles of the trim level, I'd buy it again in a heart beat. I know I sound like a Fan Boi, but you asked the questions. He gave you answers. Not everyone experienced problems like others. This site has a small population of owners.... which only find this place because they were having problems ( you're probably one of them).

Regarding the pop rivets.....When you bought the truck there were no pop rivets required and therefore not part of your expectation of the vehicle. Ford then determines their engineering is off on the fastening method and decides the easy /cheapest fix is to pop rivet it in place. Take a look around and you won't find the 2013 Explorer with pop rivets any where or any other new vehicles. Imagine if their fix to the a-pillar cover falling off were pop rivets?

The point is that some folks are more detailed oriented or **** if you will and don't like duck tape fixes on a $40k new car. As for you not having issues with your SYNC/MFT I would venture to say you probably don't use all of the features.

I appreciate the thoughts!
You are correct, no pop rivets on mine. I guess that is an indication of how much attention I pay to them. They aren't that visible in the first place, black on black.
As for saying I don't use all of the MFT features, you are somewhat correct. Another member posted that same reasoning in the following thread and was quickly corrected by many members;

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380886

Good luck.

Peter

Ok

Stating my opinion personal experience followed by thanking him for his comments/thoughts isn't really flaming pal. Heard of trolling? It was actually an adult discussion until you jumped in defending something that wasn't pointed at you. If the person takes offense I will apologize as I don't mean it personally.

Happy that my front valance no longer falls off......yeah OK I will give you that. Happy that my new vehicle now has some pop rivets holding it on that are visible externally .....not so much.

I am simply trying to determine if the frustrations I had initially are still around prior to buying.

Oh sorry. I didn't think I was being rude. My apologies. I just said that the vehicle was not for an **** person. That higher end vehicles would be more suited to someone of your tastes. Now that I read it I apologize for the way it came off. Like I said I was just trying to point out that someone with **** taste for vehicles probably wouldn't be happy with a vehicle such as the Ford Explorer. There are always going to be issues. Sorry for my little rant. Peace.

Oh, my valance never fell off. I was careful not to drive a vehicle with that low of a clearance in to something that would be higher and cause damage.

Yeah ....like the highway wind. Get a life fanboy.

So I traded the 2012 Toyota Highlander in today.

2013 Explorer Limited 301a Black with black interior
Dual panel moon roof
20" aluminum wheels
2nd row bucket seats with console
All weather floor mats

Now I am driving a 2013 Ford Expedition with 30miles on it until my Explorer arrives. The dealer is in MD and I am in PA 55 miles away so they must be pretty sure this Explorer comes in this week.

Anyone around that can help me figure out when the explorer comes in?

Looks like I've been blocked on the Ford Explorer Facebook page back from 2011 when I posted nothing but issues.......

Dual panel moon roof
20" aluminum wheels
All weather floor mats

Now I am driving a 2013 Ford Expedition with 30miles on it until my Explorer arrives. The dealer is in MD and I am in PA 55 miles away so they must be pretty sure this Explorer comes in this week.

Anyone around that can help me figure out when the explorer comes in?

Looks like I've been blocked on the Ford Explorer Facebook page back from 2011 when I posted nothing but issues.......
Looks like it was built on March 13th. Delivery is another matter. I would guess anywhere from 7 - 10 days. I removed your VIN from my response and suggest you edit your post and remove it as well. Just for security purposes.
You can view your window sticker by using this link on How to Find Your Window Sticker;

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308458

Peter

Thanks. Security issue for posting VIN? How so? You can walk a parking lot and see every VIN through the window. Just asking.

Thanks. Security issue for posting VIN? How so? You can walk a parking lot and see every VIN through the window. Just asking.
I was in a rush (hockey practice) when I replied originally. It is more of a privacy issue I guess than a security one. The same reason many members on here obscure the license plate when posting pictures. Unscrupulous people who 'troll' the Internet for various reasons could use the information to track down your name and address.

Peter

Dual panel moon roof
20" aluminum wheels
All weather floor mats

Now I am driving a 2013 Ford Expedition with 30miles on it until my Explorer arrives. The dealer is in MD and I am in PA 55 miles away so they must be pretty sure this Explorer comes in this week...

Congratulations on ordering your Explorer, mwoods269! I'm sure that Expedition will be good company for you until your Explorer arrives. I've already been in touch with you via PM; be sure to let me know if you have any other questions!

Crystal

Back