2014 Ford explorer low oil pressure issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Ford explorer low oil pressure issues

dluthuangj

Reaction score
City, State
Peachtree City
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT
Hi, I have a 2014 Ford explorer XLT 3.5 L. Three months ago, the low oil pressure warning light was on when I was driving and the engine stalled. I pulled over and restart the engine after 1 min. Everything was fine and the low pressure light was off. I drove it home without any problem. The engine oil level and conditions were both fine. So I didn't do anything but kept an eye on the vehicle. Last week, this symptom appeared again. After I restarted the car, everything was back to normal. Anyone had this experience?

I doubt the oil pressure sensor causes the problem. I tried to replace it on my own but it is hard to disconnect the switch connector on the sensor due to the tiny space around the sensor. An auto shop asks about $400 to replace the sensor because they said the oil cooler needs to be removed to have access to the sensor. I watched some videos on youtube about replacing the sensor on 2013 or 2015 ford explorer. I didn't see the oil cooler around the sensor and their method doesn't work on mine. Is there anyone can replace the sensor without removing the oil cooler on 2014 ford explorer?

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is no factory installed oil cooler on the Explorer. The sensor is located directly behind the oil filter which will need to be removed. It sounds like that shop is not familiar with the Explorer and just gave you a random quote.

There is no factory installed oil cooler on the Explorer. The sensor is located directly behind the oil filter which will need to be removed. It sounds like that shop is not familiar with the Explorer and just gave you a random quote.

Thank you, mguy13sport. greatly appreciate your reply. The video you posted is a 2016 Ford Explorer Sport with the 3.5L EcoBoost motor. I checked my explorer and did see a metal box above the oil filter. It looks like it is an engine oil cooler in the picture.
1682426221450.png

Thank you, mguy13sport. greatly appreciate your reply. The video you posted is a 2016 Ford Explorer Sport with the 3.5L EcoBoost motor. I checked my explorer and did see a metal box above the oil filter. It looks like it is an engine oil cooler in the picture.
View attachment 441424
That is the engine oil cooler as shown on the parts site. Original 2009-2019 Ford Oil Cooler 8A8Z-6A642-A | Levittown Ford Parts
There is an Oli Pressure Sending Unit; Original 1997-2020 Ford Oil Pressure Sending Unit GC3Z-9278-B | Levittown Ford Parts
I don't know if that might be the issue. I was unable to find an OIl Pressure Sensor, at least not by that name.

Peter

That is the engine oil cooler as shown on the parts site. Original 2009-2019 Ford Oil Cooler 8A8Z-6A642-A | Levittown Ford Parts
There is an Oli Pressure Sending Unit; Original 1997-2020 Ford Oil Pressure Sending Unit GC3Z-9278-B | Levittown Ford Parts
I don't know if that might be the issue. I was unable to find an OIl Pressure Sensor, at least not by that name.

Peter
Thank you peterk9. The oil pressure sending unit you posted is the oil pressure sensor. According to the info I found online, seems that not all explorers are equipped with an engine oil cooler.

Thank you peterk9. The oil pressure sending unit you posted is the oil pressure sensor. According to the info I found online, seems that not all explorers are equipped with an engine oil cooler.
When checking out the Vehicle Fitment Guide on the Oil Cooler, it seems all 5th gen Explorers have them.

Peter

My car does not have an oil cooler and looks exactly like the video I posted. Ive also never seen an NA 3.5 with an oil cooler but I also live in the cold climate so its possible they aren't installed on vehicles sold here.

This video shows how to do the oil cooler at the 12 minute mark:

Turns out this is something I'm not familiar with :)

Good luck with the repair

Hello all,

New to thread, looking for some thoughts. I have a 2014 Explorer Limited and low oil pressure alarm came on. Quick back story, this happen a few months ago and I changed out my pressure sensor as it blew threw! Since then no issues no alarms. However my water pump was leaking and just got that replaced today!! Explore has new coolant and oil, drove for about 45 minutes and my low oil pressure light comes on. Checked levels and all is good. Called the shop and they assured me they put the right amount of oil! Any thoughts??

Hello all,

New to thread, looking for some thoughts. I have a 2014 Explorer Limited and low oil pressure alarm came on. Quick back story, this happen a few months ago and I changed out my pressure sensor as it blew threw! Since then no issues no alarms. However my water pump was leaking and just got that replaced today!! Explore has new coolant and oil, drove for about 45 minutes and my low oil pressure light comes on. Checked levels and all is good. Called the shop and they assured me they put the right amount of oil! Any thoughts??
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Did anyone check the condition of the oil before it was replaced? It's possible that some coolant could have entered the engine. You can always check the oil level yourself to see if it is low or not. Did they also replace the timing chain and components while they were in there? Hopefully, the leak did not damage the engine.
Let's hope it isn't this; Water pump failure leads to dead engine

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Did anyone check the condition of the oil before it was replaced? It's possible that some coolant could have entered the engine. You can always check the oil level yourself to see if it is low or not. Did they also replace the timing chain and components while they were in there? Hopefully, the leak did not damage the engine.
Let's hope it isn't this; Water pump failure leads to dead engine

Peter
Peter,

Thanks for the quick repose! Ya I checked it before I took it to the shop and the shop did as well. No sign of mixture of coolant. They did replace the chain and components as well. Unless my oil pressure sensor went bad after a couple weeks I am at a loss. The alarm hasn’t come back on since yesterday, and did some driving this morning as well. Checked the oil which looked good , had to add some coolant to reservoir as it was a bit low.

IMG_5729.png

I'd just keep an eye on it and see if the warning stays OFF. Good luck.

Peter

Hello all,

Hi Jroseusn,

Did you try to check any error codes by OBD-II? If you didn't find any codes, you may want to have a look at the battery to see if there is any poor connection there.

For my case, it turned out the low oil pressure and engine stall issue is due to poor connection at the positive terminal of battery. There is a red cap on the positive terminal of battery and the connection under that red cap was fine. But the main terminal wire is split to three wires. One of the wires goes to the fuse box in the engine bay. That wire had a loosen connection to the battery and under some vibration conditions, it may be disconnected and reconnected to battery quickly which causes the issues. Because it was due to the disconnection of battery, I didn't get error codes.

hope this helps.

Jian

Hi Jroseusn,

Did you try to check any error codes by OBD-II? If you didn't find any codes, you may want to have a look at the battery to see if there is any poor connection there.

For my case, it turned out the low oil pressure and engine stall issue is due to poor connection at the positive terminal of battery. There is a red cap on the positive terminal of battery and the connection under that red cap was fine. But the main terminal wire is split to three wires. One of the wires goes to the fuse box in the engine bay. That wire had a loosen connection to the battery and under some vibration conditions, it may be disconnected and reconnected to battery quickly which causes the issues. Because it was due to the disconnection of battery, I didn't get error codes.

hope this helps.

Jian
Juan,

Thanks for the idea, I will check the battery connections. Did have any codes to run unfortunately. I have been driving for the last couple days and no alarm yet. Will get back after checking battery, thanks again.

Back