2015 Explorer crazy Transmission issue. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 Explorer crazy Transmission issue.

Mackus84

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeland, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
I wish this were easier to explain, but I'm having an issue with my 2015 Explorer. Yesterday I was driving I was in drive, I popped it down to manual and it was in manual 5 and I was rolling to a stop so I downshifted to second and gave it a healthy amount of throttle, and popped it back into drive. Within a few seconds car started jerking and slipping and all sorts of crazy stuff luckily I was right by the house so I limped it home slowly.
Connected to Forscan to check some live data to send to my brother in Tennessee who is a Ford Senior Master Tech. It seems like it's popping out of gear. However, when viewing live Data when I'm in drive, it's reading on my laptop that I'm in manual mode. My shift indicator is in drive, however it states im in manual mode. When Im in drive once It gets to around 5th gear is when it seems like its acting up, however OSs And TSS remain normal. If im in drive and pop into manual mode, the indicator disappears completely and U cannot use my manual thumb shift.
NOW, If I restart the vehicle and BEGIN in manual mode, the indicator is there, and everything seems normal until the higher gears then without me even touching the thumb shift, the gears start to jump around. They will flip flop back and forth between 5th and 6th, once even dropped down to neutral than 2nd and straight back to 6th while I have not touched the shifter at all. If I pop it into drive after that, the indicator shows back up, but on the laptop, the live data remains in manual mode and stays in manual 1 and wont allow me to switch out of it. Im getting frustrated as we cannot get this issue figured out. I have video but its too large to upload. All in all, to me it seems like its stuck in manual mode at the transmission.

thats interesting. never heard of this before! hopefully you hear back shortly

My Explorer does this whenever I drive in D mode rather than in M mode. I usually drive around town in manual mode as I have more control over shifts, and the computer has learned the way I drive and in drive mode, the shifts are violent, especially in higher gears such as 5th and 6th.

Back