• Register Today It's free!

2015 Explorer First Road Trip

jgarko

Reaction score
City, State
Seminole, Fl.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 explorer limited
New 2015 Explorer owner.. Took my first major road trip. A 2500 mile trip to Ohio. The Ford ran great. Averaged 23.9 miles per gallon. 70+ mph most travel. What a smooth ride. I just love my Ford!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same here - the car was terrific. Just got back from vacation in which the Explorer was loaded with 3 bikes, cargo box, golf bag and luggage/food stuff. The house we rented was on a private dirt road that was 3.5 miles. Also got to load 7 adults (used the 3rd row seat for the first time) when we went out to dinner - I thought the car would feel very heavy on the dirt road but it was fine.

We used a new Thule Aero Blade rack for one bike and the cargo box, and Thule T2 hitch rack for 2 more bikes. Despite all the stuff on the roof, it was still very quiet with only a wee bit of noise traveling 75-80 mph. More noticeable with the sun roof shade open, barely noticeable with it closed. The Aero Blade is much more quiet than my older style Yakima (round bar) and Thule (square bar) racks, even with a front fairing on those racks.

Also glad to have the Sirius radio, as not much in radio stations and sometimes I get tired of listening to song library on my iPod, even though its quite extensive.

Wow,

Two totally positive reviews in a row. How great is that? Also, the MPG sounds really good. What motors are in your Ex's?

Thanks,

TW

The Limited evidently has a lot more sound deadening insulation than the XLT because I think the Explorer is relatively noisy. Compared to my Nissan Murano, it's noisier, and not nearly as smooth. Although if you compare it to prior generations of the Explorer, this one is better.

Mileage is improved as well, I am averaging a bit over 25 mpg on the interstate running 70 mph. In town I'm averaging right at 18 mpg. This is a huge improvement over the 4.0 L engine in the prior generations. I would get 18 - 19 on the highway and about 14 in town.

Wow,

Two totally positive reviews in a row. How great is that? Also, the MPG sounds really good. What motors are in your Ex's?

Thanks,

TW

I've got 3.6L V6 and averaged just under 17 mpg, but mpg was negatively influenced by the cargo box (profile isn't very aero) and a bike with a bug cover. Plus the car was fully loaded with luggage, coolers of food and three adults. Also, we were traveling in the Adirondacks with lots of hill climbing.

As for the noise, the car is really, really quiet. I tested the rack alone at 100 mph and there was some slight noise but nothing significant that would cause you to increase the radio volume.

I heard that the 2016 Explorers got some more noise deadening material, but that maybe only the models above the XLT.

Oh, and the Ex has the OEM Hankooks, which ride pretty well IMHO.

My 2015 XLT is really quiet inside the cabin. I've got the 3.5L V6. No rattles, squeaks, or any loud road noise. It just seems to glide along. So far so good, but only have about 350 miles on it yet. It came with Michelin tires if that has anything to do with it.

Back