• Register Today It's free!

2017 Explorer ABS module failure

4havnfun

Reaction score
City, State
Arnprior, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Edge Titanium
Just picked up our 2017 Explorer Platinum on Monday and we haven't got off to a very auspicious start.

1st trip out on the highway the cruise kick off and a slew of warnings popped up on the dash; ABS, collision warning, terrain management, hill descent, collision warning but thankfully no wrench! Within a couple of minutes all the faults cleared and I reengaged the cruise and kept going. Stopped the car and started fine for the drive home without any issues.

The next morning the same warnings & faults reappear as soon as I start the engine and this time they only clear after 40 miles and a few more engine restarts. Driving home I'm within 1/2 mile of the dealership and they all reappear, only to clear again by the time I reach the dealership.

Dealership pulled the codes and is talking with Ford about where to go from here. They claim to have it narrowed down to the left rear wheel speed sensor or the ABS module. Waiting for a call back as to when to take it back in as I'd rather be driving my new Explorer than some stripped Focus loaner. I have confidence they'll get it sorted but as I said before, not off to a very auspicious start.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just picked up our 2017 Explorer Platinum on Monday and we haven't got off to a very auspicious start.

1st trip out on the highway the cruise kick off and a slew of warnings popped up on the dash; ABS, collision warning, terrain management, hill descent, collision warning but thankfully no wrench! Within a couple of minutes all the faults cleared and I reengaged the cruise and kept going. Stopped the car and started fine for the drive home without any issues.

The next morning the same warnings & faults reappear as soon as I start the engine and this time they only clear after 40 miles and a few more engine restarts. Driving home I'm within 1/2 mile of the dealership and they all reappear, only to clear again by the time I reach the dealership.

Dealership pulled the codes and is talking with Ford about where to go from here. They claim to have it narrowed down to the left rear wheel speed sensor or the ABS module. Waiting for a call back as to when to take it back in as I'd rather be driving my new Explorer than some stripped Focus loaner. I have confidence they'll get it sorted but as I said before, not off to a very auspicious start.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
You're the first one I recall that is a member from "up the valley". Hope the dealer gets everything straightened out.

Peter

Update - It took Ford over a week to finally approve the replacement of the ABS module which the dealer identified as being the most likely cause of my issues last Wednesday. Had the vehicle back for a day and so far so good. Very unimpressed with Ford and their lack of responsiveness to problems on day 1 for a $60k vehicle. Someone in management needs to give their head a shake if they think this is acceptable. Reached out through social media last week and got a call back but never heard from them again after being promised daily updates.

Final problem was said to be a bad connection inside the ABS module that would cause it to regularly and repeatedly lose data from one of the wheel speed sensors and taking out almost all of the electronic safety, 4wd and other driver aids including; ABS, stability control, traction control. hill starts assist, intelligent 4wd, pre collision warning, cruise control, front & rear parking sensors, lane keeping, auto park. I may have missed a few but basically it was like going back to driving my 78 Econoline!

Mods - if you see this please change the title to "2017 Explorer ABS module failure" as my post got moved from new member introductions. thanks

The saga continues...

After a few months of relatively trouble free driving the car started throwing the same ABS suite of errors although this time it was also losing the external temperature display. I took it into Mulinax Ford in New Smyrna Beach as I'm in Florida for a few months and they replaced a wheel sensor based upon codes that were in the memory of the car. About 2 weeks later the errors started again, throwing the same ABS relates errors. Took it back to Mulinax and after 2 days they tell me to pick up the car as there are no codes and they can't recreate the problem.

I'm getting so frustrated and starting to really regret buying an Explorer.

Current issues
Recurring ABS faults
Surging at low speed when restarted when warmed up
Rough ride ( feels like egg shaped tires but tires have been eliminated as source, running Michelin Defenders that have been road force balanced twice)

Need to figure out whether I should contact US or Canada customer service to get this resolved in Florida.

The saga continues...

After a few months of relatively trouble free driving the car started throwing the same ABS suite of errors although this time it was also losing the external temperature display. I took it into Mulinax Ford in New Smyrna Beach as I'm in Florida for a few months and they replaced a wheel sensor based upon codes that were in the memory of the car. About 2 weeks later the errors started again, throwing the same ABS relates errors. Took it back to Mulinax and after 2 days they tell me to pick up the car as there are no codes and they can't recreate the problem.

I'm getting so frustrated and starting to really regret buying an Explorer.

Current issues
Recurring ABS faults
Surging at low speed when restarted when warmed up
Rough ride ( feels like egg shaped tires but tires have been eliminated as source, running Michelin Defenders that have been road force balanced twice)

Need to figure out whether I should contact US or Canada customer service to get this resolved in Florida.

I feel your pain. When I got my '16 Platinum, their was something wrong with the Navigation System. It took several weeks of going back and forth and ordering parts, I posted a not so friendly message onto Yelp on their FB page. The next thing I know, ownership took over and I got the car fixed in days. This was back in March 2016. I bought the car in February 2016.

Other than that, I'm very happy with my EXP. Good luck, my friend.

.........Need to figure out whether I should contact US or Canada customer service to get this resolved in Florida.
I would say US customer service or FordService on the Forum.
I haven't had a chance to drive on the OEM tires yet. They are in dealer storage as I had them put the Winters on before leaving the dealer. I hope the Hankooks are as smooth riding as the Blizzaks.

Peter

Back